Spot Fixing Scandal Thread: The Legend Continues

P

pcfan123

We'll have to agree to disagree.

I think match fixing,spot fixing is exponentially worse.

angryangy

ICC Chairman
Ethically speaking, performance enhancing drugs are much more complicated than match fixing. While it's fair to say that there is a line to be crossed, a lot of athletes, perhaps most, will do anything that's allowed in order to get the edge. That logically extends to whatever they can get away with. Just look at the way fouls or free kicks are worked by players in a variety of team sports.

You're of course allowed to have a natural born advantage over an opponent. You're also allowed to train harder and smarter. You're allowed to have an enhanced diet and use better equipment. So what exactly is that line? Where do pain killers and electrolytic drinks fit in? Different sports have different answers to these questions.

In that sense, the comparison with ball tampering makes sense. The laws of cricket say you're allowed to affect the ball, just not too much. In practice, the umpires permit quite a lot of affectation. Tampering is not simply something that was invented for Pakistanis 20 years ago. Teams have been slathering Brylcreem, sunscreen and mints on the ball for almost as long as these products have existed.

In a way, fans will accept the results of tampering and PED use, as long as they don't know about it. However, under-performing does not please fans, whether by contrivance or sheer ineptitude.

fisch

Club Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
We'll have to agree to disagree.

I think match fixing,spot fixing is exponentially worse.

It's not always about the money, it's also disillusionment with the game. You can scoff at that if you like. Sportspeople are quite single-minded, they experience extreme highs when they win, lows when they lose. Match-fixers have somehow found themselves detached from this mindset. They've somehow developed an apathy towards winning and losing. They're more complicated, in my opinion. I grew up through the Cronje saga, so maybe I have less of a knee-jerk reaction because I've seen it before. Money does play a part, but it's the falling out of love with the game, your team and your country that provides the catalyst to everything else.

Cricketman

ICC Chairman
As I am procrastinating of 2 ginromous projects and college application essays, I decided to have a crack at a match fixers XI. :)

Salman Butt
Herchelle Gibbs
Ajay Jadeja
Mohammad Azharudhin
Saleem Malik
Hansie Cronje (C)
Kamran Akmal (i'm sure he's done it, haha)
Nicky Boje
Mohommad Asif
Ata-ur-Rahman
Mohommad Amir
12th: Marlon Samuels

Not too bad of an XI, haha :p

Themer

Chairman of Selectors
BBC Sport - Cricket - ICC upholds Pakistan suspensions

Still coming in but they've had their bans upheld. Never saw them being overruled though to be fair so I'm not sure this holds that much significance. Hopefully when the news filters through properly we will have a proper date for their trial as well.

They're blatantly guilty so why they're dragging their names further into the mud is beyond me and as such I'd ban them all for life as they had the chance to come clean, save face and help the authorities but they've done the opposite. Some of Butt's comments of late have been bordering on lunacy.

Iridium

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
New Zealand
Yea, saw that coming from a mile off. Not sure what they said to try and clear their names but I'm guessing it would have been pretty ridiculous. And Butt was so confident that he would clear himself.

Asif probably saw that there was no way to explain his way out of it so withdrew this appeal. They should've done the same.

Insomniac

Title Recipient
Yea, saw that coming from a mile off. Not sure what they said to try and clear their names but I'm guessing it would have been pretty ridiculous. And Butt was so confident that he would clear himself.

Asif probably saw that there was no way to explain his way out of it so withdrew this appeal. They should've done the same.
That, and there was no point since he can't enter the UAE.

Sureshot

Executive member
Yeah, his record really doesn't help given the ICC is based on Dubai. His own fault, though.

P

pcfan123

Too bad there is no ICL to go to either. These guys are finished, they will probably be banned from being involved in any aspect of cricket, including coaching. At least I hope they are.

The ICC should release every single iota of evidence they have when they hand down the final bans. No doubt many out there will still not believe it, even if they see it with their own eyes.

Mark added 1 Minutes and 49 Seconds later...

Some of Butt's comments of late have been bordering on lunacy.

He is the worst, I really used to like him as a player but as a person he is very shameless. Unfortunately for him the rest of the world is not as stupid and gullible as his supporters.

Sureshot

Executive member
Yup, I agree, I think the evidence should be released on the basis of showing that if you cross us, we will ban and embarass you in public. It will genuinely be sad if they don't get lifetime bans.

Users who are viewing this thread