Spot Fixing Scandal Thread: The Legend Continues

sami ullah khan

Panel of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
^Are you kidding? These guys betrayed their country. As per law of Pakistan, that is treason and the punishment for treason is death penalty. I wish Chief Justice of Pakistan takes suo moto notice of these clowns and hangs them.

StinkyBoHoon

National Board President
It's interesting how this will work, in most cases when high profile people are found guilty they're given community services, but can they do that? they'd have to force them to stay in britain to do it. Plus with the severity of the crimes you'd be looking at 2 years worth of commitment to them.

I have no idea what they'll get really, guilty on 4 charges is quite a lot to just get a slap on the wrist. given he pled guilty I doubt Amir will get any jail time though.

shravi

National Board President
Profile Flag
India
I think jail-time is a little too serious a punishment. I think they should just be banned for life from their livelihood. Of course, it's not upto me.

barmyarmy

Retired Administrator
Banning them from playing cricket isn't a sanction the court has available. I think that a jail sentence will send a very strong message even if the length is only tokenistic.

Sureshot

Executive member
I dont know what are the rules regarding their criminal liability, but the ban ICC has given them is fair.

Um, that's been the whole point of this trial. It's a criminial prosecution brought by the police, it has nothing to do with the ICC as criminal prosecution is outside of their jurisdiction.

This is all about them breaking the laws of the UK. I'm a little surprised some people are only just catching on to this, what did you think the trial was for?

Their liability is potentially 9 years in jail for Asif and Butt. Really have no idea why people think just a ban from the ICC (who wouldn't have been able to enforce said ban at all levels, they have no power to, in reality) is fair. This is corruption of hundreds of thousands of pounds.

As Colin said, they'll probably tootle off to Dubai and never face the custodial sentences they are likely to face.

It's time for cricket to get tough.

Themer

Chairman of Selectors
Good.

As said this isn't about bans or fines. This is about the serious crimes that they have committed of which they deserve to be sent to prison in my eyes. If this was some government official who'd committed a fraud of similar monetary value people who be up in arms demanding him arrested. Because they're cricketers they should be treated differently? No way.

----------

Given bail. Where are the non-extradition countries again?

Passports being surrendered are usually part of any bail deal so I doubt they can skip the country to said countries.

shravi

National Board President
Profile Flag
India
I know that that it should happen and I know they are guilty and should be treated as such, but I became inexplicably sympathetic when the question of jail-time arose. Like I said, it's not upto me though and I'm glad it's not.

Sureshot

Executive member
I think it is hard to imagine a sportsman going to prison, it's quite odd, the likes of Cronje and the various others from other sports never faced jail-time.

P

pcfan123

Conviction is good enough. Their convicted felons now, that is a lifelong punishment.

ballers101

Club Cricketer
I think some people need to relax. Death penalty...really? I understand that this may have been a bad decision but death penalty for SPOT fixing. Not match-fixing mind you, but spot-fixing. I think there should be no criminal recourse because at the end of the day, no person has ever been sent to jail (in any sport mind you) for spot-fixing.

shravi

National Board President
Profile Flag
India
They have been found guilty of spot fixing because that was the only one instance that was documented. Maybe if NOTW had not documented that, that instance wouldn't have been surfaced either. They have already said they are looking into irregularities shown in other matches as well. The no balls were just an indication to Mahmood of the power Majeed had over the two bowlers. It was to show that he was serious and he was telling the truth. There's no telling how much further this whole thing stretches or would/could have stretched if Mahmood wasn't an undercover reporter.

Who was calling for the death penalty? :S

Users who are viewing this thread