STALKER Clear Sky

MasterBlaster76

ICC Chairman
Online Cricket Games Owned
Hi guys, I remember when this first came out, it was supposed to be somewhat buggy (PC Gamer only gave it 66%). Has anyone got it and have the bugs now been squished? I've heard that there are some mods out there that help with some problems as well, so can anyone in the know tell me the ones I need? I've found the game for ?5 at Zavvi! Everyone else seems to be doing it for ?15...

The bugs were fixed basically upon release, there have been 7 patches overall, so its all ironed out now. I suggest you pick up STALKER Shadow of Chernobyl however, its a better overall game than Clear Sky, and mods such as 'Oblivion Lost' are terrific, completely changing the game. SoC is more open world than Clear Sky, which was a bit more focused on linearity than its predecessor.

I'd pick them both up, you can get SoC for a fiver.

The bugs were fixed basically upon release, there have been 7 patches overall, so its all ironed out now. I suggest you pick up STALKER Shadow of Chernobyl however, its a better overall game than Clear Sky, and mods such as 'Oblivion Lost' are terrific, completely changing the game. SoC is more open world than Clear Sky, which was a bit more focused on linearity than its predecessor.

I'd pick them both up, you can get SoC for a fiver.

I bought SoC a long time ago, now I'm playing it again thanks to the Stalker 2009 Complete mod, a graphical overhaul among other things. Dunno if it includes 'Oblivion Lost'. What does that do exactly? And would you say that CS is still fairly open ended? I probably won't play it until I've finished SoC (which I never actually got round to doing last time round!) One of the things I love about the game is you never ever feel like some kind of superior being that can destroy everything in sight without breaking sweat: if you get jumped in the open by a pack of dogs, you're in real trouble!!

Either way, CS is going to be a long game, isn't it, like SoC?

Also, really looking forwards to 'Call of Pripyat (spelling?)'

As Clear Sky is a prequel to SoC, its far shorter, at around 10 hours. It's design is more linear in that you are transported to areas of the Zone rather than treking there yourself, and there are therefore lots of smaller maps coming together to make the Zone itself.

It's a top game though, still got that STALKER magic, especially at night time when its completely pitch black, and you hear gunfire followed by nashing of teeth. Time to run!

Oblivion Lost is a complete overhaul which aims to build on the atmosphere of SoC, and times it by ten. It turns the Zone into a brutal place, where you'll find yourself fighting bandits simply for vodka to prevent radiation. It's probably the best community mod I've ever played, and considering I've played most of those for Half Life 2, thats saying a lot.

In the words of the mod team, the aim is "Total free play, modified A-Life, reality enhancement, better AI, faction wars with cooperative game play."

You'll need to start a new game with it, otherwise it will corrupt. Whether it works with the 2009 mod I'm not sure, although I dont see why not.

Oblivion Lost.

Call of Pripyat completes the trilogy later this year, and the devs have said it is returning to the open world feel of SoC, whilst encorporating the graphics and action of Clear Sky.

Last edited:
It's always the way, isn't it? You get deep into the game and then up pops a good looking mod that requires a restart.

CS is only costing me ?5, so it doesn't matter too much if it's short.

Looks like I won't get the game any time soon - it's got mixed up in the latest damned postal strike...

Users who are viewing this thread