Step Into the Spotlight (FM07)

blake

School Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
(Note - the currency in this game is AUD, and wages are listed per annum, rather than weekly or monthly. Just to get a rough idea of the conversion rate, 10000 AUD = 4725 pounds)

A young, unemployed Blake E today stepped into the spotlight, announcing his intentions to manage an English football side. He had no records of managing any teams or even playing at all and he seems to be a relative newcomer to the game. The Australian, who is now living in England as part of his journey to become a world-class manager has told the media that he would be glad to manage any club, to familiarise himself with the game and the role of managing, and to become known around the world. This is it - my managing career starts now.

July 4th, 2006

"Well, I'm not an American but I'm going to be celebrating this date," spoke out Blake E, newly appointed manager of Brighton and Hove Albion at a recent press conference.
Despite having virtually no managing and playing experience, league 1 outfit Brighton and Hove Albion have offered Blake E a contract after he applied for their vacant job. Considering Blake E has never managed a game before, it seems somewhat of a miracle that they have offered him a contract.

Some of the fans are doubtful at the signing of this new Australian manager, but only time will tell what will happen from here.

The contract will keep Blake E at the club until June 2009 earning $200,000 per annum, and offers a wage budget of 3.1M and a transfer budget of $125,000. Manager Blake E is set to be over the moon with these figures and whilst the transfer budget is a bit small he says he has a lot of space with the wage budget and will be looking to bring in young players and those on free transfers.

(Note - I'm in awe, on other FM games when I have started unemployed usually it takes me half a year to find a Conference team that actually doesn't reject me. A League one team that accepts me on my first offer? Unbelievable.)

0,,10433~3313995,00.jpg

July 8th, 2006

Today I would be managing my first ever game - a home friendly against struggling Championship side Sunderland. It was going to be a very tough first match and I would be very happy with a draw or better. I hadn't looked at signing anybody in the short four days that I had been at Brighton - rather I had spent it assigning training schedules, looking around the club and studying player levels. Our lineup for the friendly against Sunderland was going to be:

GK Wayne Henderson

DL Kerry Mayo
DC Adam El-Abd
DC Adam Hinshelwood
DR Joel Lynch

ML Alexandre Frutos
MC Dean Hammond
MC Paul Reid
MR Gary Hart

FC Alex Revell
FC Jake Robinson

S1 Michael Kuipers (GK)
S2 Doug Loft (AM LC)
S3 Maheta Molango (ST)
S4 Joe Gatting (ST)
S5 Georges Santos (D C, DM)
S6 Richard Carpenter (MC)

Injured:

Charlie Oatway (DM)

I had elected for a simple attacking 4-4-2, electing to run our wingers up the field. I was probably going to make a few changes along the course of the match and was just treating this as a match to get the players ready for the new season and to see how my team played unter certain strategies.

The First Half

05:25 - Jake Robinson had a golden opportunity to open the scoring for Brighton as he skipped through the defence thanks to a good through ball from Dean Hammond, but he just shaved it over the bar, resulting in a Sunderland goal kick.

_40862775_jakerobinson_ai203.jpg

Jake Robinson's shot skimmed the bar but just missed

15:19 - Our goalkeeper Wayne Henderson pulled off two great saves in a row, first saving an in-swinging long range penalty bomb, and then blocking a powerful shot from another Sunderland striker who had collected the rebounds of the first save.

bh_goalie_266x350.jpg

Wayne Henderson removes a bottle thrown onto the pitch by an angry Sunderland fan after his two good saves

17:16 - Striker Alex Revell missed a 1 on 1 opportunity with the goalkeeper after a brilliant throughball from midfielder Paul Reid set him up in the box. Unfortunately he sprayed it high and wide to the left. Brighton had been playing well up to this point, but had been unable to convert so far.

0,,10433~3349057,00.jpg

Alex Revell with the ball for Brighton

25:01 - Dean Hammond had a chance to knock in a header after Kerry Mayo crossed in a free kick to the box, but he sprayed it wildly, the Sunderland goalkeeper not even needing to move to it.

400x400_DeanHammondNew.jpg

Dean Hammond can afford to smile after his poor attempt on goal

46:01 - Sunderland's Liam Miller sends in a crashing long range shot, but it skims the bar and goes over, relieving the pressure for Brighton as half time approaches.

Liam-Miller-SUNDERLAND-V-BLACKBURN-ROVERS_569252.jpg

Liam Miller in action for Sunderland

47:21 - The referee brings proceedings to a solid first half. The half time score: 0-0.

SpeakOutHughDallas.jpg

Next Update: The Second Half, Team Profiles

Last edited:

blake

School Cricketer
The Second Half

I immediately made some changes off the bench to begin the second half. Adam Hinshelwood, Alexandre Frutos, and Gary Hart were all replaced at half time by Loft, Santos and Carpenter. I was looking to take off anybody with a yellow card or who was playing poorly to give other people a run. Sunderland had also made some half time changes, and we were ready to kick off.

56:14 - Richard Carpenter fired in a fierce free kick from long range but it was fingertipped over the bar by the Sunderland goalkeeper in a desperate attempt.

_42618237_richardcarpenter_getty203.jpg

Richard Carpenter fired in a great free kick which was just saved by the Sunderland goalkeeper

66:45 - I made some more changes to our side, bringing on 2 more substitutions; Molango and Gatting coming on up front in place of Revell and Robinson. I was looking for some fresh blood up front and perhaps a goal out of this new pair.

000_16_16_47_cort.jpg

Maheta Molengo was one of the new faces introduced at the 67th minute

75:41 - Paul Reid smashes the living daylights out of the ball at the goals but it flies well to the left. I think a few of the defenders were getting out of the way of that one!

0,,10433~3349039,00.jpg

Paul Reid gets around a defender and then fires in a furious shot, but it fails to add to the 0-0 scoreline

86:30 - Disaster for Brighton as Jonathan Stead puts one into the back of the net for Sunderland late in the match. Wayne Henderson had been having a good game up to this point but there was really nothing he could do as Stead put it straight through the defence with ease. 1-0 Sunderland.

0,,10418~3325514,00.jpg

Jonathan Stead was the goal scorer for Sunderland

90:25 - Neill Collins sealed the deal for Sunderland with a crushing blow in stoppage time. The Brighton defence looked in disarray as Sunderland passed it around expertly and finished off sealing the match with a goal. 2-0 Sunderland.

_41194458_whitehead-action300.jpg

Neill Collins celebrates after putting in the winner for Sunderland

94:24 - The referee ends the game. Sunderland only won it in the last 10 minutes with two late goals to Stead and Collins respectably but it wasn't a shocking effort by Brighton in their first game under newly appounted manager.

582.jpg

Sunderland celebrate after they scored two late goals to beat league one side Brighton

Last edited:

blake

School Cricketer
Team Profiles

1. Wayne Henderson (GK)

waynehenderson.jpg

Height: 180cm
Weight: 78km
Nationality: Ireland
Preferred Foot: Right
International: 2 caps for Ireland
Games at Brighton: 32
Games in Career: 49

This Irish 22-year old goalkeeper is the current first team goalkeeper for the Brighton squad. He started off his career at Cherry Orchard, an amateur club in the Irish Leinster Senior League Premier at the age of just 15 and played there for two years before signing with Premier League outfit Aston Villa after showing great promise when he was 17 years old. However, he didn't get the opportunity to play in the first team in the six years he spent there. During his time at Aston Villa, he also went on loan to Tamworth, who competed in the Conference National at the time, as well as visiting Wycombe and most recently Notts County. Finally, Brighton signed him for $50,000 at the end of the 2005 season, and he has remained there since, becoming a crucial part of their first team. He has also earned 2 caps for his country Ireland in his career, and there could be more to follow as he matures with age.

2. Michel Kuipers (GK)

michelkuipers.jpg

Height: 188cm
Weight: 93kg
Nationality: Holland
International: No caps
Games at Brighton: 139
Games in Career: 158

Michel Kuipers is currently the backup goalie for Wayne Henderson and is his replacement when he is injured or in poor form. The Dutch 32 year old originally started his career at Bristol City in 1998, however he only played one senior game and was free transferred to Brighton midway through 2000. During his time at Brighton, he has been loaned to Hull and Boston, where he played as a first-team goalkeeper. He is currently valued at $95,000 and the assistant manager has reported on him as being a key part of our first team and he will be involved in our drive for success and promotion. He has uncapped for his country Holland and as he grows older it is unlikely he ever will be, but he still has a future ahead of him at Brighton, the club he has played at for 6 years.

3. Adam El-Abd (DR, DC)

adam_elabd.jpg

Height: 178cm
Weight: 85kg
Nationality: England
Games at Brighton: 56
Games in Career: 56

This young English midfielder is a crucial part of the Hove Albion squad. At just 21 years of age, he still has a long career ahead of him and has already proven himself to be a quality defender in the first team for Brighton. He began his career at Brighton in 2002 at the age of 18 and has featured 56 times in the first team for the Seagulls, in the process concreting a first team spot with some good performances. He is currently valued at $150,000 and his contract will keep him at the club until 2009.

Last edited:

Kiko_97

User Title Purchaser
Profile Flag
England
Great start and good luck liking the presentation KUTGW mate

blake

School Cricketer
4. Adam Hinshelwood (DR, DC)

adam_hinshelwood.jpg

Height: 178cm
Weight: 81kg
International: 2 U21 caps for England
Games at Brighton: 73
Games in Career: 73

Now we take a look at another young talented defender, Adam Hinshelwood. At just 22 years of age, he is one of the younger members in the Hove Albion squad. He represented the English under 21 side twice, and he is valued at $160,000. He isn't of a big build, at just 178cm and 81kg, but his physical attributes make up for it. Hinshelwood started his career in 2001, at Hove Albion. He didn't play a game in his first season, but as the then 17-year old trained harder and progressed through the ranks he began to earn himself a regular spot in the side. He has played 73 matches for Hove Albion and scored 1 goal. He is one of the current first-team players for Hove Albion and has a good future.

5. Joel Lynch (DL, DC)

joel_lynch.jpg

Height: 186cm
Weight: 72kg
Preferred Foot: Left
Games at Brighton: 16
Games in Career: 16

This young 18-year old defender has yet to make a huge impact to the game but the signs are all there. Joel Lynch has been training brilliantly lately and it looks like he might just stamp his name down as a regular first team player. Last season he played 16 games for Brighton, scoring one goal and he looms as a very bright prospect in the future with a big career ahead of him. He is already valued at $120,000 and his contract keeps him at the Seagulls until June 2009. This young defender possess good tackling skills, mainly, but has good heading, technique, first touch and long throws, and also possess good physical attributes. With the way he is training, he will definitely be one for Hove Albion's future.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread