Steve Waugh named Australian of the Year

Rangeela

International Coach
Online Cricket Games Owned
John Howard, the Australian prime minister, has named Steve Waugh as the Australian of the Year for 2004.

Currently playing for New South Wales in a Pura cup match against Western Australia, Waugh could not be at the awards, but expressed gratitude for the title.

"Simply, thank you for the honour," he said. "In accepting I hope the award will help the focus on me to be about more than just cricket. If it is meant as a recognition in some way of the other work I've done in the community in Australia and in India then I'm grateful indeed."

Waugh's role in humanitarian causes was recognised, as well as the influence he exerted in Australian cricket, as the award was conferred to him. With this award, Waugh joins Allan Border and Mark Taylor as the only cricketers to be named Australian of the Year.

Earlier this month, Waugh announced his retirement from international cricket, ending an eventful 18-year old career. With him in the one-day team, Australia won two World cups, and reached the finals of another. Under his captaincy, the Test side became a dominant force, and set the benchmarks in international cricket.

Users who are viewing this thread