Swine Flu pandemic

Is this going to be serious?

• Total voters

Highlander999

ICC President
Surprised there isn't a thread on this already. I see that it has now hit Britain:

- There are 40 laboratory-confirmed cases of swine flu in the US, 26 in Mexico, six in Canada and one in Spain, the World Health Organization (WHO) said on Monday
- Tests are also being carried out on individuals or groups in New Zealand, Australia, Brazil, Britain and Israel who fell ill following travel to Mexico
- The United States and the European Union have urged travellers to Mexico to exercise caution
- WHO experts have raised the global pandemic alert level from three to four on a six-point scale
- Mexico: 149 dead - 26 confirmed cases
- United States: 40 confirmed cases of swine flu
- Canada: 6 confirmed cases
- UK: 2 confirmed cases
- Spain: 1 confirmed case
- UK, Spain, Israel, Brazil, Australia and New Zealand: suspected cases being tested

BBC NEWS | UK | Swine flu cases confirmed in UK

Simbazz

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
Its far too early to tell really. I just don't like the fact that I go to a university in a city. It makes my chances of contracting it a lot higher! Bit OTT to say such thing at the minute but holds true.

Bloody Mexicans!

In all seriousness, in 2009 we should have the necessary tools to keep the fatalities low.

Mercules

Club Cricketer
As long as its treated as though it will cause a pandemic, it will not.

fisch

Club Cricketer
Public poll, eh? Guilty as charged, baby.

jordox

International Cricketer
As long as its treated as though it will cause a pandemic, it will not.

Yep, I agree.

Although unless they don't stuff it up like they did in "28 Weeks Later". Jeez, stupid medical and military personnel.

I didn't mean to vote for Tom is sexy.... I swear :o

Jaztheman

Chairman of Selectors
Don't think it'll cause a pandemic, will no doubt be stopped before peaking. Media always blow these things out of proportion.

smssia0112

Chairman of Selectors
I hope it is the media blowing it out of proportion. We have to treat it very carefully though, fear leads to awareness at least. Still, it's pretty damn scary! Reminds you of year 8 history on the Black Plague - although we may know more about what it is than they did back then and how it is caused, we're still largely unprepared for it.

Kev

Chairman of Selectors
It should be pointed out that the cases outside of Mexico have generally just lead to people being a bit flu-ey(that's the technical term).

Anyone want a bit of my bacon sarnie? *cough* *cough* *sneeze*

Leggie

Chairman of Selectors
It should be pointed out that the cases outside of Mexico have generally just lead to people being a bit flu-ey(that's the technical term).

Anyone want a bit of my bacon sarnie? *cough* *cough* *sneeze*

They just said last night on BBC that you can't get this Swine Flu by eating pork, etc. ;)

I was watching it last night and currently I have the standard Flu, therefore I have been off School for 2 days, and they announced that the symptoms include; Sore throat, fever, body ache, headache, chills, etc. I was like WTF, I have those exact same symptoms :eek: My mom just laguhed at me :p

evertonfan

Chairman of Selectors
It's just a classic diversion story from the media. Instead of focusing on the usual drab state of our economy they are using this swine flue as a smoke screen so we forget about it for a bit. It's just another bird flu.

Simbazz

Chairman of Selectors
I've got bigger problems currently! My iPhone is on the blink of dying!

To keep my post relatively on topic, IT could get serious, but probably wont.

Will_NA

Chairman of Selectors
I've got hayfever so I guess that means when I sneeze, my desk will be quarantined.

ste_mc_efc

Chairman of Selectors
It's just a classic diversion story from the media. Instead of focusing on the usual drab state of our economy they are using this swine flue as a smoke screen so we forget about it for a bit. It's just another bird flu.

<disagrees>

The media has been happily reporting the "credit crunch" (a horrible term) for ages. So much so that's it's not news and will no longer sell papers.

If it's sensationalist it's not to disguise a malady far worse; it's to sell papers.

Skater

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
They just said last night on BBC that you can't get this Swine Flu by eating pork, etc. ;)

I was watching it last night and currently I have the standard Flu, therefore I have been off School for 2 days, and they announced that the symptoms include; Sore throat, fever, body ache, headache, chills, etc. I was like WTF, I have those exact same symptoms :eek: My mom just laguhed at me :p
What you've got isn't even flu, it's just a cold. I've got one at the moment, caused by the stress of Norwich losing to Ipswich. Unless you've been in contact with someone who has just come from Mexico then you are fine. And you won't die anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread