Text Speak

Status
Not open for further replies.

wolf

International Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
I have just had a quick glance at the forum rules, and I can't see anything in there about members using text speak. I don't know about most people, but it just annoys the hell out of me.

The admins/mods of this forum do a very good job, and are often very strict. I find it amazing that there is not one rule about text speak.

It just makes the post so annoying to read, and there will be members whose first language is not English, and find it difficult enough as it is.

I wondered if anything could be done about this.

evertonfan

Chairman of Selectors
I'll echo Wolf's views but I don't really think too much can be done. We can't exactly go around deleting every post with a 'u' or 'afridi iz da bestest' because it would require too much work I imagine.

Definitley would like it removed though, can't stand people text speaking on forums.

Outlander

Club Cricketer
i think we should have like a word replace meant thing so if u tyoe

thanx it turns into thanks

ppl- People
Plz please etc....

it turns it automatically into it. u can do it with phpbb not sure bout vbulletin

more

u- You
na- No

Jaztheman

Chairman of Selectors
Outlander said:
i think we should have like a word replace meant thing so if u tyoe

thanx it turns into thanks

ppl- People
Plz please etc....

it turns it automatically into it. u can do it with phpbb not sure bout vbulletin

more

u- You
na- No

kind of condridicting yourself there mate :rolleyes:

PhilD123

International Coach
It also annoys the hell out of me, I dont think every post should be edited/deleted as its far too much work for mods/admins however I believe that persistant offenders should be warned about it.

It also suprises me that on this forum, a lot of the people who use text speak are not actually English.

evertonfan

Chairman of Selectors
What surprises me even more is that there are some foreign members who have better grasp of the English language than some of the actual English members do.

voldemort

International Coach
i suppose yes that will work... such abbrevations can be marked as filtered and be replaced by the full versions... But personally i think it is not quite necessary banning them because it comes in handy if you dont have time to post long...

embi

International Coach
The people who use it generally get enough abuse from some people. It is a shame that they use it, because it automatically degrades the quality of the post (ie i am much less likely to agree with it etc)

Will_NA

Chairman of Selectors
Well, I think it should be alright for someone to use text language once or twice in a message as long as the message is still comprehensible:

It is still pretty easy 2 read dis, isn't it?

Outlander

Club Cricketer
lol yeah

btw i am saying we should change it coz even i slip sometimes.

do the change thing as i suggested

w3lshrugby

Panel of Selectors
evertonfan said:
What surprises me even more is that there are some foreign members who have better grasp of the English language than some of the actual English members do.
Now that doesnt surprise me (to a major extent). A Swedish girl in my class at school knows how to use English better than (most) people, maybe bar me. I can't really explain why, just thought I'd point it out.

Will_NA

Chairman of Selectors
I know this is off topic and I apologise in advance but you have a Swedish girl in your class!? You lucky bum! :mad:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread