Text Speak

Status
Not open for further replies.

puddleduck

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
w3lshrugby said:
Now that doesnt surprise me (to a major extent). A Swedish girl in my class at school knows how to use English better than (most) people, maybe bar me. I can't really explain why, just thought I'd point it out.

It's because they are taught English in terms of grammar in the same way we are taught something like French. We learn English more through those around us.

Oh, and yes something in the rules should state that any posts written in text speak can be abused without retribution. Obviously there should be some leeway and within reason, but entire posts that read like a 12 year olds text message written by a monkey with no hands do not deserve anything but ritual abuse and possibly a public flogging.

I may disagree with Andrew from times to times regarding deleted posts and locked threads, but he does clamp down on those sinners of the English language :)

Last edited:

Simbazz

Chairman of Selectors
I know for some types of boards there is a mod that you can get to auto-change words such as cos to either because or just cause.

I don't know about these boards as i haven't been lucky enough to even mod on Vbulletin (thats what these are right?)

evertonfan

Chairman of Selectors
Problem with that though is that the 'coz' thing you mentioned could lead to the word being wrongly interpreted and making a post confusing. Although to be fair, anyone who is too lazy to even type properly doesn't deserve their posts to make complete sense.

And yes these are vBulletin. Hence the vBookie.

embi

International Coach
12) Language: To do our job properly, staff must be able to read and understand all posts. To this end could all posts please be in English

Thats the only thing which could apply to it, a bit vague though...

Skater

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
Why do people type "pwns" or "pwnd"? I believe it means owns and owned, as in someone or something is better than it's rival, but what's with the "p"? I've wondered this for a while.....

Hooper

ICC Board Member
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Whats IMO? I know thats probably a "noob" question but I dont care, I just wanna know what it means!!!!

Skater

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
Hooper said:
Whats IMO? I know thats probably a "noob" question but I dont care, I just wanna know what it means!!!!
"IMO" stands for "In my opinion".

Will_NA

Chairman of Selectors
lmao - laughing my ass off
lol - laughing out loud
lmfao - laughing my (:noway) ass off
btw - by the way
tbh - to be honest
imo - in my opinion
coz - because
kl - cool
omg - oh my god

The_gas

Chairman of Selectors
KMA = Kiss my ass
SIAS = suck it and see
RD = rectal discharge

There is no place on the forums for text talk. :rolleyes:

Leicester Fox

Chairman of Selectors
ye u can KMA (tnks Gas) imo txt spk is fin innit u mke me lmfao,lol. btw u r kl coz tbh u is like me lmoa,omg i have 2 go

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread