Your Cricket The Art of Legspin

Will Browne

Club Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
My friend bowls leggies like that- they turn a mile but they come out so loopy that they often either bouce over the stumps, or they don't have enough zip to beat the bat. Good for a batsman who likes to come down the track to the spinner though.

MUFC1987

Panel of Selectors
So many people bowl spin like that, simply because they don't drive through and complete their action. It's a really common problem with kids.

Will Browne

Club Cricketer
Yep, front arm is crucial even when bowling spin- people forget that- if you drive that through, it adds alot more weight to the delivery.

Lassana Dias

Club Cricketer
For me I am not a leg spinner, I am a left arm finger spinner, but I do bowl my chinaman as variation.

Its all about control and speed of the ball, and amount of turn you need to get the guy out. Not to abuse the guy and make fun of his batting and to see he make a hundred end of the day.

Where I come from, people do play spin very well. And wickets spin a lot, so you need to control the amount of turn

Vedarshi

School Cricketer
im a right arm leggie(finger spinner) but i try wrong uns by wrist spin-
the problem is:
1)i get the ball to zop around too much(yea TOO MUCH)due to which i get wides going down the off side for a righty
2)when i try to go for a ball which doesnt spin too much,it tends to go really loopy which enables the batsman to come down and hit or just wait and smash it through the onside or just cover drive it.
i want help for this please-can someone suggest a solution??

Lassana Dias

Club Cricketer
im a right arm leggie(finger spinner) but i try wrong uns by wrist spin-
the problem is:
1)i get the ball to zop around too much(yea TOO MUCH)due to which i get wides going down the off side for a righty
2)when i try to go for a ball which doesnt spin too much,it tends to go really loopy which enables the batsman to come down and hit or just wait and smash it through the onside or just cover drive it.
i want help for this please-can someone suggest a solution??

1) this is something i dont really like!! its like showing you off that you can spin the ball but not getting the wicket. Ok if you cant alter the amount of zip you put in to the ball try changing your wrist position. The object should be getting the batsman out always !!

2) Could be lot of things, but could be a problem in your bowling action!! Maybe batsman can see that you are not putting any work on the ball!! Don?t ever let them know whats in your mind mate

ahmadumair1

School Cricketer
i can bowl the:-
1. stock delivery (spins really good with the cricket ball-better than average on the tape ball)
2.googly -great on both tape and cricket ball
3.topspinner-easy one
4.flipper-aim not quite perfect but got a wicket with the first try!

Ahmad94

Staff Member
PAK...
KK
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
how do you bowl the wroung un. Struggling to get it right

darthlewis1

Club Captain
how do you bowl the wroung un. Struggling to get it right

I just turn my wrist around alot more so when I release it it's spinning the other way, its just getting used to releasing at the right time though as I'm still working on that.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
I'm still not getting how you do the flipper, I've watched the videos and it seems to be just like clicking your thumb but it comes out weird when I do that.

angryangy

ICC Chairman
That sounds normal for learning the flipper. That's why they tell you it takes four years. You'll probably find:

1. practising the flipper release a lot starts to hurt your hand
  2. when you try to bowl it, sometimes it might not even come out
  3. when it comes out, you're lucky to land it on the pitch
  4. when you do land it on the pitch, it's in your half

If you can actually get past all this, then you can start thinking about bowling it quicker and fuller so that it is useful.

It's worth noting that a true master can flip more than just one way; just as you can bowl leg breaks and wrong'uns over-the-wrist, the flipper technique can be bowled from different wrist positions to create bizarro backwards versions. This is why you find sometimes a player is described as bowling his flipper rather than the flipper. Though Grimmett is credited with the invention of the flipper, his preferred version was like a reverse slider, a vicious top spinning ball instead of the conventional back spinner. Indeed, the slider itself is a more than sufficient skidding delivery for many of those who wield it.

darthlewis1

Club Captain
Got 1-30 off 8 overs today bowling probably the best I've bowled this season, I didn't bowl a wide and was getting the ball in line quite well. I also had two fairly easy catches dropped and a plumb lbw not given due to biased umpiring.

Also what I try to do is bowl a googly quite early on in my spell or to a new batsmen as it will get them thinking even if the googly isn't that accurate it will still get the batsmen thinking alot more and he won't take as many risks.

Ahmad94

Staff Member
PAK...
KK
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
YOur used as a defensive option by your team. I Am used as an attacking bowler so i have to keep tossing it up got 5-60 of 8 overs the other day. Looks poor figures until you see how much the batsmen struggled. I am changing my style of bowling to a lest hand fast meduim to generate more speed so it is harder for the batsmen

ZoraxDoom

Respected Legend
On this attacking-defensive bowler thing, I noticed it doesn't have so much to do with your style of bowling but your mentality.

I'm an offspinner who flights it and tries to give it rip and keep it full...yet I'm primarily a defensive option. The way I bowl to a batsmen is usually with the aim of not letting him get easy runs, lure him into a false stroke, more then try and dismiss him with a ripper.

So you can be a flattish legspinner and still be attacking. Flight and rip are useful tools but don't always mean you are an attacking bowler.

angryangy

ICC Chairman
It's a complex dynamic in cricket and best not to pigeon-hole yourself or to think too much about it at all. All bowlers gamble in varying amounts, but while risks are usually distinct and measurable, the payouts vary in their proportion.

What we call a 'good' line and length is one for which a safe scoring shot is not apparent . So in that sense it is defensive. However, a good length ball, combined with appropriate line, should often hit the top of the stumps. The good length is thus one that forces the batsman to play and brings all modes of dismissal into possibility. In that sense, it is attacking.

So it's the same with flight and everything. If you know how to stop the batsman from scoring, it's not much different from knowing what will make the batsman think just a little bit about taking a risk. Control over pace and flight are just skills. It is the the intentions of the batsman and bowler that cause for notions of attack or defence. If you're one of the two, then you can define that at will.

Users who are viewing this thread