Your Cricket The Art of Legspin

darthlewis1

Club Captain
Online Cricket Games Owned
I get alot of wickets by bowling the ball so it pitches just outside the legstump then spins on to the wickets, such a good feeling getting a batsmen out like that:)

McLOVIN

Chairman of Selectors
Tip: tape the thumb. Or wet it, so you can feel where it is while you are bowling. It's really difficult to figure out where it is point it at and at the same time trying to point it to where it suppose to be. If you tape it, you will know exactly where it is.

Now that you know where it is, try to keep it side ways (or back of the hand facing you <\W/)

This will help you from stop bowling the googly even though you didn't want to..

kifty121

School Cricketer
practice your leg break as much as possible, and use some, quite unorthodox , variations

anyone heard of the top spinner/ legbreak?
the ball bounces higher than the break, and turns more than a toppy, quite useful for batsmen good on the front foot.

also, in theory, this should lead to the back spinning leg break...
it turns away from a right handed batsman, but skids on.
very useful for left handers playing across the line of the ball.

darthlewis1

Club Captain
One week I'll be the best bowler on the team, then the next week I'll bowl one or two overs because I get smacked around the park.

McLOVIN

Chairman of Selectors
^^ That comes with the job bro. Leggies get hit. You gotta get used to it. Thing is to not think about come back and bowl again.

riz7khan12

Panel of Selectors
Now that you know where it is, try to keep it side ways (or back of the hand facing you <\W/)

This will help you from stop bowling the googly even though you didn't want to..

i'll try this, i bowl "leg spin" but half the time the ball spins the otherway or it goes into a top spinner.

McLOVIN

Chairman of Selectors
^^ yea, that happens because the back of your hand is not facing you, or the thumb is not side-wise. It's facing the batsman. That's why tape the thumb, and you will be able to tell where it is.

riz7khan12

Panel of Selectors
i tried it your way and it worked pretty well, now i can bowl leggies,googlys and topspinners to go with my offspin.

i cant get the pace i want though. not to mention the line/length.

AkshayS

Chairman of Selectors
The problem I faces with legspin is that I always ends up giving flight and usually gets smashed at training(I don't use it in match), also the pace of the bowl is very less but I usually gets a handy turn, more than Warne.:sarcasm:D But pace lets me down as there is at all no speed in the bowl.

riz7khan12

Panel of Selectors
one way to increase the speed would be to have a slingy action like tait/akthar when your bowling, and make sure you come over the wicket, that should help the pace while keeping the ball turning.

AkshayS

Chairman of Selectors
one way to increase the speed would be to have a slingy action like tait/akthar when your bowling, and make sure you come over the wicket, that should help the pace while keeping the ball turning.

I am a bit confused but I'd try this tomorrow when I'll go to practice, will post the outcome here.:)

-D-S-B-

International Coach
Wouldn't recommend a slingy action for a spinner at all.
They need a high action to get two of their most important variations, dip and bounce. One of the main things spinners should work on is having a high action and also spin over the ball not across it.

McLOVIN

Chairman of Selectors
Ya, wth is Riz talking about. Slingy action and legspin?? You will lose your spin, and most likely to bowl a juicy full toss, or really really short ball.

The more you bowl, the faster you will get. As it will build your muscle. You can work out too if you want. But the next time you try to bowl, you will be all over the place.

It's not about pace. I mean you do need a little bit of it, or else the batsmen will have the time to put it away. But, even if you can bowl with speed, you wont do much. Because no matter how fast you bowl you wont beat their bat. You can only mess them up with flight and spin and turn.

McLOVIN added 8 Minutes and 38 Seconds later...

i tried it your way and it worked pretty well, now i can bowl leggies,googlys and topspinners to go with my offspin.

i cant get the pace i want though. not to mention the line/length.

1st of all, dont fearsome tweak with the variation for now. You can always get them. Just keep bowling legspin 90% of the time. I should have listened to them when they told me those things. But I was just too keen to have my variation and stuff. My googly was soo deadly that I didn't know if it was googly or not, until it bounced and turned the other way.

Line and length? Lol you are on your own on that buddy. Draw a box and that's all i can say.

angryangy

ICC Chairman
If you get through your action okay, then concentrating on the area you want to bowl at shouldn't be too hard. Maybe you won't be a superstar, but you should land a lot of balls around that spot. However, if for example, you can't keep your head still, it will become a more difficult task.

AkshayS

Chairman of Selectors
no improvements in my leg spin, it is as usual, giving a lot of flight without any pace and leaving it high in the air.
Every bowl got smashed.

Any suggestions would be great help. I usually tries shane Warne's action.

I think I should stick to my Right Fast.:D

Users who are viewing this thread