The Bats Thread

disco123

Associate Captain
Profile Flag
England
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
I've been lurking for a while and been messing with the Academy all night, so I just thought I'd mark my return to Planet Cricket with my first creation.

Behold, My approximation of (i think an older model) the Newbery Mjolnir! I hope you like it. It took me bloody hours of wrestling with DBC17 Academy and its finnicky ways! :lol

Shared under username: inertSpark81

e6td7VW.jpg

Thank you finally a Newbery bat :) , it is very nice and much appreciated by us Sussex supporters. Downloaded and on my new career player, top work

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
I've been lurking for a while and been messing with the Academy all night, so I just thought I'd mark my return to Planet Cricket with my first creation.

Behold, My approximation of (i think an older model) the Newbery Mjolnir! I hope you like it. It took me bloody hours of wrestling with DBC17 Academy and its finnicky ways! :lol

Shared under username: inertSpark81

e6td7VW.jpg

thanks for this - i made the mjolnir in 14 but i haven't been able to get on with 17 modding at all

inertSpark

Associate Captain
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
  4. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox One
Thank you finally a Newbery bat :) , it is very nice and much appreciated by us Sussex supporters. Downloaded and on my new career player, top work

Thanks. Glad to be of service. It was your recent post that inspired me to take on the challenge of providing the first one.

thanks for this - i made the mjolnir in 14 but i haven't been able to get on with 17 modding at all

Thanks. I wanted to do something relatively complicated so that I could learn the ropes with the logo editor. Believe me, the logo crest was a major pain in the backside. It's definitely more simplified than I would have liked, however scaled down onto the bat, it still works.

The thing I had to get my head around was the fact that sometimes you just have no choice but to split a decal into two or more parts in order to preserve some detail. Sometimes if you're lucky you can import a couple of .svg files into the editor but its rare.

Basically my workflow is this. Since the overlay doesn't seem to work properly in the logo editor, I trace a vector over a jpeg image using Inkscape. This is usually superior to letting Inkscape handle the bitmap tracing. Once finished, I simplify the vector a few times, reducing the number of nodes. If it is still too big for the logo editor (in my experience around 20 KB max is fine) then I run it once through this awesome web tool - SVG-Optimiser

That's all there is to it. The rest is down to wrestling with the Academy controls. The main problem is the lack of fine tuning when positioning the logos on the bat. The deadzone of the controller and keyboard for that matter is too much.

Saeglopur

County Cricketer
@inertSpark - If you fancied doing another, do you reckon you could have a go at this one? Love the minimalist look on the bat.
Newbery-Kudos2-Comp-191015_large.jpg

inertSpark

Associate Captain
@inertSpark - If you fancied doing another, do you reckon you could have a go at this one? Love the minimalist look on the bat.

I'll take you up on that. I'm just creating the vector graphics now. I haven't applied the gold accents etc yet but hopefully it won't be too complex for the Logo editor.

SUvEJYW.png

Last edited:

inertSpark

Associate Captain

Done and shared. It's not 100% accurate but I might go back and revisit it sometime.

rp5HIrC.jpg

inertSpark

Associate Captain

Kiko_97

User Title Purchaser
Profile Flag
England
Yeah, just would like one of the bats I actually own in game for a career mode

inertSpark

Associate Captain
The trick to doing great bats IMO hinges on whether you can find good quality scans of actual decal sheets - it makes tracing the vector images so much more precise. I have managed to find one for your bat so I'll have a crack.

This is the vector art I've managed to do in the last 20 minutes.

OVNXeQ2.jpg

Kiko_97

User Title Purchaser
Profile Flag
England
Looks quality so far. Tbf the Pellara is the bat i'd prefer anyway since it never got much use in my short lived career.

Saeglopur

County Cricketer
Done and shared. It's not 100% accurate but I might go back and revisit it sometime.

rp5HIrC.jpg

Lovely, thanks! Looking forward to seeing any more you put together. The growing variety of bats being made in this game is going to look fantastic. Not long now. :D

inertSpark

Associate Captain
Looks quality so far. Tbf the Pellara is the bat i'd prefer anyway since it never got much use in my short lived career.

I've just done a test and managed to get some good imports into the DBC17 Editor. As a proof of concept, I'd say this one is totally doable.

I'll let you know when it is uploaded mate.

EGrQVtO.jpg

Kiko_97

User Title Purchaser
Profile Flag
England
I've just done a test and managed to get some good imports into the DBC17 Editor. As a proof of concept, I'd say this one is totally doable.

I'll let you know when it is uploaded mate.

EGrQVtO.jpg
Lovely stuff. Will you be using the texture on it? The dark bats look hideous compared to @Llewelynf's textured ones. One thing Big ant got wrong...

inertSpark

Associate Captain
Lovely stuff. Will you be using the texture on it? The dark bats look hideous compared to @Llewelynf's textured ones. One thing Big ant got wrong...

Absolutely mate. This was just a test to see how the logo works with the bat model.

Users who are viewing this thread