The Book Thread

'Frankenstein' is a great read if one gets hang of its iridescent themes. Sadly, not many of my friends, whom I recommended the book to, found it too interesting.

Not astonishing at all, my classmates openly denounced 'A Tale of Two Cities' as an idiotic and bullshit book. :facepalm

I now think thrice before recommending a book to someone. Once, I lent my copy of 'Listening to the Grasshoppers' to one my mates, and he returned it the very next day saying that the 'language' was 'too difficult'. If they find Arundhati Roy 'difficult', no wonder they don't enjoy Mary Shelly or Dickens.

The way I see it, '1984' actually subjects you to some of the same torture that Smith is subjected to. The dystopia in 'Brave New World' demands your assimilation by a much more subtle torture, and one I found far more endurable (almost pleasant...) I don't think you'll find yourself as 'torn' with Brave New World as with 1984, unless you have an aversion to hedonism or a yearning (as Savage, the protagonist, does) for a 'depth' in life that only virtues associated with self-denial can give.

You could say, 1984 tortures you, whereas Brave New World presents you with the 'utopian' vision, in the expectation/hope that you will torture yourself with it...

I now think thrice before recommending a book to someone. Once, I lent my copy of 'Listening to the Grasshoppers' to one my mates, and he returned it the very next day saying that the 'language' was 'too difficult'. If they find Arundhati Roy 'difficult', no wonder they don't enjoy Mary Shelly or Dickens.

Yes I can't think of any real page-turners from the 19th century! Well, there's always Sherlock Holmes, Jules Verne or H G Wells! I have always found Dickens full-length novels too much of an ordeal. And that goes double after seeing the movie. A movie is undoubtedly a condensed version. But what actually is missing from the Bogarde movie of 'Tale of Two Cities' that is in the book? Loads I'm sure, but nothing I'll miss very much.

This is exacerbated for Frankenstein, if you've seen a Hollywoodized movie before reading it. Boris Karloff and whatnot in no way does the book justice, but the worst thing about it is it fails to prepare you for the book's literary and ethical challenges. Perhaps one needs to see the Kenneth Branagh version before reading it, to 'soften you up'?...

Yes I can't think of any real page-turners from the 19th century! Well, there's always Sherlock Holmes, Jules Verne or H G Wells! I have always found Dickens full-length novels too much of an ordeal.

Totally agree :thumbs Except for HG Wells. The only book of his I liked was 'The Time Machine'. Tried reading 'First Men In The Moon' and 'War of teh Worlds', and tbh, I couldn't finish them.

I really need to read 1984. Been meaning to read it for quite a while.

frankenstein is awesome. up there in my top 5 books.

dracula however was dull and rather turgid. the incessant Christian motifs were enough to stop me finishing it. which is a shame as I am quite partial to vampire mythology and have enjoyed theatrical productions of dracula etc.

I enjoyed reading 'War of the Worlds'. The plot tends to get monotonous after the first few chapters, but it picks up in the end. Jules Verne is pretty outstanding as well. Novels like 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea never cease to fascinate.

As for Conan Doyle, he's in an altogether different league. Holmes is one marvellous character! Once you get absorbed, you just can't stop reading.

----------

6ry4nj said:
I have always found Dickens full-length novels too much of an ordeal.

Nah, if you have time, there's nothing like flicking through the pages of a Dickens' novel. I've read Oliver Twist, David Copperfield, and Great Expectations- all bear the stamp of his genius. Not to mention that his artistry with subtle human emotions is mesmerizing.

Last edited:
As for Conan Doyle, he's in an altogether different league. Holmes is one marvellous character! Once you get absorbed, you just can't stop reading.

If you like Holmes, you may also enjoy Edgar Allen Poe's detective stories. His detective (C. Auguste Dupin) is (dare I say) eerily similar to Holmes, and was written much earlier. In fact, it almost appears as if Poe's work is a mild (and of course, pre-emptive and therefore precognitive) parody of Doyle's.

Here's a free link to a full text of his most famous story.

Edgar Allen Poe, The Murders in the Rue Morgue

Finally started to read War and Peace proper, about my third attempt now and I've just completed reading the first book. Just starting to move into the first forays of war, rather good thus far.

To Kill a Mockingbird is undoubtedly one of the best novels I've read. Captivating narrative, excellent characters, and a very incisive insight into the United States of 1930s. Wonder why a writer as talented as Lee didn't publish another book.

Last edited:
Ah mention of Dickens gets me going....the man is a genius...nothing better than the BBC adaptions of his novels...utterly brilliant: the best ever Bill Sykes played by Tom Hardy and Joe Fagan by Timothy Spaltan...bit off topic but book related....anyway in those days they took there time to develop a character and I love ' em for it...............listening to David Copperfield at this very moment on my Ipod!!

To Kill a Mockingbird is undoubtedly one of the best novels I've read. Captivating narrative, excellent characters, and a very incisive insight into the United States of 1930s. Wonder why a writer as talented as Lee didn't publish another book.

I agree entirely. I love the way she used Scout and to a lesser extent Jem and Dill to keep the book very human, whilst dealing with serious subject matter. It's such a brilliant read.

Is there a good BBC adaptation of Great Expectations? my favorite novel of all time. We all have an Estella in our lives

"I never had one hour's happiness in her society, and yet my mind all round the four-and-twenty hours was harping on the happiness of having her with me unto death."

Is there a good BBC adaptation of Great Expectations? my favorite novel of all time. We all have an Estella in our lives

"I never had one hour's happiness in her society, and yet my mind all round the four-and-twenty hours was harping on the happiness of having her with me unto death."

yes, yes yes! There is a fantastic BBC audio book collection of all Dickens books plus a brilliant television series.....

"Charles Dickens" The Charles Dickens Collection (DVD) at BBC Shop

You could probably get it cheaper somewhere but its a great great series if you like this kind of thing...I like audio books myself as I can listen wherever I am...

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread