Wednesday 9 June 2010, 15:43 BST

Continued...

GROUP E:

FRANCE
World Ranking: 4
Previous Best: Winners 1998
Players to watch out for: Ribery, Evra
Odds: 12/1

The French have been on fire over the past few months, however, there are still doubts about manager Raymond Domenech and the aged squad he has taken to the tournament. They possess enough quality to make the final yet again - but will face very stiff competition in this group.

ENGLAND
World Ranking: 11
Previous Best: Winners 1966
Players to watch out for: Gerrard, Rooney
Odds: 14/1

This is England's best opportunity to make an impact at a World Cup tournament since Italia '90. The draw has been unfortunate to them as they look likely to face a big team in the Last 16, however, perhaps the Three Lions can upset the mighty French!

CHILE
World Ranking: 28
Previous Best: Third Place 1962
Players to watch out for: Valdiva, Fernandez
Odds: 66/1

One of the potential dark horses of this tournament, Chile possess enough attacking quality to cause an upset (or two) but as with almost all South American nations (bar Brazil), questions will be asked about their defence. Could we lose France or even England early on due to the Chileans?

NORTH KOREA
World Ranking: 100
Previous Best: Quarter Finals 1966
Players to watch out for: N/A
Odds: 1000/1

For the real rank outsiders at this tournament there is no doubt they will be travelling back to Pyongyang after their three group stage fixtures. As the lowest ranked team in the tournament, they lack the quality to emulate the 'heroes' of 1966 who shocked Italy before losing 5-3 to Portugal in the Quarter Finals.

Lawro's Prediction: Well, it's easy to say who will finish bottom. France will just have the edge over England in their big match up. It may come down to goal difference between France, England and Chile, but I'd back England to qualify as well.

GROUP F

PORTUGAL
World Ranking: 6
Previous Best: Third Place 1966
Players to watch out for: Ronaldo, Carvalho
Odds: 10/1

Portugal have a somewhat easier draw than the majority of the European heavyweights. The Euro 2004 finalists and World Cup 2006 quarter finalists will be looking to build on recent successes. Their solid defence has seen them rise to 6th in the world, and they certainly have the firepower to equal previous acheivements.

USA
World Ranking: 16
Previous Best: Third Place 1930
Players to watch out for: Howard, Donovan
Odds: 40/1

The US, despite having the largest federation logo, are no match for Portugal. However, their unique style of play under Bob Bradley has finally given the US public some soccer to cheer about after they reached the final of the Confederations Cup in South Africa last year. Their previous experience should tell.

ECUADOR
World Ranking: 29
Previous Best: Last 16 2006
Players to look out for: Valencia, Benitez
Odds: 80/1

Despite qualifying last through a play off against Costa Rica, the Ecuadorians are an exciting young team who certainly have the potential to emulate their 2006 World Cup and reach the Last 16. Their attacking talent is shown through the youngsters Antonio Valencia and Cristian Benitez, who ply their trade in the English Premier League.

SOUTH AFRICA
World Ranking: 87
Previous Best: Group Stage 1998, 2002
Players to watch out for: Pienaar, McCarthy
Odds: 250/1

The Bafana Bafana, our 2010 hosts, are not famed for their footballing prowess. However, they did show some quality in last years Confederations Cup, where they reached the semi finals. It's a tough group for them to get out of, but the hosts always get to the second round.

Lawro's Prediction: One team, Portugal, will run away with the group, leaving the other three nations to fight it out for second spot. This is incredibly tough to call, but I'm going to have to go with South Africa because the hosts will receive an enormous boost from playing at home. We all want them to make it through!

More soon...

shantanu_rooney

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
Great update once again Rhys, my all eyes will be on Group E as its the Group of Death for me. Hopefully England will top the group.

w3lshrugby

Panel of Selectors
BBCWC10.png

Wednesday 9 June 2010, 15:43 BST

Continued...

GROUP G:

SPAIN
World Ranking: 2
Previous Best: Fourth Place 1950
Players to watch out for: Casillas, Xavi
Odds: 5/1

The Spanish come into the tournament as Europe's top hope. They have been truly dominant in the European game since their championship victory in Euro 2008. Their passing style is lauded by the world's media and their exciting style of football should see them dominate this group.

GREECE
World Ranking: 12
Previous Best: Group Stage 1994
Players to watch out for: Kastourais, Gekas
Odds: 40/1

The Greeks have not tasted much success since their shock victory over Portugal in the final of Euro 2004. However, they still clearly posess the ability to cause some minor upsets during this tournament - and are worth a cheeky punt as dark horses.

GHANA
World Ranking: 22
Previous Best: Last 16 2006
Players to watch out for: Essien, Muntari, Gyan
Odds: 33/1

The Black Stars, along with Cameroon, represent Africa's best chance of success at this World Cup. They play football in a true African style and will be hard to stop if they hit a run of form at the right time. They may even have the capability to hold Spain.

JAPAN
World Ranking: 49
Previous Best: Last 16 2002
Players to watch out for: Nakamura, Ono
Odds: 100/1

The Japanese have never performed well outside of their home nation. They will be looking to break their duck away from home in an effort to match their progression to the Last 16 in Japan/South Korea 2002. It will be incredibly tough for them to qualify with three quality teams alongside them.

Lawro's Prediction: Once again, it's hard to look beyond the European heavyweight, Spain, to top the group. However, second place will be a close battle between Greece and Ghana, but with the World Cup on African soil, I hope Ghana come out on top.

GROUP H:

ARGENTINA
World Ranking: 3
Previous Best: Winners 1978, 1986
Players to watch out for: Messi, Aguero
Odds: 6/1

The Argentines always feature strongly at World Cup tournaments, and this year will be no different. As third favourites to take the ultimate prize, who could possibly bet against them going all the way - it's been 24 years since Diego Maradona took the trophy as a player, can he now do it as manager?

GERMANY
World Ranking: 15
Previous Best: Winners 1990, 1974, 1954
Players to watch out for: Lahm, Gomez
Odds: 13/1

Germany have never fallen at the group stage, and this will not change in South Africa, despite the difficult draw. The match up against Argentina will be fascinating as it is a re-run of the 2006 Quarter Final which the Germans won on penalties. Having two groups with two heavyweights in will surely make for some thrilling football.

MEXICO
World Ranking: 23
Previous Best: Quarter Finals 1970, 1986
Players to watch out for: Vela, dos Santos
Odds: 66/1

Mexico have been handed a cruel draw for South Africa. Beating Argentina or Germany looks a very tall order, and it is likely they will be heading back to Mexico City after their three group games. However, Mexico have always qualified from their group - so perhaps they have a shock (or two) up their sleeves!

SAUDI ARABIA
World Ranking: 56
Previous Best: Last 16 1994
Player to watch out for: Abdulla
Odds: 500/1

The Saudis face a very stiff task if they are to emulate their success of 1994. Most Asian teams struggle at World Cup finals, and, in the case of Saudi Arabia, this will be no different. Their defence will have to be very alert against the attacking prowess of Argentina, Germany and Mexico. Cruel draw.

Lawro's Prediction: It's impossible to look beyond the 'big two', Argentina and Germany, in this group. Having said that, the Mexicans are very capable of knocking one of the big two teams out. Group H will be very exciting indeed! Whilst Argentina will be out for revenge against Germany, the Mexicans will be out for revenge against Argentina for when the Argentines sealed an extra-time win over the Mexicans in 2006.

That sums up all of the runners and riders for this year's World Cup Finals in South Africa, I'm hoping it's going to be a thoroughly enjoyable journey. There are some amazing fixtures to look forward to including: France v England and Argentina v Germany.

The 2010 FIFA World Cup kicks off on Friday 11 June 2010 at 1500 BST, with defending champions Italy taking on Paraguay at Soccer City - all live on BBC1.

[Next up - the opening ceremony/the opening fixture]

Imager36

Club Captain
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Not liking the look of group H. I can see Mexico going through from that one. (Don't forget Germany's 8-0 thrashing of the Saudis in 2002 :p)

w3lshrugby

Panel of Selectors
FifaWC2010Banner.png

Friday 11 June 2010

The Opening Ceremony - LIVE!

1400 BST: Good afternoon all, and welcome to the Opening Ceremony for the 2010 FIFA World Cup live from Soccer City in Johannesburg. The first of the 64 games in the tournament gets underway in an hour featuring defending champions Italy against the South American dark horses Paraguay.

14:03 BST: The Opening Ceremony is kicked off with a video showcasing the different stadia in use at the tournament - followed by some extravagant, vibrant dancers.

14:07 BST: Now some music, with Siphiwo Ntshebe's Hope. Sadly, Sip' passed away just a few weeks ago after a short battle with meningitis - but this messages symbolises the entire African World Cup. Perhaps the tournament can inspire Africans and people all over the world.

14:15 BST: Now what we were all waiting for. Here comes Madiba - Nelson Mandela - one of the world's great heroes. He enters the pitch slowly accompanied by Sepp Blatter, FIFA President and Jacob Zuma, the President of South Africa. There is a true hero's welcome for Madiba.

14:18 BST: Nelson Mandela continues to read a speech out to the world -
'There is great hope that this, the first African World Cup, can help to show the progress acheived by South Africa and Africa as a whole in the past 20 years. Through sport, and in this case football, the world can unite together to triumph over adversity. We can use the immense pride and joy from this tournament to help those struggling in our society.'

14:23 BST: The great words of Madiba, there. I salute you, sir! Now we finally move on to another musical segment - and it's two of the 'official' World Cup anthems. Firstly, Shakira helps to wow the crowd with her moves during her performance of 'Waka Waka', what a shame that Colombia didn't make it to the tournament.

14:26 BST: To round off this Opening Ceremony, and a celebration of Africa's diversity and global culture, we have K'Naan with his upbeat anthem - Wavin' Flag. However, he is joined by various artists from all over the world who join in (including David Bisbal from Spain). All around the stadium, there are pockets of gospel choirs in vibrant African colours who join in the singing and dancing.

1431 BST: That was sensational. A true celebration of our global cultures, interweaved with some brilliant pockets of African culture. Well done to the organisers for a truly wonderful event. Now onto what we're all here for - a packed Soccer City is waiting patiently for the opening match of the 2010 FIFA World Cup here in South Africa: Italy v Paraguay.

[Next up - Italy v Paraguay]

ShamiLoverGlipGlops

The Man With The Glip Glops
India
NZ....
AFG...
KKR
Avengers
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox One
Do not usually read football stories but this has caught my attention!!

w3lshrugby

Panel of Selectors
BBCWC10.png

Friday 11 June 2010
A: ITALY v PARAGUAY - Live

Gary Lineker - Good afternoon and welcome to the opening game of the 2010 FIFA World Cup here in South Africa. The defending champions Italy face their toughest game in Group A against the dark horses Paraguay, who are appearing at their fourth consecutive World Cup Finals after an excellent qualifying campaign in South America.

Alan Hansen - I'm expecting a good game this afternoon. The Italians are somewhat older than they were four years ago.

Lee Dixon - Cheers for stating the obvious there, Al.

Laughter in studio

Gary Lineker - The Paraguyans are certainly something of an unknown element to us in the UK and Europe, with only names like Roque Santa Cruz ringing a bell.

Lee Dixon - I'm on the lookout for some new South American gems throughout this tournament. Their street football culture has allowed players like Messi, Kaka et al to flourish, and I'm hoping we will unearth some new brilliance - perhaps Paraguay, Chile or Ecuador can provide some thrills and spills instead of the usual antics from the 'Big Two', Brazil and Argentina.

Gary Lineker - Yes, well it's certainly very exciting - and we haven't seen any action yet. Got any predictions for this afternoon?

Alan Hansen - Erm...it's tough to look beyond an Italian win, but the Paraguyans will provide a stern test of the defending champions.

Lee Dixon - I'm going to surprise you here and go for a draw, I think the Italians are very rusty and tired.

Gary Lineker - Right. We're at the start of a month long journey celebrating football and African culture. Let's get this first match over and done with, there's only 63 more to go...it's over to Guy Mowbray and Mark Lawrenson in Soccer City.

MATCH COMMENTARY
with Caroline Cheese

KOFF.png
KICK OFF
- Here we are. World Cup 2010. Can Paraguay upset the defending Champions here in Johannesburg? I certainly hope so...the excitement levels are unbearable, as is the volume level of the Vuvuzelas!

8 MINUTES - Italy are on the attack from the off with the Paraguyan defence looking all at sea in the opening exchanges. And there's a lovely through ball to Cassano and he's got the first real chance here for Italy. Powerful shot - just wide. Fantastic start from the 2006 winners.

15 MINUTES - Free kick just outside the box for Italy. Gilardino to take it by the looks of things. The possession stats must look crazy at the moment. Yep, Italy with 72% possession after 15 minutes. Paraguay haven't got a chance. Gilardino sprays the free kick straight into the wall - poor.

19 MINUTES - The Italians continue to press and earn a corner. Gilardino swings it in, but there's no mistake from the keeper there. The ball is threaded back through the Gilardino who is on his own, just the keeper to beat. WHAT A SAVE from Villar. This guy is keeping the Paraguyans in the game.

GOAL.png
23 MINUTES
- This Italian pressure was bound to break Paraguay at some point. The ball is pumped into the box, and there is absolute chaos in the 6-yard area. What a shambles, this is scrappy defending and attacking. GOAL!!! The ball found it's way to the feet of Cassano who stroked it past Villar. The defending Champions are truly under way. Italy 1 - 0 Paraguay.

BAR.png
29 MINUTES - And finally Paraguay get a chance - I thought it was never going to come. Roque Santa Cruz, of Manchester City, attempts a long range effort on goal. Well struck by the lad, but the keeper collects easily. The Italians could break from here - oh they do. Wonderful movement from Gilardino. He passes the ball in to Cassano who takes a pop - IT HITS THE CROSSBAR! Sheesh that was close. 2-0 and I think Paraguay would've been out of the game.
YELC.png
38 MINUTES
- First yellow of the game goes to Paraguyan defender Veron. Fair enough, he raised his boot there.
YELC.png
42 MINUTES
- Now a second yellow card. The Italian defender Giorgio Chiellini picks up a booking for his slightly late tackle on Santa Cruz just inside the Italian half.

HT.png
45 + 2 MINUTES - HALF TIME
. An excellent first half there, with the Italians dominating for large periods of the opening exchanges. However, with the score only at 1-0, there is the potential for Paraguay to counter attack and nip a goal with their excellent attacking threat. Join us in 15 minutes for the resolution of this opener. Italy 1 - 0 Paraguay.

54 MINUTES - What did I say? Italy have not built on their lead, and now Paraguay are looking threatening. Here's a great ball in to Santa Cruz out on the left. He's going to have a pop from 20 yards or so...and that is quite possibly the worst shot I have ever seen. That has only JUST gone out for a goal kick. Man City fans, I know how you feel!

BAR.png
66 MINUTES
- The Italians are looking threatening again, and Cassano is tripped on the edge of the box. Bit of argy bargy, and there's a free kick to Italy on the edge of the box. Cassano takes it, curls it with the aid of a deflection and IT'S OFF THE BAR, AGAIN! Italy are so unlucky not to be two or three up here. Could they pay for these missed chances?

GOAL.png
78 MINUTES
- I told you it was coming...that is an excellent long ball from the defender to set up a Paraguy counter attack. Great first touch from Cabanas into the box. He shoots low and to the left of Buffon. It's in. GOAL!!! Vamos Paraguay!! Fantastic counter attack. Italy 1 - 1 Paraguay. Just over 10 minutes for the Italians to find a winner.

89 MINUTES - The Italians are pressing now in search of (perhaps) a vital winner. This is excellent from Italy. Long range shot from Gilardino - wow. Great shot. It heads for the top corner but Villar is equal to it and keeps Paraguay in the game. Surely it's a draw now?

FT.png
90 + 4 MINUTES - FULL TIME.
That's it. Paraguay have acheived their aim of getting something out of their big match up with the Italians - can they go on and top the group? Italy will be disappointed not to have sealed the game with two shots coming clean off the bar during the game, but that's football. The defending champions are off to an average start. Lee Dixon - hats off. Good call. Italy 1 - 1 Paraguay.

Gary Lineker - And now a look at some of this afternoon's stats:

18 SHOTS 6
6 ON TARGET 3
55% POSSESSION 45%
19 FOULS 14
2 YELLOWS 1

Lee Dixon - I knew I'd be right this evening. I still think the Italians were lucky not to go down to ten men, too.

Alan Hansen - The centre backs were dreadful this evening. I'm surprised there weren't more goals.

Gary Lineker - Well. That's that. Join Colin Murray tonight on BBC2 for highlights from the other game in group A, Tunisia v Northern Ireland. I wonder who Colin is supporting in that one?

GROUP A:
Italy 1 - 1 Paraguay
1900 BST: Tunisia v Northern Ireland​

Last edited:

Imager36

Club Captain
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Nice writing. Just need to have Hansen say that the centre backs were poor and we'd be right in the world cup :p

Dr. Pepper

Chairman of Selectors
Awesome story so far. Love the writing, you don't just state what happens, you add character to it. Bit of a scrappy game to start off the campaign but that should be expected. Teams are still finding their groove.

Covvy

Panel of Selectors
A great read so far. I think your the guy that won't qut either, and I hope you don't!

w3lshrugby

Panel of Selectors
The intention (at least) is to try and complete one international 'cycle' (from 2010 World Cup in South Africa to the 2014 World Cup in Brazil) and if it's still going strong...then who knows. The 2018 World Cup in...well, it's not going to be England. Of course the story could just go on forever....ahem.

w3lshrugby

Panel of Selectors
FifaWC2010Banner.png

World Cup Highlights - DAY ONE

Colin Murray - Good evening and welcome to our highlights package this evening. We'll sum up the two games from the opening day of the tournament and take a glimpse at the Group A table following the two games. I'm sure you all saw the stunning Opening Ceremony earlier. What followed was even more shocking with Villar in goal for Paraguay keeping the Italians at bay.

Code:
[COLOR="Blue"]Italy[/COLOR]       1 - 1      [COLOR="#ff0000"]Paraguay[/COLOR]
[COLOR="#0000ff"]Cassano '23[/COLOR]-             [COLOR="Red"]Cabanas '78[/COLOR]
(HT: 1 - 0)

Colin Murray - This was swiftly followed by another tight encounter between two of the tournaments lesser teams, Tunisia and Northern Ireland (damn you autocue!) in Bloemfontein. Could either of these teams gain the early advantage in Group A?

Code:
[COLOR="Red"]Tunisia[/COLOR]       1 - 1      [COLOR="Lime"]Northern Ireland[/COLOR]
[COLOR="#ff0000"]L Nouioui '52[/COLOR]-            [COLOR="#00ff00"]M Paterson '60[/COLOR]
(HT: 0 - 0)

Colin Murray - So close! This leaves the table as close as it was at the start. All teams have played one, drawn one, scored one and conceded one. Excellent. Can our boys still get through - it will be tough against the dominant Italians and magical Paraguay.

Code:
Group A

Pld  W D L  F A GD  Pts
[COLOR="Blue"]Italy[/COLOR]        1  0 1 0  1 1  0    1
[COLOR="Lime"]N Ireland[/COLOR]    1  0 1 0  1 1  0    1
[COLOR="Red"]Paraguay[/COLOR]     1  0 1 0  1 1  0    1
[COLOR="#ff0000"]Tunisia[/COLOR]      1  0 1 0  1 1  0    1

Colin Murray - Tight as can be. Join us soon for more World Cup action. Tomorrow, Brazil get underway in Group C against Australia. Oh, and there's Group B's first two games. See you then!

OT - Is this summing up of the day's action a good idea? Does the simple nature of the match summaries and table work? Is it fine that I only cover one match per day fully (in the group stage) and leave the other two (from now on) for quick match summaries in the highlights package?

Cheers for your support guys.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread