Story Three Lions on the Shirt? - Match Day: Northamptonshire fight back!!!

When will Tom Baker get his England call up?

• Total voters
This is it Tom, this is were you have to hang on to this oppurunity and show English cricket what you have to offer...kutgw and congrats again on sotm

Well done on both there Tom batting at three! KUTGW

3 eh? I predict a first ball duck :p.

Nah nah, a big triple hundred off 100 deliveries would do nicely.

Thursday 11th April

I woke up at 6:30 with my alarm clock ringing in my ears. I didn't have to leave the house for another hour or so, so I slowly woke up over the next few minutes. My body was hurting but a 10 minute shower soon solved that and by 8:15 I was sitting down over a plate of scrambled eggs and cereal feeling lots better. I switched on the TV to see what the news headlines were. The Tibet riots were all over the headlines. It now looked pretty serious, although in my view China were coming across in a rather bad light.

Eventually it was 8. All my gear was in my car and I decided to head of to the ground. As I pulled up into the ground I saw Cooky arriving, on foot. He must have been pretty gutted to have been dropped, but at the end of the day he was out of form and was only just getting his life sorted out. In the changing room I got given a high five by Darren who asked if I was ready for a century. I said I'd only do it if I got a free pint :p He obviously thought his cash was safe as he agreed to that.

Graham soon arrived to brief us,

"Alright guys. I've had a word with the groundsman and he says this pitch is a road. We need to be looking at scoring at least 225 runs, with that being if we have a collapse. We are going to have Martin and Andy open the bowling and we'll take it from there. I know some of you are tired after yesterday's match but give it your all today and you will then have a nice 4 day break."

Last time we had met up in the Championship we had given The Bears a sound thrashing. They would be looking to get back at us so we would have to be in good form. We soon saw their team list for the match. It was pretty much the same team that had played in the last match. Whilst everyone else was getting ready, I headed outside to check out the conditions. It was pretty mild and not a cloud in the sky, a perfect spring morning. I headed over to the pitch and had a close look at it. It was a road. Very few patches of grass and with these weather conditions, high scores were to be expected.

Cricket20052008-04-0322-28-24-12.jpg

I soon realised there was someone walking my way. It was Nick Knight, obviously checking the pitch out as well,

"So you are the one everyone is talking about. Good luck today, looks to be a batsman's paradise."

"Aye, that it does. Good luck batting today. We'll have to watch out for you."

Back in the changing room I met David as he was heading out to do the toss. We all headed out to watch the result. It appeared that David loss the toss as we saw Streak speak first. As they shook hands and headed bat we saw David make the signal that we would be fielding first. The changing room decended into a hive of activity as everyone got ready. We all soon headed out onto the pitch, and 5 minutes later the Warwickshire openers arrived. I had a pretty good view from gully.

Cricket20052008-04-0322-28-48-95.jpg

We made an excellent start to the match. Both Martin and Andy picked up quick wickets although Andy was the tighter of the two, with his first spell returning figures of 5 - 1 - 6 - 1. By the end of the powerplay overs Warwickshire were 39/2. Not a very good start by them. The team were really fired up and I was looking forward to my first bowling spell.

Cricket20052008-04-0408-18-11-64.jpg

Over the next few overs, Ian Bell did inject some urgency into the match, resulting in the run-rate rising rapidly. In the twenty first over David chucked me the ball. The match was evenly poised and David gave me a defensive field but still left me with two slips.

"Just bowl like you normally do and you'll be fine. Wickets are quite important here as we don't want them blasting away in the last 10 overs."

I was determined to do a good job for the team and either get some wickets or at least keep it tight. I had already bagged Ian Bell before, I was looking to make it twice in two matches.

Cricket20052008-04-0408-31-46-40.jpg

I slowly prepared my run-up and made sure the field was just right. I was ready. Hopefully it would be a good spell for me :upray

Last edited by a moderator:
Bad display from Warickshire, if you can pick up an early wicket in your spell Tom it should be the end of Warickshire, couldn't see them posting enough runs to win if they lose another quick wicket...good luck

Users who are viewing this thread