Story Three Lions on the Shirt? - Match Day: Northamptonshire fight back!!!

When will Tom Baker get his England call up?

• Total voters
I think I'd have rather died from the bullet wound than have to move to Cardiff. :eek:

Better than Stirling :p

I'll try and update soon. I've just started my new job and I have no free time anymore. I hope I don't go down the same route as Suren :eek: :p

You're going to Wales? :eek:

I know your career has taken a wrong turning but I didn't know it took a whole 90 degree turn on where you were before. What's the saying? 1 step forward but 2 steps back?

This is 1 step forward and infinite steps backwards. ;)

Anyways good presentation as per usual and love the story.

How can that possibly be true? Firstly: it's in Wales. Secondly: it's full of Welsh people...

I think I'd have rather died from the bullet wound than have to move to Cardiff. :eek:

I know your career has taken a wrong turning but I didn't know it took a whole 90 degree turn on where you were before. What's the saying? 1 step forward but 2 steps back?

God this is alittle unfair on Wales isn't it, but really Tom what the hell are you doing going to Glamorgan? If you want to get in the England side, you should have joined Warwickshire we need someone like you at the moment!:p

How can that possibly be true? Firstly: it's in Wales. Secondly: it's full of Welsh people...

I am insulted all of you! You twats insulting Wales and it's people. We are small but mighty.

God this is alittle unfair on Wales isn't it, but really Tom what the hell are you doing going to Glamorgan? If you want to get in the England side, you should have joined Warwickshire we need someone like you at the moment!:p
Or he could've joined Lancashire.

I was trying to show that I'm on the verge of ending my career due to injury and Glamorgan are the only team who will take me.

I would update but I leave for work and don't get back till 9 this evening :help

Yeah I just thought I'd come back and say love this story Tom. Good luck at Glamorgan!

Welcome to Wales

That winter, I really had to work on my fitness. Glamorgan had a new owner a rich Saudi Arabian owner who was related to the Bin Laden's (MI5 is probaly reading this because I mentioned that name :p) He had invested a lot of cash in the club, and with that we had been able to attract England star, Dimitry Mascarenhas, to the club. He was a bit down in the dumps after being dropped for Ravi Bopara, so myself and him would be looking at trying to get England call-up's. Unfortunately this probably meant we were in competition with each other for the all-rounder place. Still having him at the club would be really useful in all form's of the game.

A great assest to the club. Hopefully
DimitriMascarenhas3_468x312.jpg

As we prepared for the new season, I began to get to know the Glamorgan squad a lot better. Glamorgan had always been mocked as being a pathetic team who never stood a chance. However, the squad had a great mixture of youth and experience. You had people like Croft and Hemp, but also people like me and Maynard. I soon found out that there was a whole bunch of nick-names I was going to have to learn :p

Soon the season began and we really stepped up the training intensity. I was really straining to impress the coach and try and get picked for the first match of the season. It was a Championship clash against Warwickshire. I seemed to always be playing Warwickshire for some reason. I was still slightly struggling for fitness and returned home every evening with my body aching, needing a rub down from Gemma ;)

A couple of days before the match was due to happen, we were training in the nets. I had just up-rooted Crofty's middle stump and I was getting an earful telling me how it was just luck and that it had everything to do from solar sun spots to a dodgy pint of beer in 1994 :p By the end of the session I felt I had performed well, and was pretty confident of a place in the squad for the match against Warwickshire. There was, however, a lot of competition for a spot in the XI. While we all packed up, coach went off to post the XI. As we all headed in, we could see he had posted the sheet. Back in Kent, it had just been a little scrawl, on a piece of paper Graham had found. This was a lot more impressive:

age3y2008-07-1715-56-43-39-1.jpg

I had made the squad but was only twelth man :( I was pretty gutted, as I had really put my heart into playing cricket again, and to miss out was heart breaking. I went off to the coaches office to discuss why I had missed out.

"Hi Tom. I can guess why you are here."

"Yeah. I'm a bit upset on missing out on a place in the XI. I thought I had impressed you recently."

"Oh you have Tom. It isn't your form which has me worried. It is your fitness. I saw you struggling today and I think you aren't fully fit from your injury. Therefore I don't think you are fully up for the 4 Day game at the moment. You might miss the next couple of Championship matches, as we still work on your fitness. But I can guarantee, you will be playing in the Pro45 match against Lancashire."

"Cheers, coach. Thanks for the explanation."

I left his office with a spring in my step. It was nice to be at a club which showed such concern over members of it's squad. Coach, was probably right. I didn't want to be rushed back into the squad and end up doing myself a really serious injury. I decided that I would really work hard in the gym, and maybe I could be fit enough to start playing Championship matches soon. I could only wait.

unlucky on not getting picked for the xi but its all about fitness tom

Glamorgan had a new owner a rich Saudi Arabian owner who was related to the Bin Laden's (MI5 is probaly reading this because I mentioned that name :p) He had invested a lot of cash in the club
I bet it cost a bomb...;):p

Good update, unlucky not to be involved in the side, but good luck against Lancs.

Users who are viewing this thread