Tobes' AFL Match Preview Thread

punterpupnroy

International Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
Hey this is my match preview thread. I'll preview matches on my own accord and if anyone wants me to preview a match i am more than happy to write it up. Here is my first one:

geelongve1.png
v
fremantlewu4.png

Midfield Comparison:

The Cats are in the best shape they have ever been. With the midfield class of Bartel, Ablett, Ling and Corey it will certainly be a extremely difficult task of the Dockers midfielders. Consisting of players such as Palmer, Crowley, Peake and Sandilandes. Not only do the Geelong midfielders use the ball well and move it forward quickly they share it around running their opponents of their feet. The Cats make it easier for them to do this by using whats called the centre corridor. The Dockers MUST flood numbers back when the cats gain possession in the centre of the ground. This will cause the Cat players wide otherwise they would have to bomb it to a contest in the forward line. Fremantle will need to maintan this and a aggressive aproach for four quarters to win the game in the midfield but infortunatley it is highly unlikley for this to happen.

Back Comparison:

Both teams have a solid backline. The Cats' consisting of player such as Scarlett, Harley (Skipper), and Milburne just to name a few. This will be very interesting to watch because Fremantle should have a number of quality midfielders coming back for this clash. The Dockers best defender Luke Mcpharlin looks set to return and as does Michael Johnson. However rebounding defender Roger Hayden lookset to miss. Antoni Grover should get the job on Mooney as he is the strongest defender at Fremantle. This is one of the more even areas of the ground but it all depends on who is on the ball come match day.

Forward Comparison:

This is were both teams are strong. In my opinion it will either be a shoot out or a low scoring struggle due to the fact that both teams bost talent in the back and forward half. Matthew Pavlich the captain for Fremantle has kick 19 goals in his past 3 matches however 2 of those 3 have been at Subiaco. Jeff Farmer has a history of magic at Skilled Stadium and it seems to be his deciding match in his career. Chris Mayne for Fremantle came pick 40 in the 2007 NAB AFL Draft. He had impressed this season and his last few weeks have been extremely impressive. But the Cats forward half is just as good. With Players such as Mooney, Chapman, Stokes and Varcoe who are all capable of kicking a bag of goals.

Important Points:

• If the defenders of both teams are on their game come saturday it will all be down on the quality of the midfield. Geelong ooze depth and quality there and so if this is the case the cats should come out easy winners.
  • The only way i can think of Fremantle winning is if Sandilandes wins the effective ruck knocks and if Fremantle kick straight and kick allot of goals. A forward line shoot out would be Fremantle Best bet...
  • The 1 point loss at Subiaco in round 6 would be fresh in the minds of many Fremantle Players. Especially of the Fremantle Captain Matthew Pavlich who hit the post with 30 seconds left. If he would have kicked that goal the dockers would have grabbed the lead and probably held on for a remarkable win.... It wasn't to be.

Conclusion:

The Cats will be just too good and even if the weather is going to be shocking come saturday in Geelong im sure that and Goal Fest wouldn't be enough for Fremantle. The Cats are just to good a side to lose this match.

Geelong by 39 points

Last edited by a moderator:

punterpupnroy

International Cricketer
good write up but you were a bit off in the end, 74 point margin

Lol... Well i wrote that up on Monday and posted it later.. So i thought Belly was playing and i thought it was gonna pour but meh.... Anyone want me to write a match preview up on tuesday for the bullies cats game

Mad Snake

International Coach
yer, i thought he was having one last game or something, i swear i saw him walking out, but i just checked and he didn't play

punterpupnroy

International Cricketer
fremantlewu4.png
V
melbourneem1.png

Midfield Comparison

The Dee's young and inexperienced midfield may hurt them in Sundays clash against Fremantle. The likes of promising young talent such as Cale Morton , Nathan Jones and Simon Buckley against Fremantle's experienced but sometimes lackluster midfield involving Carr, Mcmanus, and Sandilandes. Rhys Palmer for the Dockers has been rested for general soreness which begs the question... who will take the game on for the Dee's on Sunday. Subiaco Oval is a big ground and a long way to travel from Melbourne. So if The Dee's win this battle they will go a long way to winning the match. However I found it to difficult for the young Dee's to come to Perth and serve a good present midfield shootout against Fremantle on Sunday.

Back Comparison

Both teams have a pretty solid backline.. Fremantle however are struggling for the likes of Hayden who gives them basically all of their run from the Half Back line.. The Dees have a solid developing backline with Lynden Dunn, Colin Garland, Matthew Whealan and Paul Wheatley. They need to be on their ball because if Fremantle Captain Matthew Pavlich is on his game Fremantle are very hard to stop. But I think they will go alright in this department but they have to be aware of young up and comer for Fremantle Chris Mayne who is in sparkling form and can bob up anywhere and kick goals.. Fremantle have Antoni Grover, Michael Johnson and Luke McPharlin just to name a few.

Forward Comparison:

Both teams are quite strong in this department but Fremantle have the 2 big guns of Pavlich and Tarrant. The Dee's have the likes of Brad Miller, Austin Wonaeamirri, Aaron Davey and Matthew Bate. If these player manage to run Fremantles defenders of their legs on gameday they will go a long way to kicking a 15 goal+ score in their bid to avoid the wooden spoon.

Important Points:

• Aaron Davey needs to fire at Subi.. its a big ground and if he puts the pedal to the medal it will really help the Dee's
  • Fremantle's midfield needs to step up and be tighter in its ball movement, decision making and skill. If they are not on their ball in this department it will be tough for them to roll the Dee's.
  • Chris Tarrant for Freo needs to stand up and kick a big bag. He need to kick straight and hold his marks otherwise it will be another day gone missing for the former magpie.
  • Brad Miller is fit and firing. The Dockers defence MUST stop him and cut down his fed ball.. If he is on his game he can tear just about any side apart.
  • Fremantle will be looking to fix their terrible effort last time these two teams met.. Fremantle gave up a 9 goal advantage to sink to the Dees by 1 straight kick

Conclusion:
Fremantle should acount for Melbourne at home and infront of their fans. If they feed plenty of ball to their forward line they should win the match

Fremantle by 13 Points

punterpupnroy

International Cricketer
I know.. i forgot about it.. had to do it this late last night..lol i should have donne the SA derby.. but meh

punterpupnroy

International Cricketer
hawthornwu6.png
V
geelongve1.png

Midfield Comparison:

Both teams have a fantastic center line. However both teams are missing potent players through injury and/or suspension. Jordan Lewis for the Hawks will not be available for tonight's match and Cat superstar and favorite for the brownlow Garry Ablett is missing through a ankle injury, and to top it all off Cameron Ling the No. 1 Geelong Tagger is missing though a broken cheekbone. But the two teams need to take the good with the bad as they have plenty of depth to back that up. Luke Hodge for Hawthorn and Jimmy Bartel for Geelong are both A-Grade Midfielders. Hawthorns Sam Mitchell is a fantastic player as well, and to add to that list Joel Corey for the Cats is one of their best as well. So it will be very interesting to see who wins this battle 'coz as most games are this will be on and lost out of the center.

Forward Comparison:

This is the interesting part. Lance Franklin is the leading goal kicker for the entire competition averaging around about 9 shots at goal per match. However his unorthodox style lets him down when having a set shot. The Hawks also have
Jaryd Roughead, Cyril Rioli and Mark Williams who can all kick goals. The cats have Cam Mooney, Paul Chapman, Tom Lonergan, Ryan Gamble and Norm Smith Medalist Steve Johnson including Cameron Stokes and all on their day can kick a winning score. This is gonna be a interesting area of the ground but i reckon the Hawks have to much fire power in this area.

Backline Comparison:

That doesn't necaserily mean the Hawk Forwards will kick a bigger score. Geelong have the best defence in the competition with players such as Taylor, Milburn, Scarlett, Mackie and skipper Tom Harley who are all wonderful players. The Hawks have Ladson, Brown, and Trent Croad as the main guns in defence. But Geelong is to slick and solid in this area and should win this particular part on the ground.

Important Points:

• The Cats must stop Lance 'Buddy' Franklin from firing. This is the type of game he would fire
  • Hawthorn need to win the game out of the centre. If they manage to do this they will go along way to winning this game.
  • The cats need a bloke like Lonergan or Gamble in the forward line to step up and rub some salt on the wounds. This would help support Mooney and Johnson.
  • Hawthorn must cut Jimmy Bartel's influence on this contest. He is in sparkling form and if this continues it would serverily hurt the Hawks.
Last Time They Met:
Hawthorn 10.16 (76) def Geelong 9.18 (72), round four, 2007 at Aurora Stadium, Launceston.

Conclusion:
On form the cats should win this game. I just think it will to to tough for Hawthorn to beat Geelong for a full four quarters of football.

Geelong By 27 Points

Users who are viewing this thread