4. Stephen Fleming (c)
5. Brendon McCullum (wk)
6. Ross Taylor
7. Daniel Vettori
8. Tim Southee
9. Trent Boult
10. Shane Bond
11. Chris Martin
So, the batting line up is quite flexible, with BM a possible candidate higher up the order or changes to Guptill and moving him lower down. It's a good option to have. Fleming of course is a terrific captain and Williamson a terrific bastman. Southee just about clips Harris to make it into the team.

Rehan_24

Panel of Selectors
Pakistan

1. Saeed Anwar
2. Aamir Sohail
3. M. Yousuf
4. Inzamam Ul Haq
5. Shahid Afridi
6. Abdur Razzaq
7. Moin Khan
8. Wasim Akram
9. Saeed Ajmal
10. Sohaib Akhtar
11. M. Aamir

S

Satan666

India

1. Rahul Dravid
1. V Kohli
2. VVS Laxman
3. Zaheer Khan
4. V. Sehwag
5. H. Singh
6. MS Dhoni
7 S. Ganguly
8. Yuvraj Singh
9. J. Srinath (retired 2002)

Top 10 by country as the title of the thread suggests not top team!

Targaryen

You-Know-Who
India
RCB...
Profile Flag
India
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
India
Virender Shewag
Saurav Ganguly
Virat Kohli
VVS Laxman
Yuvraj Singh
MS Dhoni
Harbhajan Singh
Zaheer Khan
Javgal Srinath
Venkatesh Prasad

PokerAce

Banned
India
Virender Shewag
Saurav Ganguly
Virat Kohli
VVS Laxman
Yuvraj Singh
MS Dhoni
Harbhajan Singh
Zaheer Khan
Javgal Srinath
Venkatesh Prasad

There are 2 names missing there surely, I dn't need to point out who they are. Strange line up.

Targaryen

You-Know-Who
India
RCB...
Profile Flag
India
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
There are 2 names missing there surely, I dn't need to point out who they are. Strange line up.
Obviously, they are Sachin & Dravid.

cricket_icon

International Cricketer
Pakistan

1. Saeed Anwar
2. Aamir Sohail
3. M. Yousuf
4. Inzamam Ul Haq
5. Shahid Afridi
6. Abdur Razzaq
7. Moin Khan
8. Wasim Akram
9. Saeed Ajmal
10. Sohaib Akhtar
11. M. Aamir

I'm sorry, you can't have him, only 2 games this century :(

Why no Younis Khan?

Rehan_24

Panel of Selectors
I'm sorry, you can't have him, only 2 games this century :(

Why no Younis Khan?

I picked with a supposition when every player is on his peak. Aamir at his peak was even better than Saeed Anwar, remember the era from 92 to 96. Simply master-class. I felt he was an under-rated player, later fell victim of internal fighting, politics and eventually lack of form

cricket_icon

International Cricketer
I picked with a supposition when every player is on his peak. Aamir at his peak was even better than Saeed Anwar, remember the era from 92 to 96. Simply master-class. I felt he was an under-rated player, later fell victim of internal fighting, politics and eventually lack of form

I understand but try and follow the criteria, otherwise we'd just pick any top player who played a match or 2 this century.

Also, you haven't told me, why not Khan?

Bluebagger

International Coach
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Australia

:bat: Justin Langer
:bat: Matthew Hayden
:bat: Ricky Ponting
:bat: Damien Martyn
:bat: Steve Waugh :c:
:bat: Michael Hussey
:wk: Adam Gilchrist
:bwl: Shane Warne
:bwl: Jason Gillespie
:bwl: Ryan Harris
:bwl: Glenn McGrath

Australia don't need a 5th bowler or an all rounder. I went with Ryan Harris because I think he was our third best quick of the 21st century he was just injured way too much. He would excel bowling with Warne and McGrath keeping the pressure on. There's a case that maybe he is too similar to McGrath and that Lee or Johnson provide the extra pace dimension. He actually played 51 internationals for Australia so he just makes the cut but that was stretched over a 6 year period it was only a frail body that kept that down. Mitchell Johnson and Brett Lee could be erratic at times, especially Mitchell Johnson, but they could be worth the risk with such a safe bowling attack. Personal preference here. It does mean the tail is a little long without Lee or Johnson.

Damien Martyn over Michael Clarke was hard but Damien Martyn's record in the 2000's matches up closely to Michael Clarke's and he did better away from home although failing in Bangladesh is what really brings down Michael Clarke's away record and for whatever reason Michael Clarke couldn't bat at 4. Darren Lehmann in consideration somewhere too, possibly for an Australia 'A' side.

Steve Waugh gets in because he is a legend and he ended up batting higher than his test and ODI averages in the 2000's and really he was playing good enough to have at least gone on the Indian tour. There could be a case for removing him and playing Andrew Symonds but I don't feel the team needs an all rounder with the bowling attack it has or you could remove Justin Langer and open with Adam Gilchrist and slot in either Andrew Symonds as an all rounder or Michael Clarke as the extra batsman who could bowl if needed.

About 7 out of the 11 of an Australian 21st century team picks itself with Hayden, Ponting, Hussey, Gilchrist, Warne, Gillespie and McGrath going to be in the team so it comes down to filling in the holes in the team.

Australia 'A'

:bat: Simon Katich
:bat: David Warner
:bat: Steve Smith
:bat: Darren Lehmann
:bat: Michael Clarke :c:
:wk: Brad Haddin
:ar: Mitchell Johnson
:bwl: Brett Lee
:bwl: Brad Hogg
:bwl: Stuart Clark
:bwl: Stuart MacGill

Something a little different and for a bit of fun. I went with 5 bowlers and 2 spinners. I still couldn't find room for Andrew Symonds so maybe depending on the pitch you could remove Brad Hogg and put Andrew Symonds in to the team.

Open the bowling with Clark and then have Lee and Johnson alternating short and sharp fast spells with 2 spinners keeping the quicks fresh. You would probably have Clark in tandem with a spinner for a while then replace with Lee and then Johnson at the one end while the spinner is at the other, it would be pretty relentless so hopefully Lee, Johnson and MacGill aren't leaking runs.

Last edited:

Rehan_24

Panel of Selectors
I understand but try and follow the criteria, otherwise we'd just pick any top player who played a match or 2 this century.

Also, you haven't told me, why not Khan?

Because I don't rate Khan as an A grade middle-order batsman. He has been useful but not upto the mark I see as great players

cricket_icon

International Cricketer
Because I don't rate Khan as an A grade middle-order batsman. He has been useful but not upto the mark I see as great players

Are you serious? The guy has one of the best records in modern times and is a great second innings run maker. It's weird in a team where you have Razzak who was just a slogger. I don't get it.

Users who are viewing this thread