The Best Cricket Teams of the 21st Century

cricket_icon

International Cricketer
So, there is always huge discussion in any sport about who is the best, in team sports, that becomes a bit more difficult, in cricket, with all the varied match types, changes in rules over the last 150 years and the difference in quality of pitches, bats, equipment, it is almost impossible. But, by looking at cricket in a times capsule and dividing it up into different eras, I think it becomes easier.

It's quite clear that the early 20th century was defined by the greatness of the Australian teams, boasting players such as Victor Trumper, Don Bradman and Bill Ponsford. Fast forward to the 70s and 80s and it's hard to argue that West Indies dominated, their utter control over test cricket coming to an end in the mid-90s, starting off Australia's time at the top.

So now, we're in a new millennium and a new century and I think it's the perfect time to have a go at ranking the best teams of the early 21st century. I'm going to make a top 5, sorting the wheat from the chaff and only ranking the very best teams. As cricket has grown, so has it's numerous formats, so the best teams will have to show a certain level of dominance or consistency in all formats.

My ranking criteria are as follows, in order of importance:

1. Just how good were they in test cricket?
2. How many, if any, ICC world tournaments did they win?
3. How do they compare to contemporary teams, did they beat the best teams around?
4. Just how good were they in ODI, 50 over cricket?
5. How many great individual players did they produce in this period of time?
6. How have they fared in the newest format of T20 cricket?
7. How has this team influenced cricket as a whole?

The Number One Greatest team of the 21st Century is....Australia

Cricket-Betting.jpg

W/L Ratio (Tests)*: 2.97
Number of ICC Tournament Wins: 4
Notable Players: Glenn McGrath, Ricky Ponting, Shane Warne, Adam Gilchrist, Matthew Hayden, Steve Waugh

Who else could it be? The Australian domination of cricket started as early as the mid-90s and was solidified in a crushing World Cup final victory over Pakistan in 1999 but it was in this century that the Australians took their domination to a higher level than any other team in recent memory. They would win the 03 and 07 editions of the 50 over world cup as well as back-to-back victories in ICC Champions' Trophy finals.

Their one day success, which may never be matched, was the perfect compliment to their all conquering test side. With wins over old rivals England, the ever consistent South Africa and the rising Indians showed that Australia, at their absolute best, were incredible both home and away. It's not by chance that the teams from 2000-07 consisted of some of the greatest players to ever grace a cricket field. Strong administration, consistent (there's that word again) selection policies and areal eye on grass roots cricket, the Australian side was molded into world beaters.

Both Waugh and Ponting, exceptional batsmen in their own right, were even more important as captains. Their iron willed determination to win and an unerring eye for making the necessary changes when required, allowed Australia to rarely take a step back. The fact that they won 101 of their 161 tests, drawing only 26, showed their reluctance to allow a game to drift. A win was always the priority. Consistent and exciting, that was Australia, always up for a fight.

As we go forward, it's interesting to see how Australia will do in a new landscape, where T20 cricket seems to be overtaking 50 overs. They haven't had the best of starts in the format, lagging miles behind the top dogs of Sri Lanka, Pakistan and India. The Australian administration seems lost with the format, they don't know how to select the correct players, this previous tournament a sign of just how confused they are, by picking 2 players approaching middle age.

However, there is a bright spark with the KFC Big Bash, a domestic T20 tournament which to me, is even more exciting than the IPL. It contains better pitches and more competitive games between bat and ball. Australia now needs to mine the young talent within the Big Bash and leave behind the old names of Hodge and Hogg.

The 21st century hasn't been too kind to Australia post 2007, they are no longer the conquerors of the world cup and their test form has been up and down to say the least. They have lost to the best in South Africa and England far too often recently and looked lost at sea abroad, although their battering of England showed us the Australia of recent past, physically superior and psychologically dangerous.

Their ethos, of playing hard and winning at all costs, making cricket a tougher game than it used to be, helped to not only define them at their best but to also influence the way other teams viewed the sport. Some of the arrogance, bluster and aggression seems to have rubbed off on the modern day Indians and for a brief period England, who for 2 years at the top of the food chain, looked teek tough.

Australia, for the best part of a decade ruled the cricketing world with an iron fist and a dangerous mind. Their ethos has influenced the best teams and players from around the world. Maybe they will do it again, sooner, rather than later.

*All stats are relevant as of the 31st of December 2013.
----------

The number 2 team will be revealed over the next day.

Last edited:

PokerAce

Banned
So, there is always huge discussion in any sport about who is the best, in team sports, that becomes a bit more difficult, in cricket, with all the varied match types, changes in rules over the last 150 years and the difference in quality of pitches, bats, equipment, it is almost impossible. But, by looking at cricket in a times capsule and dividing it up into different eras, I think it becomes easier.

It's quite clear that the early 20th century was defined by the greatness of the Australian teams, boasting players such as Victor Trumper, Don Bradman and Bill Ponsford. Fast forward to the 70s and 80s and it's hard to argue that West Indies dominated, their utter control over test cricket coming to an end in the mid-90s, starting off Australia's time at the top.

So now, we're in a new millennium and a new century and I think it's the perfect time to have a go at ranking the best teams of the early 21st century. I'm going to make a top 5, sorting the wheat from the chaff and only ranking the very best teams. As cricket has grown, so has it's numerous formats, so the best teams will have to show a certain level of dominance or consistency in all formats.

My ranking criteria are as follows, in order of importance:

1. Just how good were they in test cricket?
2. How many, if any, ICC world tournaments did they win?
3. How do they compare to contemporary teams, did they beat the best teams around?
4. Just how good were they in ODI, 50 over cricket?
5. How many great individual players did they produce in this period of time?
6. How have they fared in the newest format of T20 cricket?
7. How has this team influenced cricket as a whole?

I agree with the Aussie team as the most dominant in the century. I have not done all the Math you have and don't know the W/L ratio and all that, but I think the Indian Team from 07-11 would rate very well and could well be second.

Based on the question u have raised.

1) How good were they in test cricket? - Won series away to Eng, NZ, drew in SA. Numerous wins at home. Went on to become Test No. 1 team in the ICC rankings.

2) How many, if any, ICC world tournaments did they win? - Won WC T20, and WC 2011

3) How do they compare to contemporary teams, did they beat the best teams around? - I think they pretty much beat everyone over that period in test and ODIs, atleast at home, except perhaps SA, with whom they had only one series in the period, away and they drew that. ODIs happen too much and one cannot really keep track of all of them, but I remember them winning the VB series in Aus at the period, and I am sure they had a good record against all teams in ODIs. WC 2011 to finally top it all off.

4) Just how good were they in ODI, 50 over cricket? - I think the answer to Q3 covers this.

5) How many great individual players did they produce in this period of time? - Tendulkar, Dravid, world class Test players by any standards, Tendulkar - the greatest ODI batsmen ever, MSD the best ODI finisher ever. Sehwag - Was a peerless destroyer at his peak. Modern Day best batsman by far - Virat Kohli came through in this period.

6) How have they fared in the newest format of T20 cricket? - Won the inaugural T20 event.

7) How has this team influenced cricket as a whole? - Above all they broke hitherto unkown boundaries in limited overs. Two of their players broke the 200 indi score in ODIs which was so far thought to be unachievable. Also they showed the way regularly chasing down huge totals and mastered the art of chasing down huge totals to a science.

Last edited:

cricket_icon

International Cricketer
A certain PokerAce beat me to it but here's my second best team of the 21st century

And in at Number 2....India

W/L Ratio (Tests): 1.46
Number of ICC Tournament Wins: 3
Notable Players: Sachin Tendulkar, MS Dhoni, Anil Kumble, Virendar Sehwag, Sourav Ganguly, Rahul Dravid

sachin.jpg

This was a very close pick, with South Africa vying for the second spot but India edged it due to their consistent and impressive form in the shorter formats of the game. A win in the ICC WC 2011 allowed India to join the very exclusive club of multiple world cup winners (joining Asutralia and the West Indies). India would then complete their domination of the 50 over game with an impressive Champions Trophy campaign in England.

India's test form has not been as consistent as their tremendous run in the shorter format, losing to England without so much as a growl of aggression and following that loss with a similarly pathetic showing down under. Having said that, their test form has been good at home, managing to best Australia and Pakistan and having competitive, heavyweight tussles against England and South Africa. In fact, the loss to England in India was not so much India under performing but rather, they came up against an England side unwilling to lose.

I think it's important that the Perth test in 2008 gets a mention, as India won a very good game of cricket, showing that there was still hope for them away from home. There is no denying that India have the batting talent and skill to succeed anywhere on the planet but they have for too long, lacked a cohesive and explosive bowling unit. However, Anil Kumble was one of the leading spinners of the century and Zaheer Khan a very good medium/fast bowler.

India, in this early part of the century, will be remembered mostly for their limited overs exploits, however their lack of success post-2007 in the T20 format is perplexing, they have the biggest and richest domestic T20 league and a tonne of players who seem built for the format. As for influence of the game, they lag behind both Australia and South Africa in influencing play style but they have influenced the game financially, for better or for worse, more so than any other nation in the history of this sport.

Users who are viewing this thread