Top 4 All Rounders Ever

Bublu Bhuyan

School Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
Now this is a tricky question. Most of the times the question is about the top 3 all rounders ever. And the answer is unanimous - Gary Sobers, Imran Khan, Keith Miller. At least that's the opinion I share, don't know about you guys.

However, given the job of picking the top 4 all rounders ever, it gets really tricky. There are quite a few contenders for that spot. Kapil Dev ? What about Ian Botham ? Or what about the modern day great Jacques Kallis ? Or is there someone whom I'm missing ?

Another issue. While I've already listed my top 3 all rounders above, why is it that despite having the stats of qualifying for that list, Kallis nearly always misses out. I myself can't convince myself of rating Kallis among the top 3 all rounders ever. And that's because I believe that Sobers, Imran and Miller had a much better impact than Kallis did. What's your opinion on this issue ? Do you think it's unfair on Kallis despite having the stats on his side ?

jkartik

Chairman of Selectors
Gary Sobers
Imran Khan
Keith Miller
Kapil Dev

kallis is a good bowler but doesnt even come CLOSE to the top 4. i dont think any batsman fears for his wicket when kallis is bowling.

Last edited:
D

Dutch

I would definitely have Botham in there: but then I again, I would say that!

Bublu Bhuyan

School Cricketer
I don't want to annoy my South African friends here, but one reason for Kallis not getting his due is the way he approaches the game. While I do respect the guy, there has been multiple times where he has displayed a complete sense of disregard for his team's position/needs, resulting many fans and critics labeling him a 'selfish player'. Being a defensive player doesn't necessarily make a player selfish, but the problem with Kallis as I've stated is that there has been times when he has deliberately not raised the tempo despite his team needing him to do so. As for his bowling, he used to be quite sharp with the ball until some years ago. With age, he has lost that sharpness and is now just a part time bowler.

CG123

Chairman of Selectors
Sir Richard Hadlee would have to be there, or there abouts.

Bublu Bhuyan

School Cricketer
I would definitely have Botham in there: but then I again, I would say that!

Botham was class. The only deficiency one can point in him is his below par batting record against the West Indies. His one particular innings during the Ashes of 1981 is rated by WISDEN among it's top 10 greatest Test innings ever. That innings is undeniably among the top 5 greatest Ashes innings ever, bettered only by some of Bradman's innings.

Bublu Bhuyan added 1 Minutes and 16 Seconds later...

Sir Richard Hadlee would have to be there, or there abouts.

Hadlee would have been an extremely strong contender if he could have managed a Test batting average of 30 or better. Having said that, he still is a contender I believe. He was a genius with the ball, the best among the 4 all rounders of his time (bowling wise). I missed his name, thanks for reminding.

Howsie

Chairman of Selectors
I don't want to annoy my South African friends here, but one reason for Kallis not getting his due is the way he approaches the game. While I do respect the guy, there has been multiple times where he has displayed a complete sense of disregard for his team's position/needs, resulting many fans and critics labeling him a 'selfish player'. Being a defensive player doesn't necessarily make a player selfish, but the problem with Kallis as I've stated is that there has been times when he has deliberately not raised the tempo despite his team needing him to do so. As for his bowling, he used to be quite sharp with the ball until some years ago. With age, he has lost that sharpness and is now just a part time bowler.

That's it, he just isn't a fan favourite.

I think people overlook Kallis because:

- We see him as a reluctant bowler

- He is a world class batsman in his own right

- He doesn't seem to have the most endearing personality, often accused of being selfish and reluctant to bowl. He doesn't have the charisma that a Imran Khan or Ian Botham did, he just doesn't seem to capture the imagination of cricket fans like the truly great all rounders did.

I guess my top ten would be something like this, counting down from 10 btw:

Shuan Pollock, Andrew Flintoff, Chris Cairns, Sir Richard Hadlee, Kapil Dev, Sir Ian Botham, Keith Miller, Imran Khan, Jacques Kallis, Sir Garfield Sobers

McLOVIN

Chairman of Selectors
- He doesn't seem to have the most endearing personality, often accused of being selfish and reluctant to bowl. He doesn't have the charisma that a Imran Khan or Ian Botham did, he just doesn't seem to capture the imagination of cricket fans like the truly great all rounders did.

ya, he isnt exactly a flashy guy. isnt the popular 1 in class..

D

Dutch

A good point is raised here by Howsie: an all-rounder needs something that other cricketers who are technically better might not have; charisma. They are the players that you feel can take a match away from you and do something unique and special with either bat or ball even if the statistcs might not suggest they were the best. Flintoff is a classic example, and Botham to to a certain extent. In one or two crucial situations during an innings they are in the thick of it and turn the advantage towards their team. Everybody remembers Bothams knock against the Aussies in 1981. Few remember it was actually Bob Willis who came out and knocked them over!:)

McLOVIN

Chairman of Selectors
lance klusener in that case ^

oh and Shahid Afiridi. he will do anything to take the game away from you. pretty handy with the teeth

stereotype

Club Cricketer
I don't feel that an allrounder needs aura any more than a great player of one discipline is but they have to be able to be game breaking with both bat and ball.

If I named a top 4 it would be Sobers, Khan, Miller, Dev and the reason I don't include Kallis is because while he is handy with the ball and a master with the bat he is not like these guys in that they were feared with both bat and ball and these guys were genuine strike bowlers. Miller took the new ball and was one of the best fast bowlers Australia have ever produced even without his batting, Khan is the God and father of reverse swing and Dev did have the most test wickets out of everyone at one stage.

Kallis to me is a great batsman before he is a great allrounder. If I had to name my top 10 he would probably fit somewhere but as an allrounder I think these other guys are much more balanced. He is similar to Doug Walters in many ways as an allrounder.

He is though the best all rounder for the decade and probably top 3-5 batsmen of the decade.

I would take Walters as an allrounder probably ahead of Cairns, Pollock and Flintoff.

Bublu Bhuyan

School Cricketer
A good point is raised here by Howsie: an all-rounder needs something that other cricketers who are technically better might not have; charisma. They are the players that you feel can take a match away from you and do something unique and special with either bat or ball even if the statistcs might not suggest they were the best. Flintoff is a classic example, and Botham to to a certain extent. In one or two crucial situations during an innings they are in the thick of it and turn the advantage towards their team. Everybody remembers Bothams knock against the Aussies in 1981. Few remember it was actually Bob Willis who came out and knocked them over!:)

Took the words out of my mouth with the example of Flintoff.

Bublu Bhuyan added 4 Minutes and 31 Seconds later...

One guy who often gets overlooked in the category of all rounders is from this very own era - Shaun Pollock. An average of 32.31 with the bat and 23.11 with the ball ...... WOW, that's magnificent !!

I personally prefer bowling all rounders, and that's one particular reason I prefer Pollock ahead of Kallis as an all rounder.

ben94

School Cricketer
Would have Botham as the 4th all rounder in that list. A true matchwinner.

Reckon Aubrey Faulkner is one of the most criminally underrated all rounders though. Probably because not many people have heard of him but he looked a pretty handy cricketer judging from the stats. Averages 40 with the bat and took wickets with an average in the mid twenties which is really impressive for a leggie.

khalek

Panel of Selectors
Shane Watson after 5 years. ;)

Seriously, it is so tough to pick the top all rounders but my top 5 would be Sir Garry Sobers, Imran Khan, Kapil Dev, Ian Botham and Richard Hadlee. Kallis would definitely be somewhere in the top 10.

shravi

National Board President
Profile Flag
India
1) Gary Sobers
2) Imran Khan
3) Keith Miller
4) Jacques Kallis

Users who are viewing this thread