Tracking the faulty ranking system

War

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
Are you suggesting that Hammond and Sutcliffe's 440 runs each wasn't what got them over the line?

Their roles were important, but its hard to look past Larwood contribution being key, especially consider that was period when 90mph was non existent (1900-1939) & his efforts succumbed Bradman to one of his few human like series averages of his glittering career.

War

Chairman of Selectors
PAK being ranked # 3 after beating AUS i'd consider a ranking system fault. NZ still the third best team in the world on current form.

War

Chairman of Selectors

grkrama

National Board President
The stupid ranking system works like that its two bad series and you are out, same happened during india slump form no 1 spot, you loose first series badly its 3rd place then next one you get to 5-6 spot.

But in a way it also reflected the change in quality of the side as drastically as the place dropped, i dont think SA are world beaters of now.

Markkkkk

I have waited 10 years for this!
Profile Flag
South Africa
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
Yea SA aren't 6 but they arent far away from being there. We are starting to see the effects of the quota system...

RUDI

Administrator
Admin
SRH...
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Champions League Winner
The same ranking system kept us (South Africa) at the top for two years. Whilst others had the frustration of the shift in rankings. Poor form starting in India combined with terrible squad selections didn't help.. personally I don't see much change happening in the near future (in terms of squad selections) with stricter guidelines that will be unforced by CSA & the sports minister.

cricket_icon

International Cricketer
Big ranking system failure. Impossible that S Africa could be generally the # 1 or 2 test team in the world from 2006-2015 (loosing just 2 series) and after losing back to back series to IND & ENG - they drop all the way to # 6

South Africa slip to sixth in ICC Test rankings, Pakistan rise to third | Cricket | ESPN Cricinfo

@stefan @Markkkkk @Rudolph @cricket_icon @aussie1st @angryangy @IceAgeComing @SpitfiresKent

This is what I have been moaning about for ages lol

I agree with 3, 4 and 5 but the 1 and 2 spots should be SA and Australia. Plus, India have only won 2 of their last 6 test series, not to mention, Pakistan have two of the longest unbeaten streaks in recent times (SA are up there too). It should go like:

1. SA
2. Aus/Pak
3. Eng
4. NZ
5. Ind
6. SL
7. WI
8. BANG

Heck, even England have a better shot at no. 2.

War

Chairman of Selectors
The same ranking system kept us (South Africa) at the top for two years. Whilst others had the frustration of the shift in rankings. Poor form starting in India combined with terrible squad selections didn't help.. personally I don't see much change happening in the near future (in terms of squad selections) with stricter guidelines that will be unforced by CSA & the sports minister.

Well luckily in the test team, the two "black" players are actually very good in Rabada & Bavuma. Its not impossible, but I'd be surprised if this potential SA team going forward doesn't quickly recover from the IND & ENG series defeats:

Cook, Elgar, Amla, De Villiers, Du Plessis/Dumminy/Roussouw, Bavuma, De Kock, Philander, Steyn, Morkel, Rabada

Plus with Morris batting getting better as an all-rounder, there could be room to play 4 quicks & 1 spinner (Tahir or Piedt)

Markkkkk

I have waited 10 years for this!
Profile Flag
South Africa
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
On paper we have a very good team. The problem (despite quota buts complaining about that would be beating a dead horse) is the management. Russell Domingo isn't good enough to be coaching SA. We refuse to hire someone to help physiologically even though we are known to be a mentally weak team. The fact that we don't have a batting coach is embarrassing and I don't think Charl Langeveldt is too good of a coach...

But for real, Bavuma isn't 'very good' and if I see Faf in the test team I will lose it. He averaged 16 in the last season and the last two years his average is 31 and take out the Zimbabwe series and his average is 27.76 which isn't good enough. JP hasn't scored a run either. Might as well give Rossouw an extended run in the side (Imagine if he played instead of Du Plessis and Duminy in the last couple years) and Morris isn't a test match bowler. He must be in the ODI side ahead of Wiese and Behardien as he bowls well in ODIs and we can always use his fielding. Please don't compare Piedt and Tahir, the selectors are lying to you. I'd have this:

Cook <3
Elgar
Amla
de Villiers
Rossouw
De Bruyn/Puttick/Kuhn
de Kock
Steyn
Morkel/Philander
Rabada
Tahir

de Bruyn will sooner or later need Test cricket so might as well give him some game time now, if not Puttick and Kuhn have consistently scored runs in the Sunfoil Series so they should be given a chance, I know they don't bat lower down but with one of them and de Kock we effectively have a new opening pair by the second new ball.

Users who are viewing this thread