Truly Disgraceful Behaviour

Highlander999

ICC President
Firstly I think this belongs here and not in the Football Forum as it is linked heavily with issues in our society.

The behaviour of the Rangers fans last night, was in one word, disgraceful. I have never seen so much drink fueled violence and such a complete lack of respect for persons and their property, in Britain, before. On Wednesday morning, when I was getting the train into school their were a bunch of Rangers fans on the train (drunk already) shouting how they were going to f****** knife any Catholics and rip their throats out. On the way back on the train this evening, half of the carriages were full of drunken fans looking for a fight. I can honestly say that I have never felt so scared for my safety as I did this afternoon. I can only say it is lucky I am not Catholic as there were a couple of Celtic fans on the train and they got heckled of the train before it was their stop and I expect if they had stayed on for 10 more minutes they would have been knifed.

No wonder Scotland has such a bad reputation when if you look at the clip below, fans are fighting with each other. (Warning the video is not pretty, See's a guy getting KO'd) I also saw the video of about 20 fans beating the crap out of a police officer. It made me sick just watching it

I must say I have never felt so ashamed to be classed as a Scot. There were fans boasting that the English poofs could not get them beer fast enough and that they should know of the reputation of Scots for drinking and fighting. All I can say is I can't wait to get out of Scotland as soon as possible as it appears the stigma of the Scot with the beer belly looking for a fight is truly, alive and kicking.

Last edited by a moderator:

The Spin

Panel of Selectors
Having taken the Manchester Metrolink system home from school at around 5pm last night I can say that the drink was certainly flowing. Fortunately I was out before the violence started. Having watched the video I support the police, they tried throughout the day to be lenient and in the end did what they had to. Some of the behviour was absolutely unacceptable. The police were dealing with full-scale rioting at one stage and strong action had to be taken.

It reflects badly on Rangers fans and has, to some, reflected badly on Manchester police as well, to the extent that the Champions League final will not be screened in the city centre. A bad night all round.

PhilD123

International Coach
Online Cricket Games Owned
Check out what I said in the Uefa Cup thread. Instead of looking at their own behaviour, everyone seems to be blaming the Manchester police. A Russian fan was stabbed outside the stadium, which not only is disgraceful in itself, could trigger problems for the Champions League final next week. Manchester city centre is a wreck now by all accounts.

On the sectarianism, it really is crazy. someone on the show after 606 on 5 live last night was saying how they're a scotsman living in Bolton and support United. So they went to Manchester. Got into a group of Rangers fans and after trusting them, told them he was actually Catholic. They then turned on him and his brother. His brother got hit over the head and had to go to hospital, while, the man scarpered.

EDIT: Yep, Chez is right, the police have confirmed that down to mindless Rangers fans, the Champions League final will not be shown on big screens.

Last edited:

Leicester Fox

Chairman of Selectors
Violence in football, whatever next? It's not nice but it does happen all over the world and it was more to do with the fact there was 100000 of them that guaranteed trouble. Annoys me that their fans try and condone it though. Scotlands football is pretty crap so this was their big day out, pretty stupid that they have to do this.

Don't really have this problem with united, seen lads jib in and stuff on aways but normally most of them just go for a few drinks and too follow the side. Felt that Rangers here wanted to show everyone how tough they are, it's just the fact there was so many of them which made it difficult to control.

Still want to go Leeds away next year with my mates to see if they live up to their reputation :p

barmyarmy

Retired Administrator
I reckon Moscow will be worse. Apparently all the Russian casuals are itching for a pop against the famous English hooligans.

zimrahil

Retired Administrator
PlanetCricket Award Winner
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Check out what I said in the Uefa Cup thread. Instead of looking at their own behaviour, everyone seems to be blaming the Manchester police.

Agree 100% with the bit in bold

PhilD123

International Coach
Violence in football, whatever next? It's not nice but it does happen all over the world and it was more to do with the fact there was 100000 of them that guaranteed trouble. Annoys me that their fans try and condone it though. Scotlands football is pretty crap so this was their big day out, pretty stupid that they have to do this.

Don't really have this problem with united, seen lads jib in and stuff on aways but normally most of them just go for a few drinks and too follow the side. Felt that Rangers here wanted to show everyone how tough they are, it's just the fact there was so many of them which made it difficult to control.
Yeah the jibbin in is usual, gotta do what you can to follow your team, but the Rangers fans weren't doing anything like that, this was more to do with hooliganism. Even looking at what the Rangers officials and Scottish officials have said, they're not taking responsibility for it and instead blaming it on Manchester.

I reckon Moscow will be worse. Apparently all the Russian casuals are itching for a pop against the famous English hooligans.
Yep, the Russian firms will be out in force I imagine next week. Chelsea are kind of linked with Rangers in a similar way that United are with Celtic and that might be an extra motive.

I'm annoyed about MCC (Manchester Council) not putting up the big screens, would have been a great atmosphere, but at least one of the people that have made the decision is a city fan and technically United is under Trafford Council. They should trust us enough to know that we're not going to wreck our own city!

Sureshot

Executive member
Much respect to the police for the handling of last nights 'problems'. Alcohol + Sectarianism + their team losing is a recipe for disaster.

It's not surprising, really. Horrible, disgusting but not surprising, Rangers fans have an awful behaviour record, see number of times disciplined for Sectarian vile by UEFA (2 or 3 times over last few years). I'd love to say it will change, but it won't, because religious differences won't change, but we aren't going to get into that.

PhilD123

International Coach
Yep, agree about the Rangers fans, someone was saying somewhere that in '73, Rangers fans came down to OT for a friendly, and then ran on the pitch, hitting United fans etc. I guess it was more common then, but they seem to have missed what has happened in English football over the last 20 years or so.

Spoobir

Thread of the Month March 2018
Half of them probably went down there with the express purpose of getting tanked up and then fighting, the game was just an excuse to do the same thing they do every Saturday night but to a different backdrop. Just be glad you don't have to live with them :P

Plus all you English folks get down from your high horses. The people in Austria and Switzerland probably breathed a sigh of relief when you lost to Croatia.

Edit: And isn't that video just of Glasgow city centre on a regular Tuesday morning? :D

Last edited:

Sureshot

Executive member
The behaviour of our fans away from home is improving at a fast rate, as has been acknowledged by the top brass.

barmyarmy

Retired Administrator
Plus all you English folks get down from your high horses. The people in Austria and Switzerland probably breathed a sigh of relief when you lost to Croatia.

Yes, but Scotland isn't meant to have a problem internationally unlike England. I think it's different for club though anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread