Underwater Hockey

duffarama

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
Has anyone besides me played the game of Underwater Hockey.
It may seem strange to you, but we learnt in Physical Education at school.
Underwater Hockey is a rough game and in some respects it is a bit like Water Polo because there is alot of shuffling and it is hard to stay above the water.
Brad may have played this, but I don't know.

Please enter into this conversation with no spammage involved.

duffarama

Chairman of Selectors
QUESTION:
gold639 said:
Could you explain the rules of the game?
ANSWER:
brad352 said:

Excerpt of Information: (http://my.pclink.com/~jrogers/uwhockey.htm)

Underwater Hockey

Underwater Hockey is a game played on the bottom of a swimming pool. Players use only mask, snorkel, fins, a specially shaped stick, and padded glove, or something similar to protect the hand that holds the stick. The puck is weighted, usually made of lead with a plastic coating to protect the pool bottom.

There are 6 players from each team in the water during the periods of play, which usually consist of two 10 to 15 minute periods, with the teams switching ends at half-time. Each team may have a number of substitute players, with substitution generally allowed both during play and during breaks in play, which include half-time, penalty calls, and following a score.

Can I play? and what do I have to bring?
MN Underwater Hockey is very informal, and everyone is welcome. All you have to do is show up at a practice with your own mask, fins and snorkel, along with the other usual swimming pool attire. We will have a stick for you to use, and maybe even a padded glove, but it would be advisable for you to bring your own padded glove for your strong hand (stick-holding hand). Once you see how the game is played, you will probably want to adjust your stick and glove to your own liking. Contact us before if you want us to bring gear for you.

Swimming Ability
This is not a good sport for novice swimmers. You should be comfortable in the water, both in deep water and shallow. You should also feel comfortable using a mask, snorkel, and fins. The rest of the skills are learned only by coming to practice. Don't worry if you can't hold your breath very long, this will improve with practice along with other hockey-related skills.

Again, let me emphasize that our practices are very informal. Don't be afraid that you are signing on to a life-long commitment. Come and give it a try. We are always glad to see people at practice, but we will continue to play even if you don't come every practice night.

Cheers everyone!

Last edited:

brad352

Executive member
Looks surprisingly interesting, but I'd say it's a safe bet that you're the only one that's played it

duffarama

Chairman of Selectors
Yeah, well it has only been played in Australia and America widely so far...
I don't know if it has reached as far as Western Australia yet! :)

I am the only one who has played the game by the way, yes.

hi ppl

International Captain <br><a href="http://www.plan
Looks pretty cool.

hi ppl

International Captain <br><a href="http://www.plan
Is it an international sport?

duffarama

Chairman of Selectors
I don't think so mate. I think the sport is just being tried out in Australia and it is in it's development phase.

Will p

International Cricketer
well i saw it on a like stupid tv show and so me and some mates plated it, we used some poles th pool had and ball that sank, it was a bit stupid, but a laugh! we jus said it had to hit the end of the pool to score, it was really hard and it didnt work at all lol, i nearly drowned not being a swimmer!

duffarama

Chairman of Selectors
Yeah haha, the game is quite hilarious at times when you are being pulled down by the opposition and being drowned underwater consistently.
I guess the main problem is if you are not strong enough to stay above the water, I am sad to say that you will have no hope at playing the game.
And lol, were you playing with a medicine ball? :)

angryangy

ICC Chairman
A mate of mine plays it. He's Vice Captain for the Victorian Open team. There is some kind of International competition as well.

Users who are viewing this thread