Warne-Muralidaran Trophy (Australia in Sri Lanka) Aug-Sep 2011

^Really??

Sounds like Johnson was bowling with the seam up, if that is the case then it makes you wonder wtf Cooley was doing for the past 5 years.

Yeah I think his performance as bowling coach was VERY average. Name a bowler who improved under his watch. I can think of Siddle and Hauritz and neither improved by very much, and neither have turned into anything special. Guys with plenty of talent like Hilfenhaus and Johnson should have become stars. I'm sure Cooley will blame Johnson's attitude for his lack of development, but it just seemed so obvious in that session they had together before the Perth Test that he needed coaching. It's like Cooley was walking around with his eyes shut for 4 years. I've said it before, but Cooley's coaching ability seems approximately equal to the value of Murray's mints...

But anyway, very nice win last night. I'm wondering about the long term value of Brad Haddin in this team. I didn't enjoy watching him scratch around in the World Cup, and it seemed like he could never find that happy balance between stepping away, trying to blast every ball and trying to play a long innings. I think it's time to demote him to #7 and get Shaun Marsh up at the top. Steve Smith provides nothing as the 7th batsman and 7th string bowler so there is a spot there for Marsh. If they think Smith's development is more important than Marsh's, then fair enough I guess, but I think Smith needs more domestic cricket.

But anyway, very nice win last night. I'm wondering about the long term value of Brad Haddin in this team. I didn't enjoy watching him scratch around in the World Cup, and it seemed like he could never find that happy balance between stepping away, trying to blast every ball and trying to play a long innings. I think it's time to demote him to #7 and get Shaun Marsh up at the top. Steve Smith provides nothing as the 7th batsman and 7th string bowler so there is a spot there for Marsh. If they think Smith's development is more important than Marsh's, then fair enough I guess, but I think Smith needs more domestic cricket.

Smith just isn't the one you want batting at 7, he goes better with more time at the crease but it does seem he needs to get more confidence again. Christian would have been good for the number 7 spot being a big hitter which is what you want and his bowling is a bonus.

As for Haddin his best spot is opener, not really the one you want to hit out as he is quite one dimensional when doing so. I wouldn't have minded Wade being given a go as keeper and opener although he has been handy for Victoria at 7 so if Warner shows enough this season then we can bring him in and put Wade at 7.

Smith just isn't the one you want batting at 7, he goes better with more time at the crease but it does seem he needs to get more confidence again. Christian would have been good for the number 7 spot being a big hitter which is what you want and his bowling is a bonus.

As for Haddin his best spot is opener, not really the one you want to hit out as he is quite one dimensional when doing so. I wouldn't have minded Wade being given a go as keeper and opener although he has been handy for Victoria at 7 so if Warner shows enough this season then we can bring him in and put Wade at 7.

Hastings is already their, if the selectors want to take the route of replacing Smith @ # 7 with a pace-bowling all-rounder.

Much rather a batting all rounder at 7, bare minimum in batting skills should be a Hopes type player, Hastings is more towards Johnson.

Hmmm I'm still not sure on Christian but I suppose he could at least be given a chance, everyone else has :p

I'm a big fan of Wade, well from the little i have seen of him bat. Haddin really hasn't done a lot in one day cricket for a while now..

Which part of his game aren't you sure on? Bowling I can understand as he can be expensive but haven't seen much to suggest he wouldn't be a good number 7 hitter.

Which part of his game aren't you sure on? Bowling I can understand as he can be expensive but haven't seen much to suggest he wouldn't be a good number 7 hitter.

Yeah, I was thinking bowling side, because he is the kind of bowler that could leak runs at 9-10 an over in one day cricket. I suppose if its a straight swap for Smith its not too much of a problem as Smith doesn't bowl a lot of overs anyway.

His bowling is kinda of like Bravo, he's capable of getting wickets but he can be expensive. But that isn't a biggie for a guy that is in the side for his batting.

Yeah, that's it though - he really will only be playing for his batting. If we want a big hitting #7 - why not Dave Warner? Christian offers nothing with ball that Watson doesn't, so he's only going to be your 5th seam option. We saw the same when Hopes played, either he or Watson would be underbowled.

That's why I think playing the keeper at #7 would be the best XI, since Watson gives you 5 good bowlers already - your #7 doesn't really need to bowl, especially if we're playing Dave Hussey. Haddin's forgotten how to build an innings at the top, so a stint at #7 might be good for him, and Marsh deserves his shot to cement a place.

Warner needs to prove himself again in the 50 over format, he was pretty average last season. There are promising signs from the A tour but he still needs to show he can do it for a whole season. Christian pretty much did that and his OD record speaks for itself.

The other option is sticking with the current lineup but moving Johnson up to 7.

Or try Mitch up at #4 again :). I really wish they'd done that during the World Cup at some point - he scares captains into giving easy runs away in singles if he's disciplined enough. He would be a great partner for Michael Clarke actually because Mitch would spread the field and Clarke could just runs 1s and 2s.

Against teams that don't have really quick bowlers, then Hastings could be a reasonable #7 in a Tim Bresnan kind of way. But Hastings just seemed really uncomfortable with balls at the head in a few of his ODIs. Otherwise he looked OK.

Yea wouldn't mind seeing him up the order, probably looking at 5 since Clarke will be a lock at 4. Speaking of Johnson up the order, this article mentions moving him up in Test cricket. Basically playing him like Freddie Flintoff, you would want the keeper to be averaging at least 40 or Johnson to be doing so. That would be the ideal spot for Johnson if he could hold his spot for his batting as his bowling is inconsistent so it would be good to know if he is off you still have 4 bowlers + Watson left. However if Johnson's bowling has turned a new leaf with our new bowling coach then you could use his batting advantage again.

Much rather a batting all rounder at 7, bare minimum in batting skills should be a Hopes type player, Hastings is more towards Johnson.

Hastings batting is of Hopes quality for ODI cricket based on what i've seen potentially for a # 7. After all he was Hopes direct replacement when AUS dropped Hopesy in late 2010.

But odly i have seen the selectors batting Johnson ahead of him in recent ODIs, so really Hastings hasn't gotten the change to play a substantial innings @ # 7.

Hastings bowling which is also clearly better than Chrisitan, is also important with Watson the 5th bowler prone to being expensive every now and again, which is a achilles heel of the ODI/T20 bowling attack, that many dont adhere to.

lee getting some nice late inswing from the change of ends, removes dilshan. watson bowling cross seamers; have they somehow produced some extremely early reverse?

----------

yep, looks like a couple of reversing balls for johnson too, very nearly had sanga lbw

----------

tharanga gloves it through to haddin trying to leave a short ball. he's bowled some good balls to maybe help tharanga get into a bad frame of mind but that is just classic johnson.

Users who are viewing this thread