Warne-Muralidaran Trophy (Australia in Sri Lanka) Aug-Sep 2011

That is just sad. I thought it was a very good test pitch. Mahela and Ponting looked in no trouble amassing runs on that track. Its high time bowlers got a few things back in their favor.

While the pitch was probably too much towards the bowlers it was much better than the the roads we have been getting. It was a welcome change seeing the batsmen being made to earn their runs.

I think that is a good thing. Batsmen have had it far too good, and it wasn't like it was impossible to score runs. We saw a ton and a few half-centuries, the batsmen just had to apply themselves. More pitches like that I say! More results we see in Test cricket the better.

I can't believe how bad Lankan batting has been throughout the series. Dilshan is obviously under pressure of Captaincy. Sangakkara has also been very disappointing.

Hussey doing a real good imitation of a local batsman. It's not much more than punching and square driving the wider ball through the gaps, all quite deft and economical, but he has been picking up heaps of boundaries.

----------

Randiv now bowling outside leg at Hussey. Not appealing, though Hussey very nearly reverse swept himself into trouble.

----------

Shots now from Marsh against the leggie, one lofted off drive, the next one straight and along the carpet, then one more. That's his zone, but it's been sparingly used. A debut 50 that is nothing if not hard earned.

Wow, Copeland. The slowest, most accurate bowler since Mcgrath (accuracy wise).

Copeland is so economical. Good for Australia, especially with Johnson in the team.

Good on marsh for 50. Hopefully they swap khwaja with hughes, put in marsh in 6 and kick out hughes

Sri Lanka had a good session at the start of the day, but in the second, the game returned to looking increasingly bleak. The word I would use is uncompetitive. It's perhaps not surprising that a side bowled out for 174 lacks confidence, but that's exactly what was needed when the opportunities presented. Although they took two of the three wickets, Dilshan didn't back his seamers to use the old ball, instead preferring to have Randiv bowl at the lefties' pads. Later, there was a genuine edge with the new ball that went past a solitary slip. They may not be the best seamers, but if the slips aren't in position, it doesn't matter much. There are obviously some injury issues around the side and with Dilshan picking up a bit of cramp, perhaps they're feeling it physically more than mentally, but that's only a reason, not an excuse.

Copeland is very economical but has Indian pace and almost no swing, bowlers like this do not interest me at all.
However, I have been surprised by how well the Aussie pace pack has done on these slow, low pitches. They have a chance to bat SL out of the game and win the series.

This may not mean anything, but I've noticed that Watto and Huss have scored far quicker than youngsters Hughes and Marsh.

Compare the scores:
Watson 36 from 57
Hussey 76 from 152

Hughes 36 from 116
Marsh 87 from 211

This just shows that experience in Test cricket gives players the confidence to score quickly.

On the game: Huss and Marshy are putting on solid total. It would be great if Marsh could get a ton on debut.

Another good day of play for Australia. It was nice to see Hussey make some runs, likewise with Marsh. Interested to see if he can make his century, it will be a long night for him.

Hughes hasn't really taken his chances thus far nor Khawaja so either or could miss out. However a bit harsh to drop Khawaja as they left him at 6 which is a hard spot to make your mark compared to 3. If Hughes did get dropped though then Khawaja should be the one opening as Marsh would be suited to 6 more than him.

Users who are viewing this thread