Warne-Muralidaran Trophy (Australia in Sri Lanka) Aug-Sep 2011

ZoraxDoom

Respected Legend
Online Cricket Games Owned
Dilshan alone outscored Australia's top 7. Lulz.

----------

3 overs for 18, Aus's most economical bowler, and now their second highest scorer of the innings. O'Keefe making a good account of himself here.

Doodlesweaver

Club Cricketer
Dilshan alone outscored Australia's top 7. Lulz.

----------

3 overs for 18, Aus's most economical bowler, and now their second highest scorer of the innings. O'Keefe making a good account of himself here.

SOK's being very silly, he's probably playing himself out of this team by doing well.

If he has a really crap season at first class level next summer, he'll be in the test team in no time. This performing as required is a very, very bad idea with our NSP.

----------

How the hell does a whole team of international cricketers have no ability to bowl a yorker? Ridiculous. All 3 fast bowlers do not know how to play 20/20 cricket. Why weren't O'Keefe and Smith used more? Together they bowled 5 overs for 31, which means the rest bowled 15 overs for 168

The really joker in the pack is Lee as we all know he can bowl yorkers. He just doesn't bother anymore, he's obsessed with slow balls, usually bouncers or as they used to be called ****ing long hops. And when Johnson is frightened and he must have been very anxious being given the last over, he bowls even more junk than usual.

Aalay

Panel of Selectors
Profile Flag
India
Can Australians play spin bowling? Like seriously, what I saw today was just horrible. White was swinging his bat without even looking at the ball. David hussey was just too lazy to get his bat in and than Smith's dismissal was just horrible.

Doodlesweaver

Club Cricketer
Can Australians play spin bowling? Like seriously, what I saw today was just horrible. White was swinging his bat without even looking at the ball. David hussey was just too lazy to get his bat in and than Smith's dismissal was just horrible.

You answered your own question with your statements about how they played.

Dussey has never been great against spin, that's why he is regularly so mediocre in the IPL and who ****ing well knows what Smith's ideas are on batting?

Marsh was disappointing as he is ok against spin, not brilliant but ok, but then he's suspect temperamentally.

iridescentt

Panel of Selectors
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Generally we play across the line to spinners rather than straight up.

White continues to exemplify this.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
Good thing I didn't stay up and watch this. Looks like another captain with no faith in the spinners even when it is clear as day who has been the most effective bowlers.

ferg512

International Coach
Looks like White really doesn't have it in him, I mean come on you just have to look at the scorecard and see what an idiot he is. Smith has two overs left and O'Keefe (probably the best t20 bowler for Aus) has a whole over left, while Johnson, Watson and co are getting hammered everywhere. D Hussey really should've bowled as well.

----------

The really joker in the pack is Lee as we all know he can bowl yorkers. He just doesn't bother anymore, he's obsessed with slow balls, usually bouncers or as they used to be called ****ing long hops. And when Johnson is frightened and he must have been very anxious being given the last over, he bowls even more junk than usual.

Yeah I don't know what is going on with Lee, maybe it is he doesn't care because we know he can bowl the yorkers I saw him bowl them in numerous ipl games. In the end it hardly matters no one really cares who wins these t20s anyway.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
Looks like White really doesn't have it in him, I mean come on you just have to look at the scorecard and see what an idiot he is. Smith has two overs left and O'Keefe (probably the best t20 bowler for Aus) has a whole over left, while Johnson, Watson and co are getting hammered everywhere. D Hussey really should've bowled as well.

Yea if he didn't have faith in the NSW boys he should have had faith in his fellow Victorian.

mattfb

Chairman of Selectors
SOK and Smith had to get more overs. Dilshan was just destroying Mitch and Watto in those middle overs. In the end our total was a decent T20 score, the pacers just let us down. Plus Warner had only had about 40% of the strike when he was on 50* off 27 balls or whatever it was. Ridiculous.

mgt98

School Cricketer
Great knock by Dilshan and a very poor batting performance by Australia. Well done to Sri Lanka.

War

Chairman of Selectors
Some of the reaction to AUS defeat here that ive heard is seemingly being over-exaggerated due to the fact that AUS are currently losing alot in the recent past.

Fact is AUS haven't played in a while and IMO i saw this game as alot of rustiness. Yes one can be critical of White's captaincy in not bowling the spinners at the back end of SRI innings, but im that doesn't mean it would have made a big difference in the high score SRI made.

AUS batted like a team who have played in a while and to score 163 while doing so is not so bad IMO. AUS overall can certainly come back and level this series.

Overall though looking ahead to the T20 which will be played in SRI next year. M Hussey, Nannes, Tait, Harris HAVE to be back in the T20 set-up sooner rather than later. But of course with Hilditch and the stupid gang running things i wont be holding my breath for such sense to prevail.

cricketmad09

International Coach

No. We can not. We're terrible against spin.

cricketmad09

International Coach
Some of the reaction to AUS defeat here that ive heard is seemingly being over-exaggerated due to the fact that AUS are currently losing alot in the recent past.

Fact is AUS haven't played in a while and IMO i saw this game as alot of rustiness. Yes one can be critical of White's captaincy in not bowling the spinners at the back end of SRI innings, but im that doesn't mean it would have made a big difference in the high score SRI made.

AUS batted like a team who have played in a while and to score 163 while doing so is not so bad IMO. AUS overall can certainly come back and level this series.

Overall though looking ahead to the T20 which will be played in SRI next year. M Hussey, Nannes, Tait, Harris HAVE to be back in the T20 set-up sooner rather than later. But of course with Hilditch and the stupid gang running things i wont be holding my breath for such sense to prevail.

I understand that you need to try and develop youth, but at the same time they're ending the careers of tried, tested and proven players with age the only factor. The selectors already have a pre-conceived opinion about who should be in the team and how well a player actually performs at domestic and international level has absolutely nothing to do with it.

Stuart Clark, Katich and Nannes have fantastic international records, yet they've been thrown away like garbage.

Clint McKay is still in his 20's and has a bowling average of 21 at international level. Where is he?

Adam Voges - international batting average of 43, list a batting average of 44. Where is he?

Dan Christian - list a batting average of 40 with a strike rate of 100. Can bowl a bit as well. Where is he?

Brad Hodge - everybody knows how good he is/has been, but has not been given the time of day

Steve O'Keefe - proven bowler. has a first class average half of that of Michael Beer. Why isn't he in the test squad?

Chris Swan - one of the best performing bowlers in domestic cricket over the past few years and handy with the bat. Why hasn't he ever even played an A game?

Andrew McDonald - performed well at test level. has been on fire with the bat the last year or so. Now has an average of nearly 40 and a bowling average of about 27. Where is he?

James Pattinson and John Hastings- I know they are young, but last season I would've had them as my 4th and 5th best bowlers for Victoria in T20. In one dayers Nannes, Harwood, McKay were all ahead of those 2. Yet they are the 4th and 5th best T20 bowlers in the country? How does that work out?

Because Australia has been successful for so long, not only the selectors but the whole entire administration has no idea how to develop and re-build a team. They're just sticking anybody in the team and hoping that they will be a star and everything will sort itself out.

Here's my best XI from the players who didn't play last night.

McDonald
Finch
Hodge
Voges (C)
M Hussey
Christian
Wade (wk)
Lyon
Harris
Clark
Nannes

Who thinks that team would've beaten the Australian team that played last night?

And one more thing. 20/20 was the format Nathan Lyon was discovered in and excelled at. So why not give him a go in the 20/20's? Would've been better off with him instead of one of the pacemen.

ferg512

International Coach
Can someone tell me where Nannes is?? Last time I saw him he was carving up in the World t20 and now he is nowhere to be seen. I suppose they have decided to ditch him for Lee..

----------

Clint McKay is still in his 20's and has a bowling average of 21 at international level. Where is he?

This is another one I can't figure out, 15 odis 33 wickets at 21 yet he is not selected.

----------

Dan Christian - list a batting average of 40 with a strike rate of 100. Can bowl a bit as well. Where is he?

Can't say I agree on Christian, never really understood the hype with him really. Seems like Australias version of Luke Wright although I could be selling him a little short there..

Users who are viewing this thread