What gets your Goat?

sid_19840

International Coach
Online Cricket Games Owned
I had posted an article on this a while back on a blog of mine,but now I feel that its time to get a community view on this.Also brings into equation the doping discussion brought in the other thread.

There's definately a lot of things happening on our gentelmanly game that we are unhappy about.The match fixing and doping scandals might be two things which might be a common answer from most cricket fans.

I still feel despite all the latest doping scandals,that the thing which really gets my goat is the amount of money offered as prize to the teams.Especially looking at what some of the other sports are offering.A classic example might be the Jeev Milkha Singh's European Tour win yesterday-you might be amazed to hear that he won Rs 4 Crore as prize for the game.So why not offer something quarter as decent as that to the teams winning the big tournaments or the player of the series.Even more astonishing is the fact that in normal triangluar series or a test match in India,the MOM gets something as small as 25K US Dollars,probably similar to what youd get in a Wimbledon first\second round exit.Many of you'll say the sitaution has improved,but Im not sure if thats improvement enough.

manee

Chairman of Selectors
The world revolves around money, so I understand your arguement.

I think boards should continue to give meagre (so to speak) prizes for regular matches and series and really bring in the cash and prizes for World Cup's and Champions Trophy events.

Teams always talk about playing towards the future, but what is the future? A tournament that will be forgotten in a few months time. This is why I think there should be much more reward for big tournaments (World Cup, Champions Trophy, Ashes perhaps) but not for others as they should be seen as warm ups for the big competitions. This will also help squads give more people a go as well.

langerrox

International Coach
cheats like dwayne bravo, come on you know wether you dropped it or not!

sid_19840

International Coach
manee said:
The world revolves around money, so I understand your arguement.

I think boards should continue to give meagre (so to speak) prizes for regular matches and series and really bring in the cash and prizes for World Cup's and Champions Trophy events.

That doesnt mean you pay pocket money in normal games,players make more with ads and endorsements so you cant blame them if they're not motivated 100 percent for such games.

Even for big events Im not satisfied with the prize money,should be a lot more.

langerrox said:
cheats like dwayne bravo, come on you know wether you dropped it or not!

Fair enough,there's the odd incident that's always questionable.Slater claiming a Dravid catch springs instantly to mind.Atleast its not such a big issue with technology around(compared to say-diving in football)

manee

Chairman of Selectors
I do not mean pocket money, just an amount that seems nothing compared to HUGE events like World Cup...to do this, I think they should increase the amount in these big tourney's as you suggested.

puddleduck

Chairman of Selectors
One major difference between what you mentioned Sid is that Cricket is a team sport. They are contracted through the year, and earn a set wage with bonuses on top. In something like Golf, or Tennis, it is essentially an individual sport. They could feasibly earn nothing all year, or they could earn millions. They don't get a basic salary a year, they get what they win for themselves.

ZoraxDoom

Respected Legend
For me, the fact that pitches which produce low scores are substandard, and that so much cricket is being played. It's quite annoying now!

manee

Chairman of Selectors
Maybe the monetry prizes should be given on an individual basis. Such as if a batsman scores a hundred or a bowler takes 5 wickets in an innings.

m477yp4rk3r

Club Cricketer
Light meters!! surley the umpires know wether its too dark!! Its either dark or light

puddleduck

Chairman of Selectors
I agree with Zorax regarding the pitches. I love to see pitches that help the bowlers. It's not their fault that top class batsman are metaphorically speaking fat and lazy having feasted on flat tracks for the last 10 years.

Sureshot

Executive member
BCCI being bigger than their boots, the ICCs lack of action over many a matter (racism, Associate Cricket, etc) and finally Ashley Giles being in an Ashes squad.

langerrox

International Coach
people who say "What gets your goat?" instead of "What gets on your goat?" ;)

just joking !!

I hate blockers..

sid_19840

International Coach
langerrox said:
people who say "What gets your goat?" instead of "What gets on your goat?" ;)

You're lucky its your birthday today. ;)

What about technology,do you guys think its too much in use or should we also use them for lbw's etc?

Good to see btw the different things that irks us.

manee

Chairman of Selectors
No, no technology in cricket, because it offers consolation when a team loses that "that decision changed the match"...bad decisions are a part of cricket.

langerrox

International Coach
manee said:
No, no technology in cricket, because it offers consolation when a team loses that "that decision changed the match"...bad decisions are a part of cricket.
but why risk the chance of a decision turning the match where you can get a hundred percent accurate 3rd umpire decision?

Users who are viewing this thread