What should England do with Adil Rashid?

What would you do with him

• Take him and give him a go to see what he needs to work on.

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • Take him but don't play him so the coach and the players can look at him.

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • Leave him in the performance squad and county cricket and try in a few years time.

Votes: 11 78.6%
  • England won't need him in the future with Swann and Panesar around.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

RoboRocks

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
We all know that he's got good talent and genuine alround ability but is it too early to for him to be even considered for a test place in Sri Lanka or even a place in the squad.

The ECB have got a performance squad that was announced last week which included him so it could also be an idea to hold him back and see how he gets on in that and then see what happens in the next county season.

The problem for him though is if he cannot get a place in the squad for a subcontinental tour how can he get into the England squad at all?
If Panesar performs day in and day out and Swann does the same when he gets the chance. The selectors will pick Swann if they need a second spinner unless somehow he replaces a batsman and gets in as an alrounder which doesn’t look likely.

I’m interested on what Indian and Pakistani supporters think as well since they have been able to produce successful or promising teenage test match cricketers and what would they do with Rashid.

PS Could a mod please edit it to a public poll since I would love to see which person voted for which. Forgot to select it while to doing the poll. ;)

Last edited:

Animator!

School Cricketer
Just give him some exposure to a higher level, the performance squad being perfect. He's performed well enough to be in the A sides but not the test sides. In a couple of years when he's had a season worthy of being picked for the full side then pick him, if possible.

RoboRocks

Chairman of Selectors
If possible is the question.
With Swann and Panesar doing well he won't get a chance until England tour the subcontient again and that won't be for a while.
I would take him on the plane so the coach can look at him and assess to where he needs work on so he can go back to county cricket a better bowler but he will need Swann and/or Panesar to fall away a bit.

Leicester Fox

Chairman of Selectors
Bring him in 2009 ashes, first ball like Warne to Gatting, rashid to Ponting, he bowls a ripper that pitches a yard outside leg stump and clips the top of off. That'll do fine for me thank you very much.

Kev

Chairman of Selectors
They should keep doing what they are doing at the moment, play him in the Lions squad and give him time at the academy until he's good enough to replace an existing team member on talent not hype. Real life isn't International Cricket Captain. To pick him for a side 2 years away now is ludicrous.

Animator!

School Cricketer
He's going to have to wait till he actually does something deserving of a place in the side. His stats for this season aren't actually very good. Everyone's just jumped on the bandwagon because he's a young, English leg-spinner who can bat.

manee

Chairman of Selectors
He's going to have to wait till he actually does something deserving of a place in the side. His stats for this season aren't actually very good. Everyone's just jumped on the bandwagon because he's a young, English leg-spinner who can bat.

Indeed, after his stress fracture a year ago and the constant difficulty he has toiling away on English pitches which are becoming more batsmen friendly (mostly); who is to say he will not go the way of Hussain and Atherton and drop leg spin in favour of becoming a batsman.

I do not think he is near ready for the England squad and should be in the Performance Squad, on a two year basis to see how he improves in that period; if he has not become an England player in that time, he should go into county cricket and look to add some experience to his game.

angryangy

ICC Chairman
Bring him in 2009 ashes, first ball like Warne to Gatting, rashid to Ponting, he bowls a ripper that pitches a yard outside leg stump and clips the top of off. That'll do fine for me thank you very much.
More like the 2010 Ashes. Even if he is Warne incarnate, he can wait until he's 22 at least.

Btw, England and Australia are going to be sick of each other by 2011. 5 ODIs scheduled for June in England, plus the 5 Tests and tri-series in Australia. And of course like last time there's the Champions Trophy in April where we can say hello, then the World Cup following the Australian summer.

Sureshot

Executive member
I agree with most of what's been said, give him time to mature as a cricketer, his batting is really good and he could be a succesor to Flintoff in our all round spot (he's a lively fielder too), his leg spin is promising but it is leg spin so he needs to spend 2 years more learning it at least, go on Lions tours, performance squad, Loughborough Academies, etc. Maybe try and squeeze something in with Jenner too!

RoboRocks

Chairman of Selectors
Indeed, after his stress fracture a year ago and the constant difficulty he has toiling away on English pitches which are becoming more batsmen friendly (mostly); who is to say he will not go the way of Hussain and Atherton and drop leg spin in favour of becoming a batsman.

I do not think he is near ready for the England squad and should be in the Performance Squad, on a two year basis to see how he improves in that period; if he has not become an England player in that time, he should go into county cricket and look to add some experience to his game.

Yeah that would make sense but there is no way he'll drop his bowling because we know that he is a very talented bowler.

I might be getting ahead of myself saying that he's the next best thing after his first season. We'll have to see to see how he develops and see if he can live up to the hype.

I'm worried though to whether or not he'll have a chance at all in the future because Swann and Panesar have done so well and their both quite young in age as well so he might not have a chance at all.

Animator!

School Cricketer
If he's not good enough to force past those two why should he play? He shouldn't it's simple.

If a Test batsman is struggling you don't chuck in an 18 year old from 2XI cricket because he might be "it" in a couple of years. You see whose been doing well in the domestic season and you pick the most suitable candidate.

dikon

Club Cricketer
Needs to develop his game more we have enough spinners for the time being.He just needs to keep improving with Yorkshire and the Lions team.

RoboRocks

Chairman of Selectors
If he's not good enough to force past those two why should he play? He shouldn't it's simple.

I mean if he does perform and both Monty and Swanny are also doing well how can he get in the squad?

Nevertheless he will need some developing to do and looking at his season these are the things I think he must work on:

1. Develop his variations - As a 19 year old he won't have all his variations mastered so he will need to master his googly, a top spinner and that unique fast slider ball which bowls at real pace at around 70 mph.
  2. Learn to keep his nerve against attacking batsmen - What I have noticed is that batsman now go after him and won't let him settle so he must be prepared and keep his nerve for when that happens because now the opposition know now that he is one of the biggest threats.

If he can develop these qualities over the next 3-4 years then he will get among the wickets and if the runs keep coming as well he could find himself the alround postion if England can find a good keeper batsmen to help back him up and his fielding will helps to his alround game.

Users who are viewing this thread