Where were you?

qpeedore

SOTM Winner - July 2014
The purpose of this thread is simple. Choose a big occasion in cricket in your lifetime that affected you, describe where you were and what you were doing at the time.

I'm leaving the interpretation of "big occasion" up to you. It can be a world record, it can be a big win, it can be a batsman/bowler reaching a landmark that was important to the cricketing community. It can't be something like "Panesar just scored a run." It has to have been something special.

I'll give three examples to start.

Brian Lara was on the cusp on the record for the highest Test score. I was in primary school. Our principal came over the PA system to announce it and I remember his words, "And he's done it! Brian Charles Lara is now the new world record holder for the highest Test runs!"

Champions Trophy, 2004. Ian Bradshaw and Courtney Browne in the wicket. I was at home, my little 4-member household crowded around the TV screen. David Lloyd on commentary, asking people, "If you live near the ground, turn your lights on, it's pitch black out in the middle." When the winning runs were scored, I swear the entire neighbourhood was yelling and screaming in joy.

World Cup, 2007. A tournament filled with controversy. Death of a coach, a bungled investigation, a final played in literal darkness. But one match...four balls...
Malinga had just taken 2 wickets in 2 deliveries. Hat trick? Nah, Slinger Malinga had one better. 4 in 4. I was watching the match in a bar (because where else would you be in university when there's a lecture you're supposed to be at?) I was like no, he can't. No he can't. Oh...my...God...he did. That was for the hat trick. The fourth, I remember getting up out of my chair and pacing the place saying he did not just...no, that's unreal. He couldn't have.

Looking forward to the replies, if any.

CerealKiller

Staff Member
Fantasy Cricket Team
PAK...
Kings XI
Islamabad
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Avengers
Profile Flag
Pakistan
I remember when Pakistan won the World T20 in 2009, we lived in Europe and didn’t have any way to watch the match (the channel where we watched cricket, ARY Digital, stopped airing, and at the time we didn’t have an ISP), so the day of the final i came back from school in the late afternoon and turned on the news, and found out that we won, and at the same time my dad came and told me.
The Champions Trophy final in 2017 i watched live.

Yash.

Staff Member
India
Ireland
ENG....
SRH...
QG
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Melbourne Stars
X Rebels
Profile Flag
India
The CT2013 final story was quite an interesting one for me. It was supposed to happen on 23rd of June, and I was in Chandigarh, enjoying my summer holidays. It had been the first Cricket Tournament I had followed completely, so I was excited about the final.

The final had gotten delayed because of persistent rain. On that day, I was supposed to board a train and come back to my home town, Bareilly. Also, the next day 24th of June, was my birthday. The train was scheduled for 6 p.m. in the evening, but due to delays, it was now supposed to depart from Chandigarh at 2 a.m. the next day. So I remember, waiting for the train on the railway platform, and trying to find a way to check the score. We didn't have a roaming data pack, and since being out of my home circle, I couldn't use internet, so I used an SMS service to get the score. It cost me 3 rs, just to know that India was batting first, and the match was reduced to 20 overs.

I was dead tired by the time the train arrived, and I slept as soon as I got my berth. The next morning, when I woke up at 7:00a.m., my father was just checking the result of the match,only to find that India had won, after Ishant's special over.

It was truly a magical experience for me, and the best birthday gift I could ever get.

Users who are viewing this thread