Why do you enjoy seeing England's cricket team get beaten ?

andrew_nixon said:
tsyrmas - perhaps you could answer this one for me?

I have a friend, who's parents are both English. However, he was born almost three months premature while his parents were visiting friends in France. He spent about the first four months of his life in France and has spent the remainder of his life since pretty much entirely in England. Is he English?

By your standard he isn't.

Stop your ill-educated rantings and realise that there is a hell of a lot more to nationality other than where you were born.

Ok, what about this? if a Bangladeshi cricketer wants to play for a more quality side, has never played for Bangladesh, and his mother was born in ENgland and spent only a few months of hew life there after she was born, under the same circumstances as your friend, and has never been back to the UK since, should her son be able to play for england, despite never going there? because that is what the Jones situation is. His father was welsh, and therefore he can play for england. If this Bangladeshi's mother is ENglish by birth only, should he be allowed to play for england?

but cmon that is an entire different situation

andrew_nixon said:
No, because he had already played for Australia.
fair enough. i wasn't having a crack at ya, just wanted to make sure i understood what you were saying and all that crap :p

Griffo said:
but cmon that is an entire different situation
huh whats an entire different situation??? can u pls quote what ur talking about??? :rolleyes:

tsyrmas said:
is that unfair? just because i may not agree with all the people on this thread, who are mainly ENglish cricket supporters, doesn't mean i have to shut up

I did not tell you to shut up nor have I flamed you. I have just expressed my views like you have expressed yours

tsyrmas said:
Ok, what about this? if a Bangladeshi cricketer wants to play for a more quality side, has never played for Bangladesh, and his mother was born in ENgland and spent only a few months of hew life there after she was born, under the same circumstances as your friend, and has never been back to the UK since, should her son be able to play for england, despite never going there? because that is what the Jones situation is. His father was welsh, and therefore he can play for england. If this Bangladeshi's mother is ENglish by birth only, should he be allowed to play for england?
Provided he claims British citizenship, moves to England/Wales and fulfils the residential requirements. (Residential requirements that England is the only Test playing nation to have for their own citizens by the way)

andrew_nixon said:
Provided he claims British citizenship, moves to England/Wales and fulfils the residential requirements. (Residential requirements that England is the only Test playing nation to have for their own citizens by the way)

It doesnt stop all these foreign players coming in and playing for you though, you have more than anyone else.

Mainly because England has a flourishing economy and so is rife with immigration. If people want to come and live in England and by extension play for England in cricket, whose right is it to stop them?

tsyrmas said:
It doesnt stop all these foreign players coming in and playing for you though, you have more than anyone else.
Ed Joyce is the only "foreigner" in the England squad at the World Cup. The other three overseas born players have been English since the day they were born, despite what your xenophobia tells you.

manee said:
Mainly because England has a flourishing economy and so is rife with immigration. If people want to come and live in England and by extension play for England in cricket, whose right is it to stop them?

Pietersen did not come to enjoy England's flourishing economy, nor Jones nor Joyce, they all came for one reason, to represent England. Hence, i don't mind players like Strauss playing for england. But there has to be a point where the ICC says no. if not, whats to stop the ECB jacking up the salary of the next Aussie superstar to play for them. It'll become a business like soccer.

andrew_nixon said:
Ed Joyce is the only "foreigner" in the England squad at the World Cup. The other three overseas born players have been English since the day they were born, despite what your xenophobia tells you.

Pietersen is not English and has not been since the day he was born. IF he had been given full opportunities in SA and played cricket for them right now, would you still be saying he was English since birth?

England and Wales are represented by the England cricket team, that is why their cricket board is titled the England and Wales Cricket Board. Geraint Jones has a parent that is Welsh, so he has the right to play cricket for England.

tsyrmas said:
Pietersen is not English and has not been since the day he was born. IF he had been given full opportunities in SA and played cricket for them right now, would you still be saying he was English by birth?
Yes he has been English since the day he was born, he has an English parent. Is this that hard a concept for you to understand.

I have never said he was English by birth, but he has been English since he was born. There is a difference.

It really is about time you stopped your xenophobia.

skateboarder said:
England and Wales are represented by the England cricket team, that is why their cricket board is titled the England and Wales Cricket Board. Geraint Jones has a parent that is Welsh, so he has the right to play cricket for England.
Unfortunately Lee, we're dealing with someone who is letting his xenophobia get in the way of logic.

Mate i am not xenephobic. i have Greek and English grandparents, that does not make me either though. My parents, who were born here, are Australian. they are not Greek, they are not ENglish, they are Australian Only. Pietersen has english blood in him, but he is not English. no one can call him that.

tsyrmas said:
Mate i am not xenephobic. i have Greek and English grandparents, that does not make me either though. My parents, who were born here, are Australian. they are not Greek, they are not ENglish, they are Australian Only. Pietersen has english blood in him, but he is not English. no one can call him that.

If one of a person's parents are English, that person is English as well. That is how it works, no matter what theory you have!

andrew_nixon said:
Yes he has been English since the day he was born, he has an English parent. Is this that hard a concept for you to understand.

I have never said he was English by birth, but he has been English since he was born. There is a difference.

It really is about time you stopped your xenophobia.

Unfortunately Lee, we're dealing with someone who is letting his xenophobia get in the way of logic.

I am not Xenephobic at all, the only think i fear is nations taking advantage of the ability to move players around, and then going and putting them on higher salaries to get them to play for their countries. whats to stop them doing that?

skateboarder said:
If one of a person's parents are English, that person is English as well. That is how it works, no matter what theory you have!

thats an absolute cop-out. what a joke. it's not a theory i have, the fact is that you are a seperate individual form you parents. what makes you you is the life you lead. Kevin Pietersen, despite his mothers efforts, would have had to have lived a SOuth African life during his child hood. His mother could not have sheltered him from that.

Users who are viewing this thread