England/Flower aiming at 2015 World Cup

Owzat

International Coach
Online Cricket Games Owned
BBC Sport - England coach Andy Flower targets 2015 World Cup

What do you think are the main England weaknesses?

Can England make themselves contenders and how?

For me England have too many problems, the formats they have excelled at and are excelling at cover up many of those problems. Let's not get too carried away with the number one Test status. England have beaten the aussies and now India in a 4/5 Test series BUT which of those two sides was on top of their game? England played well but did the opposition really fight them and push them hard? They drew with South Africa who couldn't kill England off or they'd have won, they beat Sri Lanka without Murali or Malinga and they beat Pakistan who are always it seems out of sorts these days.

So why success in the shortest and longest formats, but not consistently in the 50 over format? In T20s the bowlers only need to bowl four overs and 'bits n pieces' cricketers can get away with it, and a quick slog can overcome any slight expense with ball. Players like Wright and Yardy are king in that short format, that says it. In Tests you can get away without an all-rounder, you only need four bowlers. Therein lies the crux, in both T20 and Tests you don't need an all-rounder type, someone who can bat and bowl effectively. England's number seven problem.

That said, England weren't exactly world beaters in the 50 over format when Flintoff was in the side. The problem is deeper lying, all manner of problems which are self inflicted in some cases and just a lack of practice in others.

- Experience. I think against Sri Lanka Jayawardene and Sangakarra alone had more caps than the England XI combined.

- Selection. Theories aplenty but we end up with all sorts of 'bits n pieces' players

- Pinch-hitter. England have become obsessed with this since the early to mid 90s when it became part of the language. Where England often fail badly is not in scoring quickly at the start or end, but the middle overs - or muddle overs as I like to call them.

- Muddle overs. When bowling England look to get through their 4th/5th/6th bowler regardless of whether they have the opposition down and out or not. The opposition just accumulate and end up in a good position to push for the finish line. When batting England don't seem to know whether to stick or twist, never quite knowing when to accelerate or push for wickets seems to be a key problem.

There are enough good players to make England a competitive side, if they can apply themselves. You can't pick Bell and Trott in the same ODI side, and England need to find that elusive and key number seven. If they now don't build for 2015 then they've no chance, if it is back to Wright and Yardy, or go round and round in circles without picking someone and giving them a run in the side to prove themselves then we might as well say "here Ireland, have our spot". 2015 isn't that far off, we need to identify two candidates and stick with them. Let's say Stokes and Patel, play them for two years and if they aren't performing then at least we have two years to try the same again with another pair. Even if only one is going to be a regular in the World Cup side, the other would be good back up in the squad - our reserves for the last World Cup beggared belief and lacked experience.

I'd much rather we had a separate ODI side to tje Test side, but at least keep those in both sides to a small number like 3-4. Those not in the Test side can play more for their county and more 40 over cricket, not ideal but better than playing Tests all the time and only playing one dayers inbetween Tests.

barmyarmy

Retired Administrator
Bloody stupid if you ask me. In my opinion one of the reasons we're so good at test cricket atm is that we suck at one day cricket.
I'd much rather the target was still to be the number 1 test side by 2015.

vet_m

Club Cricketer
Too Far .
Many things will change in the team by then.
Focus should be on defeating India in the ODI series both home and in India.

cricket_icon

International Cricketer
I think every WC should be a target for every team, along with improvements in the test sides, so why can't England do both? Of course they can.
Owzat, I think you are being a little unfair on the English side, it is not their fault they haven't been pushed by any of the teams so far. England have been too damn good.
On the ODI front, the biggest problem they face is that they pick too many bits and pieces cricketers. Or cricketers that try too many different things and forget the basics. The best recent example is Dernbach, who is being backed by the English selectors. The man bowls too many slower balls, slower ball bouncers and many other, often useless variations. The basics of cricket still apply in ODI cricket, that is bowling a decent line and length, trying to swing the ball, bowling the odd bouncer and yorkers during the death. Ajmal Shehzad, a much better bowler is being over looked for the likes of Dernbach. As Nick Knight often says, "your best players are your best players". England stray too far from their test formula when picking an ODI team and have done so for 20 years now. Look at all the successful ODI teams of our time (Pakistan, India, Sri Lanka, Australia) they have almost always had identical test teams.

sami ullah khan

Panel of Selectors
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
England do need to start performing in ODIs. They can be pretty poor in this format.

angryangy

ICC Chairman
I suspect that their weaknesses are telling. In the field, they often focus on controlling the run rate, but their batting can wilt when it feels the run rate is low. They need to swap it around; in the field they need to back themselves to get a wicket and they need batsmen who try to get big scores; even at the end, the batsman needs to be trying to get 30 rather than 4 from 4. I think they're getting better. They just need to keep showing conviction.

Rehan_24

Panel of Selectors
This is an over-statement from England Team, rather than a too much confident and emotional statement at this stage. There is a huge difference between the two formats, First you got to perform great in the One Days, besides there is a long way to go for that World Cup.

Themer

Chairman of Selectors
First you got to perform great in the One Days, besides there is a long way to go for that World Cup.

I think thats the whole point, they want to improve the ODI performances so are setting themsevles goals to aid them. Worked with The Ashes, Twenty20 World Cup and Test number one so it can't be all bad...

To be fair we were doing decently (not setting the world alight but decently nevertheless) in ODI's before the we lost to the Aussies and seemed completely shot come the World Cup. I think the we're a poor ODI side is over played personally.

----------

Agree with ditching Bell. Was amazing for Warwickshire in OD matches at the end of last year, looked really commanding opening the innings. And therein lies the problem if he's going to play ODIs he has to open or come in a three but those in possesion are simply better than him. He's a laughable number 6.

As for who comes in? Stokes, bit leftfield with his lack of experience but he's exactly what we need down there.

----------

That or Taylor but then again we'd be encountering the same problem with Bell of batting him out of position.

Adarsh

Panel of Selectors
Bloody stupid if you ask me. In my opinion one of the reasons we're so good at test cricket atm is that we suck at one day cricket.
I'd much rather the target was still to be the number 1 test side by 2015.
Ultimately though, they want to be judged and respected as the world's best team. Being the best at Tests and getting owned at ODIs isn't really going to establish an aura about themselves in world cricket. They need to be selfish, and aim to be the best at everything.

It has been done before.

BKB1991

Panel of Selectors
I think England being a poor ODI team is a false statement. They are a pretty decent ODI team and after capturing the TEST no 1 its good to see them aiming for dominance on the other format as well. Knowing the determination of this unit, I wouldnt rule out a good finish in the 2015 world cup.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
It really comes down to picking the right team for that format. The English need to get some big hitters into the side, that is the main thing they are lacking. Other than that I don't see what sort of planning they can do for the WC. In Test cricket you can organize more matches which worked a treat when England toured Australia but that won't make a huge difference in the World Cup.

Prithvi

10 years at Planetcricket
India
RCB...
Profile Flag
India
Its not that if you play well and do something extraordinary, you must give skyrocketing statements! Let them aim for 2013 Test Championship, its under their scope because of the conditions they have now.

2015 World Cup is far away.

Fenil

PC Cricket Leagues Legend
2015 is too far. For now well with this team I don't think they can win the world cup. They are no doubt the Number 1 team in tests but in ODIs, they have a long long way to go.

Users who are viewing this thread