Why do you enjoy seeing England's cricket team get beaten ?

Sureshot

Executive member
Online Cricket Games Owned
tsyrmas said:
My only beef is with Players like Pietersen, Joyce and Geriant Jones really, the others were to make a point. Yes, Strauss and Shah etc are English because they have bee brought up as English Kids. But if thats the major argument, then Pietersen and Jones and Joyce cannot be considered English. They were born in different countries, had international upbringings (despite the story told about Pietersen's joyous childhood), went to school in different countries and would have had friends from their respective countries. So, to be brutally honest, i have no problem with Symonds, Strauss, Shah etc. playing for England/ Australia, but yes, i strongly dissagree with people that have little connection with countries, apart from maybe relatives born there, playing for those countries. I mean, so what if Pietersen's mother is from England, we arent talking about her. If She wants to go and play for the English womens team then be my guest, but we are talking about a seperate individual, who personally, has no connection with the country. what about if Pietersen was adopted and his foster parents were english, but lived in Sth Africa? even if his mother gave him an English upbringing, does that make him English. i would think not.

So, Tsyrmas if you were born in England but had Australian parents, went back to Australia within say a year of your birth and lived back in Australia, had an Aussie accent, did all things like an Aussie does you'd still consider yourself English?

'Who personally, has no connection with the country'

No only half his blood is English (Welsh in the case of GoJo)
:rolleyes:

FreddieFan

International Coach
tsyrmas said:
Pietersen did not come to enjoy England's flourishing economy, nor Jones nor Joyce, they all came for one reason, to represent England.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought Joyce came here in order to play test cricket, which wasn't available to him in Ireland. I'm sure I read somewhere that he said he'd much rather be playing for Ireland having achieved Test status.

If you say he's not allowed to play for Engand, you are effectively barring him from playing top level cricket simply becuase of the place of his birth? Is this not a greater injustice than Pietersen not playing for South Africa?

tsyrmas

Club Cricketer
Sureshot said:
So, Tsyrmas if you were born in England but had Australian parents, went back to Australia within say a year of your birth and lived back in Australia, had an Aussie accent, did all things like an Aussie does you'd still consider yourself English?

'Who personally, has no connection with the country'

No only half his blood is English (Welsh in the case of GoJo)
:rolleyes:

i have said all along that situations like that is fine. but if ichose, at the age of twenty, to move to australia to play cricket for a good team, then thats just rubbish, as i would not be australian and should not be allowed to.

Sureshot

Executive member
If Joyce hadn't have played for Ireland it wouldn't have been a problem in many peoples eyes (barring the likes of tsyrmas) Joyce playing for England isn't right. You should only play for one country in your career.

tsyrmas said:
i have said all along that situations like that is fine. but if ichose, at the age of twenty, to move to australia to play cricket for a good team, then thats just rubbish, as i would not be australian and should not be allowed to.

To quote Andrew.

"It is perhaps worth pointing out that whilst a player with English parents born and brought up overseas has to fulfil a four year residential qualification for England, a player with Australian parents born and brought up overseas could walk straight into the Australian side without ever setting foot in Australia."

KP came to England because he wanted to play for us, not because we were a good side. He would never have played for South Africa with the way they treated him.

FreddieFan

International Coach
Sureshot said:
If Joyce hadn't have played for Ireland it wouldn't have been a problem in many peoples eyes (barring the likes of tsyrmas) Joyce playing for England isn't right. You should only play for one country in your career.

I certainly see your point, but I can't make my mind up about it - it doesn't seem fair to see test quality players unable to play test cricket because of where they were born.

tsyrmas

Club Cricketer
anyways gents... i am off to bed, it has been a pleasure debating with you all, and i am not xenophobic... night night guys :D

Sureshot

Executive member
That's not what I said.

I said he should only play for one country in his career. If he wanted to play Test Cricket he should never have put on an Irish jersey.

evertonfan

Chairman of Selectors
I'm Welsh down to my Welsh parents yet i've never even set foot in the country. I don't know how relevant that is to anything, but it's worth pointing out. I'd rather play for a Welsh national sporting team than an English one.

Will_NA

Chairman of Selectors
Sureshot said:
That's not what I said.

I said he should only play for one country in his career. If he wanted to play Test Cricket he should never have put on an Irish jersey.

However, if he had refused to play for Ireland in hope of playing for England, what if England didn't select him? What would he do? Would Ireland ever consider him again?

BigCrickNan

Chairman of Selectors
tsyrmas said:
Mate i am not xenephobic. i have Greek and English grandparents, that does not make me either though. My parents, who were born here, are Australian. they are not Greek, they are not ENglish, they are Australian Only. Pietersen has english blood in him, but he is not English. no one can call him that.

Fair enough Pietersen cannot be called English. But it isn't like hes some bloke who is totally unrelated to England. If one of his parents are English, he has every right to play for England and play for his country, even though he has two :p.

Adarsh

Panel of Selectors
Here's a hypothetical situation. If Pietersen married a woman who was "mixed" and had an Indian father and a Pakistani mother, could the child choose to play for either South Africa, England, India or Pakistan ???

ZoraxDoom

Respected Legend
In my opinion, those with English Parents/compelety raised in England are fine to play for them...

I like seeing England lose cause they normally put up a fight before doing so, only to throw away their hard work in a very pathetic way :) They could be a great team if they pull things together.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread