Why has there been no definitive answer on unique animations?

Parcelmoose

Associate Cricketer
Profile Flag
England
We've heard snippets about players' bowling actions and shot types being unique to each player. However, it is not exactly definitive. There have been marketing videos of Maxwell and Smith in mo-cap, but I may be cynical to suggest they are just that - marketing.

In an article Ross mentioned that they were in England during the World Cup to model the Women, however did this stretch to capturing unique animations of the players? I personally cannot see how the England Men's team have been in mo-cap suits.

My belief is that the stance is deliberately vague in order to encourage pre-orders, and that the finished product will not be close to as some have theorised. There is still a way to go until the release, and I hope clarification on the features is provided soon.

In terms of the game's release overall, I understand that a licensed Ashes game could not work as a DLC. There is no way that the two boards would agree to this. They will obviously get a share of sales of the game, so would have wanted a full retail game.

I, like many others, was disappointed by DBC17, however I believe we are compering it to the completely finished version of DBC14. It is clear now that DBC17 was unable to benefit from regular updates, because of the production of the new game. Therefore, I hope that it will be an improvement, but not as great as some may have hoped.

Biggs

This guy gets it
BGZ..
Profile Flag
New Zealand (Silver Fern)
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
but I may be cynical to suggest they are just that - marketing.

I'm absolutely positive @Ross would go to the extraordinary lengths of hiring and paying for; a mo-cap suit, technical equipment, electronic tracking camera, paying salaries of his staff and arranging for contracted cricket Australia players to "act" solely for a YouTube video promoting a motion capture session he had no intention of using in the actual game.

Ahmad94

Staff Member
PAK...
KK
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
@Parcelmoose -Except that there is a clear answer about it. Ross has said multiple times on this very forum about it - as well as on Twitter and FB.

You've watched one trailer that is less than 1 minute. How can you possibly make an assumption like that?

One example of many:
upload_2017-10-22_6-2-31.png

asprin

Administrator
Admin
India
PlanetCricket Award Winner
I'll give you a simple solution. If you feel like you're being taken for a ride, simply don't pre-order and wait for reviews of the game post release. But to say things are being said to trick people into pre-ordering is really not in good taste.

Parcelmoose

Associate Cricketer
Profile Flag
England
@Parcelmoose -Except that there is a clear answer about it. Ross has said multiple times on this very forum about it - as well as on Twitter and FB.

You've watched one trailer that is less than 1 minute. How can you possibly make an assumption like that?

One example of many:
View attachment 198332

But why are the features so vague? Why not promote the fact that there are unique animations. I truly hope I'm wrong, but it just feels that the vagueness of many features allows fans to fill gaps with their own speculations

I'm absolutely positive @Ross would go to the extraordinary lengths of hiring and paying for; a mo-cap suit, technical equipment, electronic tracking camera, paying salaries of his staff and arranging for contracted cricket Australia players to "act" solely for a YouTube video promoting a motion capture session he had no intention of using in the actual game.

I'm not saying that mo-cap won't be in the game, I just worry about the extent. I cannot see how the England players' actions have been modelled. Again I hope that i'm proved wrong. The features just seem too vague

TemPSaad

Associate Captain
Lets get it clear , so far what is crystal clear is that its just the Aussies bowlers action which is in the game using the mocap data from BUPA NCA , even that is enough for me , anything thing additional i-e mocaps from English players (even if its only women) would be a bonus for me.

I am happy with the mocap stuff so far.

5/6 original bowling actions for fast /med fast bowlers and the same amount of generic actions is a + + deal for me. its like 10 per bowler types which is huge for me (again over optimism)

Biggs

This guy gets it
BGZ..
Profile Flag
New Zealand (Silver Fern)
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
There have been marketing videos of Maxwell and Smith in mo-cap, but I may be cynical to suggest they are just that - marketing.

I'm not saying that mo-cap won't be in the game

That's literally what you said.

I cannot see how the England players' actions have been modelled.

...why, because you've haven't seen a video showing it? You've already said you don't believe the video they've already posted literally showing players in mo-cap suits. Do not understand what, if any, point you're trying to make here is? Ross has been a member of the forum since 2012 and has never once lied about a feature, aspect or element in any of the previous cricket titles. You've been a member since Friday. That's all you really need to think about before suggesting otherwise.

Llewelynf

FRIEDLELE
SA.....
Profile Flag
South Africa
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
That's literally what you said.

...why, because you've haven't seen a video showing it? You've already said you don't believe the video they've already posted literally showing players in mo-cap suits. Do not understand what, if any, point you're trying to make here is? Ross has been a member of the forum since 2012 and has never once lied about a feature, aspect or element in any of the previous cricket titles. You've been a member since Friday. That's all you really need to think about before suggesting otherwise.
He's been a member since Thursday. Come on Biggs.

TemPSaad

Associate Captain
The reason for negative mocap feedback is because of the same old DBC14/17 bowling action which they used in the trailer , wow that was some poor marketing , if they wants to hide the new animations for now , they shouldn't have showed the old one either , instead just chop the clip when the bowl is about to release. that would be much better from a marketing point of view.

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
The reason for negative mocap feedback is because of the same old DBC14/17 bowling action which they used in the trailer , wow that was some poor marketing , if they wants to hide the new animations for now , they shouldn't have showed the old one either , instead just chop the clip when the bowl is about to release. that would be much better from a marketing point of view.
Do people who have never heard of or played DBC games care about the bowling action in the trailer?

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
there was so much jumping and smash cutting in the trailer I couldn't see any of the bowler's actions properly anyway[DOUBLEPOST=1508749203][/DOUBLEPOST]it was very: "well it's ashes so we're only gonna show tests but we're t20fy the shots as much as possible..."

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
there was so much jumping and smash cutting in the trailer I couldn't see any of the bowler's actions properly anyway[DOUBLEPOST=1508749203][/DOUBLEPOST]it was very: "well it's ashes so we're only gonna show tests but we're t20fy the shots as much as possible..."
I watched it again this morning and agree, like a lot of people I'd have liked to have seen some actual matchplay, over the bowlers arm, batting views. Stumps being clattered or some nice drives. Maybe we'll get a bit more of that before release.

Parcelmoose

Associate Cricketer
Profile Flag
England
He's been a member since Thursday. Come on Biggs.

So to have an opinion on a game I need to have been a member for how long? A month, a Year, a decade? I've followed these forums for years, just never has any reason to join and post.

In terms of the mo cap: what I mean is that a lot was made of the video, but the marketing for the game has not led with unique animations as a big feature. It has been a bit vague.

To clarify, I do not believe anyone is lying, just being slightly vague. Perhaps my choice of words was poor.

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
So to have an opinion on a game I need to have been a member for how long? A month, a Year, a decade? I've followed these forums for years, just never has any reason to join and post.

In terms of the mo cap: what I mean is that a lot was made of the video, but the marketing for the game has not led with unique animations as a big feature. It has been a bit vague.

To clarify, I do not believe anyone is lying, just being slightly vague. Perhaps my choice of words was poor.

I think it was a poor trailer. The editing made it impossible to make a judgment one way or the other on any mocap. I know as Ross has said the marketing isn't aimed at me but I question the logic of investing in a test based license to the extent that you don't show any non-test action, and then you cut it to look like IPL in whites. Who is it aimed at? Who is the audience that is attracted by the idea of "the ashes" but wants to play smash and bash in whites? Is it really that big?

I mean, the women's ashes incorporates odi & t20, could they not have showed some of that??

It was like it was cut by a coked-up film student after 1 hour of lectures on Michael Bay

Users who are viewing this thread