The PlanetCricket View: Why is Matt Wade still in the waiting line?

Article by baggy_blogger -

I have seen sufficient footage of Matt Wade to have drawn a good enough conclusion that he is a capable cricketer within the core aspects of his game, notably as a wicket keeper first.

His batting technique is admirable in the longer form of the game, willing to apply himself with a safeguard over his wicket, possesses patience and has the natural ability to attack when an aggressive approach is required for the team.</p> In many regards he is similar to his good mate Tim Paine.
Both are versatile batsmen within the batting order, they are more than capable at holding their own with the bat alone but most importantly they are highly skilled wicket keepers who can handle duties for Australia in all forms of the game at the elite level.
This is an invaluable gift for Australian cricket to have nurtured two very skilled blokes who also have age well on their side.

Tim Paine has experienced the elite level in all forms of the game and been used in different match situations. In limited overs he frequently held the top order spot while in the few Tests he played he was used as a middle order batsman, the common place for a Keeper in Test cricket in the modern era.

Unfortunately, Tim has been set back with a finger injury that has turned out to be far more serious than initially speculated. It has created a few issues.
Directly it has put immense pressure upon his own career I?d imagine after he?d really begun to bloom as a cricketer spoken of by the casual cricket followers. Other keepers have begun to move into the system, an issue a player like Mitchell Johnson is currently facing.
Tim has been noticed and was recognised as an Australian cricketer, importantly an Australian wicket keeper.
So far this injury has kept him out of cricket for 6 months.

During those 6 months Brad Haddin, Australia?s primary keeper, has lost confidence within his own game and it?s had a very unfortunate effect on all facets of his game.
His Keeper standards are definitely not where they have been previously in his career, indicating that his standards have indeed dropped.

That drop catch at the end of day 3 in the 2nd Test against India could be put down as just a drop catch, which happens to all cricketers and we?ve all put down catches.
The concern I have though is how badly Hads judged that catch, how he overcommitted himself.
It was a very big blunder and I am still baffled by it because an inform keeper surely won?t slip up that severely?

At 34 years of age with wicket keeping being such an instinctive position, once the reflexes and instinct starts to get away, as well as confidence leaks, it can be a problematic issue that is not easily resolved.
Adam Gilchrist
was one person who realised this having seen two seasons of a decrease in his standards and a slight loss for his love of the game, which I read about in his book ?True Colours?.

If Hads were to be dropped it would be unlikely he?d return to the Test side at his age with the younger prospects definitely in no doubt for ability or required skill sets.

Amongst the decline in his standards with the gloves and simple chances evidently and memorably slipping through, his batting has also seen a disheartening decline.
Hads is a bloke who is joy to watch when he plays his strokes as best as anyone in the game. Unfortunately he has repeatedly thrown his wicket away leaving supporters with a feeling that he shows little value for his wicket.
It often appears as careless and reckless and two recent incidents that continue to be mentioned in constructive articles I read are those of Newland?s and Hobart.

Hads waited a long time in line for the position but it?s hard to imagine, based on general keeper history I?m aware of, that Hads can drastically improve.
What I find odd is that there is a batch of blokes eager and capable in being introduced. This gradual process has occurred with Tim Paine and most recently with Matt Wade in Twenty20 cricket.

It seems though that the selectors are either giving Hads a full run for the summer knowing he is an experienced competitor and can come right for the remainder of the Border-Gavaskar series or they are giving him a fair run for before potentially changing the guard come the Windies tour.
I have been most impressed by our new selectors and trust they won?t continue with Hads if he doesn?t come right. This could also further damage his confidence, which already seems dented.

The persisting with Hads is also evidently and understandably due to Tim Paine being injured and it seems the selectors are hell bent on Tim being the guy to replace Hads.
This is all well and good but when there is a bloke like Matt Wade ready, in form and having proven himself a worthy candidate over the last year, why hold back?
Tim?s injury is a serious one and it could mean he is out still out a while longer which is also problematic given the season is half way through already.

I haven?t ever paid too much attention to Matt Wade?s statistics but I was fascinated to see statistically there isn?t much separating Tim and Matt. in certain areas, mostly pointing to what elevates a player to Test cricket.
It would seem that Matt is definitely a far more appealing front line candidate to take over the gloves man duties from Hads at this point in time, also based on current form and performances in State cricket.

Are the Sheffield Shield and State competitions a vital basis for selection now according to the Argus Review?
If it is the case then it looks like Matt Wade has ticked all the boxes.

Read the rest of the article here.

This article is brought to you by The Baggy Green Blog!
Thanks for reading this article written by Ian.
To comment on this article, click here.

More...

aayush93

Club Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
Maybe selector thinks he is not yet ready for test cricket or International. Australia last 2 WK made their Test debut pretty late.(Gilchrist (28) and Haddin (31) )
Gilchrist made his international debut at an age of 25.

So, Wade will be given more chance in limited overs cricket in next 12 months i think, if Paine is not fit.

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
The persisting with Hads is also evidently and understandably due to Tim Paine being injured and it seems the selectors are hell bent on Tim being the guy to replace Hads.
This is all well and good but when there is a bloke like Matt Wade ready, in form and having proven himself a worthy candidate over the last year, why hold back?
Tim?s injury is a serious one and it could mean he is out still out a while longer which is also problematic given the season is half way through already.

I haven?t ever paid too much attention to Matt Wade?s statistics but I was fascinated to see statistically there isn?t much separating Tim and Matt. in certain areas, mostly pointing to what elevates a player to Test cricket.

Nailed it right here. Reason Wade is still in line is because Paine is seen as the better long term prospect, and the selectors don't like chopping and changing keepers too often it seems. So when they pick a new one, they want to pick the one they like best, not a stopgap.

If Wade keeps playing well, then he may be able to change that perception and get himself rated alongside Paine, but Paine has the edge in a few areas: bit better gloveman than Wade, a potential captain and leader, and a fighting middle order player giving the lower order some steel, wheras Wade is more Haddin-esque.

War

Chairman of Selectors
Maybe its because i dont see sheild cricket in Australia. But based on what i've seen of Paine in international cricket, im not too sure where this "he is a future leader/test captain" talk has been derived from TBH.

Have never seen captaincy material in him.

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
Maybe its because i dont see sheild cricket in Australia. But based on what i've seen of Paine in international cricket, im not too sure where this "he is a future leader/test captain" talk has been derived from TBH.

Have never seen captaincy material in him.

Well it's pretty hard to 'see' it when he's hardly captained anything. I think it gets thrown up by his coaches from junior level and state level saying that he's a good leader in the dressing room and smart cricketer. Too lazy to find some quotes, but I've got no reason to doubt the supporters he has at this stage.

It's a very similar thing that happened to Cameron White. From what I remember his leadership was pumped up from a pretty young age and that got him some captaincy gigs and helped him make the Aussie side before he probably deserved. You can argue the same for Paine, but if Paine = Wade in ability, then the guy with leadership abilities is a good tiebreaker to have.

swacker

Chairman of Selectors
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
Haddin is too old and too poor to go on, with so many suitable candidates for replacement. However the hire suitable of these is quite clearly Paine. He's had more experience than all of the others put together and I think he has only gotten away with being average with the bat -averaging only 29 in one days- by being compared with a poor Haddin in the same period.

Matthew Wade (24)
50 First Class games at 40.16

Peter Nevill (26)
18 First Class games at 49.3

Wade and Nevill are both younger and more talented with the bat -not sure about Nevill as it's a bit hard to watch first class games- I actually think that Peter Nevill would be pretty great as a replacement for Haddin.

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
Well at least Haddin has retired from T20Is - Wade should get a run for those in a couple of weeks. After that it will be up to the selectors to see how long Haddin gets. I just hope Paine gets back soon, so that the decision is no longer delayed. At the moment it seems Haddin will keep going as long as Paine is unfit.

angryangy

ICC Chairman
Teams are just that conservative about picking a keeper. They had designated Paine, but his crippled finger has ruined a plan that would have covered most of a decade. I'm not going to presume to know precisely why Paine was favoured (I wouldn't rule out the marketing department's involvement), but if they move on, they want to be certain. Wade has pressed a case that he might be as good as either Haddin or Paine, but ideally the usurper stands out a bit more. There are better gloves; even Nevill is probably a better keeper and that's bad for Wade considering his fc batting stats are also good. However, like so many NSW players, Nevill remains a bit of a mystery in some ways because they have three keepers to share around.

So there are perhaps simply fewer questions as to who Wade is, without his story being close to the end. Although he hasn't bashed down the door with runs, he seems to be able to score in various conditions and also possesses the ability to play either carefully or belligerently.

What he really needs is what ushered the end for Ian Healy; an opportunity in ODIs. In one dayers Wade might easily be the standout option, but if he must score a lot of T20I runs in order to play a one dayer, then it might be a slow road.

swacker

Chairman of Selectors
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
With a dead rubber test coming up, it's the perfect time to drop Haddin and bring in his replacement. Wade is my preference but I don't know a lot about Nevill apart from the pure stats.

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
I don't agree at all. Unless you are definitely going to replace Haddin for the next series, I don't see any gain in trialling a guy for one Test. All that does is make Haddin doubt himself and gives Wade false hope and insane pressure on himself to perform in his one Test trial. I'd rather a decisive decision be made one way or the other, and Wade/Nevill get a full series to show what he can do.

Anyway, I don't think we're at that stage of dropping Haddin yet - because if he regains his form in the next month his spot won't be in question will it? Imagine Haddin making a 100 and a couple of 50s in the ODIs, and he'll be locked in til the Ashes 2013 I'd say. Seems most Aussie fans won't like that, because for some reason we all hate Haddin :p I think Haddin's just as talented a player as Wade, arguably more. So to me it's just a question of form - if he gets it back, lets keep him.

angryangy

ICC Chairman
Haddin's talented, but the way he seems to waste his talents and say stupid things isn't endearing. Fans love players who express character or cleverness almost as much as they like the big-time showmen and they definitely have more time for any of these than someone trying to be a showman and not living up to it.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
Haddin is done age has caught up with him and he's dropping 1 sitter per match even managed to carry that average into a 20 over match. They were never going to drop Haddin for this series but no matter what he does he should be sent packing. If either Wade or Nevill continue their Shield form then one of them should be a shoe in for the spot.

Users who are viewing this thread