Windows 8

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
They should have kept the desktop as per windows 7 and added metro as the whole purpose of w8 is having the best of both worlds not 1.5 worlds. 8.1 is a step in the right direction the old start menu would have been good but at least you can push start and have the option to see all your apps just like previous versions.

Chewie

BCCI President
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Welcome windows 8.1 preview. Looks pretty good so far, the changes are geared towards touch screen devices in particular redesign of the touch keyboard and ie11. Would have been good if they added the ability to multi window horizontal as well as vertically. And seems they got rid f 3 apps in multitasking from the beta as I can't do it.

Yea, I've recently adjusted my setup to have one monitor in portrait and multi-window horizontally would be very handy.

Happy that the Start Menu is coming back with Windows 8.1. I wish Microsoft allows people to use Windows like how it used to be before (which is, to boot straight into the Desktop and not into the Metro UI screen). Booting into the Desktop should be given as an option (which is what Windows 8.1 is doing; so happy), and users should be allowed to use it as a permanent option if they want to. That will tremendously increase Windows 8.1 selling power. Its like pleasing both worlds.

I installed Windows 8 in my parent's desktop, but after 2 months, I have now completely wiped it out and took them back to Windows 7. And now, they are happy. They hated W8. And even me, I am just so used to the classic desktop mode that I almost never use the Metro UI screen.

The start menu isn't coming back ftr, just the button

zeustrojanstark

Chairman of Selectors
Profile Flag
India
Is 8.1 a free upgrade (like a service pack) to windows 8 or a paid, new edition altogether?

It is a freeware,confirmed by Microsoft.Not sure about whether it will be available via Windows Update or seperate download.No need to reinstall windows,it will just add up something similar to a service pack.

MattW

Administrator
Admin
Big Ant
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Melbourne Stars
Profile Flag
Australia
Once the full thing is finished you'll just go into the Windows Store and press a button to upgrade. If you try the release preview you have to download an installer to enable the update and will need to refresh to install the final version (which means losing all your installed software).

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
Yea, I've recently adjusted my setup to have one monitor in portrait and multi-window horizontally would be very handy.

The start menu isn't coming back ftr, just the button

Oh.... I just read about that too. Crap! Microsoft is cheating people by trying to bring just the button back, but what people miss is the menu itself, not the button.

I just downloaded "Classic Shell" application, and its truly MIND BLOWING!! Brings back the start menu with the button, and it also lets you directly boot to desktop and avoids the Metro UI screen. So basically, I can stay with Windows 8 and use Classic Shell. Hope Classic Shell can work around Windows 8.1 and still continue to keep the classic start menu.

zeustrojanstark

Chairman of Selectors
Profile Flag
India
Oh.... I just read about that too. Crap! Microsoft is cheating people by trying to bring just the button back, but what people miss is the menu itself, not the button.

I just downloaded "Classic Shell" application, and its truly MIND BLOWING!! Brings back the start menu with the button, and it also lets you directly boot to desktop and avoids the Metro UI screen. So basically, I can stay with Windows 8 and use Classic Shell. Hope Classic Shell can work around Windows 8.1 and still continue to keep the classic start menu.

Whats your system configuration?And are you into IT?

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
Whats your system configuration?And are you into IT?

Have a Dell laptop with core i5 processor with 2.5ghz, 6gb RAM, Windows 8 Pro, etc.

I have been in the IT field for quite sometime, before moving to a part Business, part IT field of study.

sohum

Executive member
Profile Flag
India
I still don't understand the fascination with the Start Menu. I installed Windows 8 on my oooold laptop a while back and barely use Metro but I have absolutely not missed the Start Menu.

Do people really prefer to remember how to navigate through a hierarchy of apps versus just hitting the Windows key and typing in the name?

Chewie

BCCI President
Yea I don't miss the start menu at all, I do wish I had the boot to desktop option though

zeustrojanstark

Chairman of Selectors
Profile Flag
India
I like this Windows 8.I like the tiles UI too.I disliked it when it was new but i dont really find it tough as people find it.I am not inclined to get back the Start button and stuffs.

MattW

Administrator
Admin
Big Ant
Melbourne Stars
Profile Flag
Australia
Yea I don't miss the start menu at all, I do wish I had the boot to desktop option though
I don't miss booting to the desktop either - the first thing I do after logging into a computer is always running a program. The only thing I can think of that I miss is the occasional times I'm working on something and want to click the file on the desktop to open the app, but that's just one more click, compared to saving extra clicks opening up the old start menu on the desktop on 7.

Abhas

Retired Administrator
I'm not sure if it's an issue with me, or someone else has faced the same, but if I search using the Win+F (Using Metro UI), I get different results, and if I search in an explorer window (Using the top right search box), I get different results - better, and more comprehensive.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator

That's in Windows 8.1
You can change where the start button takes you to, so instead of seeing metro apps you can go straight to the all apps page so it's basically like the old start menu when you are looking for an app.

Users who are viewing this thread