Windows Phone 8

Bluehaze

Club Captain
Online Cricket Games Owned
Hi Everyone,

Thought I would get this thread up and running to see how many people actually use Windows Phone 8. It slowly seems to be building up a head of steam and becoming the third ecosystem, in terms of mobile operating system.

The latest update to the phone did not really bring that many big features. However, the GDR3 is meant to come with more updates which will affect the system a bit more. Most notibly, the notification side of the OS.

Why do i like this OS? It is simple, efficient and easy to use. I get what i need to get done with the minimum of fuss. The only downside is the lack of big apps, but this is slowly being rectified.

MattW

Administrator
Admin
Big Ant
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Melbourne Stars
Profile Flag
Australia
I switched to Windows Phone 8 a few months back with an HTC 8S and for the most part like it.

Every app I needed from Android had a WP equivalent in my case - even my bank has a WP app - so basically it was a tradeoff from having a little bit extra customisation against the really great performance at a low cost.

Part of my motivation was seeing the moves that Google were making against Microsoft - I don't care that they are doing it, they are competitors - but I use Windows every day for probably half the day. Things working with Windows is what I need and I saw Google making it harder, especially on Windows 8.

I particularly like the keyboard - it's far better than any touch keyboard I've used, and up there with the physical keyboards I prefer.

Everything syncing with Office/SkyDrive without any effort is great.

I'd like to disable the damn search button though!

Screenshot of my start screen attached. The 'Slate' looks nice with the Blue phone.

Attachments

• wp_ss_20130808_0002.png
    wp_ss_20130808_0002.png
    16.7 KB · Views: 45

Bluehaze

Club Captain
Online Cricket Games Owned
It does have it good and bad points. However, i think it is now establishing itself as the third ecosystem within the mobile OS market. Of course, it has a long way to catch up with IOS and Android, but i'm sure nothing is impossible.

I decided to get the WP7 platform first and really liked the simple interface. Speedy phone and i don't think it ever locked up. The only time it may have locked up was while using Whatsapp. Considering my original Lumia 800 was an single core device it handled everything thrown at it. Now that i have the Lumia 920 it is just wonderful to have all my email accounts, skydrive and office functionality on the go. The latter has been quite important when i have had no PC nearby. The only downside with my handset is the weight of it!

I would have liked the search button to incoporate a funtionality to search within your files i.e. contacts/pictures/audio. However, i guess without a proper file system manager it is not possible for the time being.

As for the keyboard, i agree with you. The keyboard on my Lumia is fantastic. The only thing that happens, which is quite funny, is when the autocorrect kicks in a little too well!

Being a Lumia owner i have access to plenty of Nokia's software which work really well. I like the Cobolt blue background but also change to the orange. I do wish i had purchased either the red or yellow handset. Mine happens to be black and a little bland!

Attachments

• wp_ss_20130905_0002.jpg
    wp_ss_20130905_0002.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 43

Users who are viewing this thread