World Cup or World Championship???

wicked_dude

Club Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
there is no difference between world cup and world championships...

icc doesnt want people to confuse wit 50 over world cup wit 20 over world cup ..so y there r calling it as twentyworld 20..a new title for the 20/20 format worldcup

some call its world championship and sum call as world cup...

media and all the cricket teams called this event as 20/20 world cup....

Last edited:

Will_NA

Chairman of Selectors
there is no difference between world cup and world championships...

But there is a difference between the 50-over World Cup and the ICC Champions Trophy...

icc doesnt want people to confuse wit 50 over world cup wit 20 over world..so y there r calling it as twenty world 20..

some call its world championship and sum call as world cup...

media and all the cricket teams called this event as 20/20 world cup....

But it's not called the World Cup. It's called the World Championships.

wicked_dude

Club Cricketer
yes...there is difference...i agree on that..thats y it is called icc champions trophy not world championship ...

King Cricket

International Coach
This tournament may not be a world cup. I dont even care. India are the World champions and thats the final thing
But why is that world champions guy continiously saying that the real world cup will be held in england in 2009???? The tournament which will be held in england is just a repetation of this tournament. And if this tournament is not a WC how can that be??????????????

Will_NA

Chairman of Selectors
yes...there is difference...i agree on that..thats y it is called icc champions trophy not world championship ...

and the World Championship is not called the World Cup. Glad we've sorted that

usy

Chairman of Selectors
If they're going to do this every 2 years (or 3 in WC years) they need to scrap the Champions Trophy. No one cares about it anymore anyway.

Champions Trophy is my favourite Tournament. It's better then World Cup and 20/20. It's the best more fun. I love the trophy aswell! :mad::mad::eek:

nobody can take that away from india.

:rolleyes: Nobody said they were going to.

Last edited:

Almost_Austwick

International Captain
What does the name matter? India come out on top after a tournament that comprised the top cricketing nations plus qualified associates.

They have the trophy and that, is surely, all that matters.

If you want to be pedantic then go with what the ICC (who sanctioned and organised the tournament) call it, which is the ICC World Twenty20 championship.

So India are world champions - case closed.

King Cricket

International Coach
What does the name matter? India come out on top after a tournament that comprised the top cricketing nations plus qualified associates.

They have the trophy and that, is surely, all that matters.

If you want to be pedantic then go with what the ICC (who sanctioned and organised the tournament) call it, which is the ICC World Twenty20 championship.

So India are world champions - case closed.

I agree with you.
But please tell that WORLD CHAMPIONS guy to shut up. He is making idiotic and silly comments about this matter
:mad::mad::mad::mad:

Last edited by a moderator:

sohum

Executive member
Profile Flag
India
But there is a difference between the 50-over World Cup and the ICC Champions Trophy...
Yeah... incredibly the ICC Champions Trophy sucks more than the World Cup. Scientists all over the world are trying to figure out this inconsistency.

Will_NA

Chairman of Selectors
ICC Champions Trophy - Carling Cup

ICC World Cup - FA Cup

Dunno why but it is

Almost_Austwick

International Captain
I agree with you.
But please tell that WORLD CHAMPIONS guy to shut up. He is making idiotic and silly comments about this matter

If he bothers you that match put him on ignore.

ICC Champions Trophy - Carling Cup

ICC World Cup - FA Cup

Dunno why but it is

I think you give the ICC Champions Trophy far too much credit, I'd say it's more akin to the FAW Premier Cup in terms of it's prestige and credibility.

Last edited:

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
I agree with you.

He's just pissed that the Aussies didnt get their hands on this trophy.

The ICC Champions Trophy became boring the day they scrapped the knock-out format.

I believe it first started off in 1998 wherein SA and WIN contested the Final.
The CT was earlier known as The Mini World Cup till 2001 Nairobi.
After that Malcolm Gay became the ICC Prez and changed the format and called it the ICC CT.
I agree,it is boring,esp the last verison where there was no need to play the round-robin for the qualifiers.

Cricketman

ICC Chairman
I'd say the current India vs Australia ODI series is bigger then the Champs trophy.

They should make a knock out T20/or even 5050 tourny every 2 years, and then the World Cup and a T20 WC every 4.

Users who are viewing this thread