Xbox 360 Kinect

ZexyZahid

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
The Xbox 360 Kinect is going to be launched soon and in this thread you can talk your experience about it. One negative point I find about the Kinect is that you can only play a game with two people at one time. Hopefully this kind can be sorted out in the near future with some new firmware.

Here you can see video's of the XBox 360 Kinect: Kinect Unboxing - GameSpot Video

Here is the Kinect Launch Center: Kinect - Introduction

Launch dates:

North America on November 4, 2010
Europe on November 10
Australia and New Zealand and Singapore on November 18
Japan on November 20

Kinect
Kinect - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

AngryPixel

Chairman of Selectors
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Few months ago,I saw a video of Bill Gates talking about possible uses of Kinect other than Xbox 360. Is there any news about Kinect's PC launch??

Last edited:

ZexyZahid

Chairman of Selectors
Not sure what other uses were talked about. But on a video I saw that you can use the Kinect as a webcam to talk to other people. You can play Kinect games against each other as well. Also with the Kinect you can watch videos on TV without the remote. At least, that's the meaning of it.

With possibilities outside of the XBox 360 I don't know of.

Chewie

BCCI President
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Few months ago,I saw a video of Bill Gates talking about possible uses of Kinect other than Xbox 360. Is there any news about Kinect's PC launch??

I wouldn't think people would have enough room near their computers to use kinect...

Overall I think kinect is a better idea than the PS Move, which is really just a copy of the wii.

AngryPixel

Chairman of Selectors
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Why not?? I have plenty of room near my PC. Just gotta move the chair and there's enough space.

Kinect could be huge hit if they sell it for pc too and some big titles support it. Apart from gaming it could be used in a variety of ways. Browsing,chatting etc.

If Adobe develop some software for Kinect then photoshopping could become fun. Imagine Zooming the image with left hand gestures and then cropping exactly what you need with your right hand. :eek:

Chewie

BCCI President
Why not?? I have plenty of room near my PC. Just gotta move the chair and there's enough space.

Kinect could be huge hit if they sell it for pc too and some big titles support it. Apart from gaming it could be used in a variety of ways. Browsing,chatting etc.

If Adobe develop some software for Kinect then photoshopping could become fun. Imagine Zooming the image with left hand gestures and then cropping exactly what you need with your right hand. :eek:

You must have a huge room. You need to stand something like 3 metres away from the camera for it to work properly, and computers are normally higher up off the ground than tvs so you'd have to stand even further back.

Those other features can basically be done on ordinary webcams. I wouldn't want to stand 3 metres away from my computer to browse. The screen is too small for one thing. It's a really stupid idea.

It works for tvs because they can't normally do those sort of things, and there is a lot of room, and you normally sit far away from the tv anyway. I can't see it working on the pc at all. I'd much rather use a mouse and keyboard to do that stuff that hand gestures.

thedon5

Panel of Selectors
I wouldn't think people would have enough room near their computers to use kinect...

Overall I think kinect is a better idea than the PS Move, which is really just a copy of the wii.

PS Move may be a copy of the Wii, but it is better in so many ways. I have played both and Move has much better tracking, not to mention the fact that it has better games (Heavy Rain, MAG, SOCOM 4 next year, Killzone 3 next year) and happens to be in HD and even certain 3D games, unlike Wii. So it steps up the Wii to the next level.

As for Kinect, I reckon it's definitely a good and unique idea. The whole "you are the controller" idea hasn't worked in the past, but it should work with the Kinect, as the technology has reached the stage where it will be a great device.

However, the thing is, the games for Kinect don't look too smooth and you definitely need something to hold. You'll look like an idiot while playing it too. It just can't work for games like shooters and racing games (at E3 they showed a Kinect racing game which looked terrible).

If they can get the games right for this, this sure would be a cracking device.

Chewie

BCCI President
I've heard the move's tracking is on par with the motion plus in the wii. Better games is debatable depending on what you like. The HD part though is definitely true though. I have a wii and I'm happy with it, I don't see the point in upgrading. And if I did buy a PS3 I wouldn't get move.

Thing with kinect is that you can hold anything you like. You don't have to hold the Move/Wii's controllers.

ZexyZahid

Chairman of Selectors
You must have a huge room. You need to stand something like 3 metres away from the camera for it to work properly, and computers are normally higher up off the ground than tvs so you'd have to stand even further back.

Those other features can basically be done on ordinary webcams. I wouldn't want to stand 3 metres away from my computer to browse. The screen is too small for one thing. It's a really stupid idea.

It works for tvs because they can't normally do those sort of things, and there is a lot of room, and you normally sit far away from the tv anyway. I can't see it working on the pc at all. I'd much rather use a mouse and keyboard to do that stuff that hand gestures.

I am reading this:

'The Kinect sensor has a practical ranging limit of 1.2?3.5 metres (3.9?11 ft) distance.'

Kinect - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So it could be possible to play on a PC monitor if Bill Gates meant to say that. Especially since monitors are now reaching 30 inch.

But at the moment I would say the main target is the normal TV audience who have a XBox 360, or will get a XBox 360, and who want to play games without a controller.

Also the big difference with XBox 360 and Wii is HD. And that's a big difference in TV quality; that's what I've seen in shops while comparing the two consoles.

thedon5

Panel of Selectors
I've heard the move's tracking is on par with the motion plus in the wii. Better games is debatable depending on what you like. The HD part though is definitely true though. I have a wii and I'm happy with it, I don't see the point in upgrading. And if I did buy a PS3 I wouldn't get move.

Thing with kinect is that you can hold anything you like. You don't have to hold the Move/Wii's controllers.

Wii Motion Plus isn't for all games as far as I know though. Wii has more party oriented games and Mario, so more casual games. Move has the intense shooters like SOCOM, MAG and Killzone 3.

But yeah, definitely don't buy a PS3 just for Move when you have a Wii already.

Chewie

BCCI President
Nah motion plus is only for a selection of games. I'd think that the wii would be more fun when you have friends over, but the move would be better for a single player experience.

thedon5

Panel of Selectors
Nah motion plus is only for a selection of games. I'd think that the wii would be more fun when you have friends over, but the move would be better for a single player experience.

Exactly, and I would think you would be playing single player a lot if you had a PS3. But the best games with friends are the sports game like FIFA or NBA.

Move still uses better technology than Motion Plus anyway so will be more accurate still.

sami ullah khan

Panel of Selectors
I will only be interested in Kinect if ever a cricket game comes out on it. Since BIGANT are already doing doing it for MOVE, I hope some other developer or BIN ANT will do the same for Kinect. :yes

Users who are viewing this thread