Younus Khan retires from International Twenty20 Cricket

Insomniac

Title Recipient
Online Cricket Games Owned
Breaking news from Younus's press conference. Effective immediately, he has retired from all T20 cricket.

I guess he really thought T20 was "fun cricket" and entertainment... he didn't want much to do with it in the future.

But thank you, Younus Khan, for what you've done for the country in this tournament.

Master Khan

National Board President
PAK...
Profile Flag
Pakistan
Why does Younis Khan want to retire form T20..who is gonna Captain us in the T20:(

Well Its a good way to retire from T20 but I really think he should think again.
Thank you for being great captain and winning us the T20 World Cup:happy

McLOVIN

Chairman of Selectors
LOL he stuck to it! stuck to what he believes. that should make those people shut up

Insomniac

Title Recipient
Why does Younis Khan want to retire form T20..who is gonna Captain us in the T20:(

Well Its a good way to retire from T20 but I really think he should think again.
Thank you for being great captain and winning us the T20 World Cup:happy
Only two men I can possibly think of.

Kamran Akmal and Shahid Afridi.

khan31

International Coach
Not that surprised by this news but take nothing away from Younus' performance during this tournament and his tactical decision making throughout (bar the SA semi final match). It was not long after making his comments on how T20 was "fun" like "WWF wrestling" and being unfairly criticised for this that he lost the smile and captained with true agression and demanded discipline from his players.

Afridi is the number one choice for the captain now. He leads by example with the bat, ball and in the field. Has anyone noticed how he is always encouraging/talking with bowlers as they walk back to their marks? Razzaq doesn't seem to put much effot in the field and this is relfected in his sluggish run up and reluctance to hit the deck hard. Akmal is not captain material and Malik has tried and failed. It seems only right that Afridi should be given a go and I would be especially pleased to see the captaincy passed on from one pathan brother to another fellow pathan. Now we just need to replace a few more of the current players for pukhtuns.

ZoraxDoom

Respected Legend
Boom Boom for skipper! Boom Boom for skipper!

Good on him. Great skipper, did a good job, can focus on real cricket now.

Fatal Shot

Club Cricketer
Afridi as captain? Ummm, no thanks. It will turn out like Flintoffs captaincy. He is an all rounder and already has so much responsibility. He is expected to take wickets, with a good economy rate. Now after these performances with the bat, people will expect him to score as well. Now you want him to take captaincy and lead the team. I think he will crumble under the stress. He plays much better, when he plays freely.

My choice would be Misbah. He is cool and collected. He has also shown that he handles pressure well in the test series against India, where it was India vs Misbah. He is also Vice Captain, and would be the obvious choice to lead the team in this format. He might also get a chance to bat.

Second choice would be Malik. I don't know why people are saying he failed as captain. He didn't do anything outstandingly wrong. He got Pakistan to the 2007 Twenty/20 Final didn"t he? He also leads the Stallions which have won each Twenty/20 competition in Pakistan. The players in Pakistan didn't follow his leadership for whatever reason. I thought he did a good job as captain, and I wouldn't mind giving him another chance.

Someone also said Akaml. While he is experienced, his spot in the team has been in question for almost his whole career. He has sort of cemented it now(again), but I like him at the top. Giving him captaincy would just complicate things in his game. I don't really want that to happen.

My third choice would be Razzaq. But I don't really see him as being Captain. He is a great cricketer, but I don't think he can lead a team at International Level. I would rather just have him concentrate on his game, and play his natural game, rather than put extra pressure on himself.

A mention goes out to Fawad Alam. He doesn't get to bat, or bowl. All he does is field. Might as well make him captain so he doesn't get bored! I'm just joking of course. I think Alam is a great player though, and should be moved up. He really is class. Would love to see him get more chances to showcase his talent.

ZoraxDoom

Respected Legend
You do know that Boom Boom already captains at a domestic level, and is a successful one at that? I remember reading somewhere that his team say he is a great leader and captain. He's always energetic on the field, and he's smarter tactically than he lets on. Take his batting out of the equation, and count him as a bowler, I think he'd do perfectly fine as a captain. Flintoff never captained domestically, and Afridi isn't one to wilt under pressure.

Next most sensible pick would be Misbah. He'd probably get it too.

Fatal Shot

Club Cricketer
Domestic Captaincy is much different from International Captaincy, so I wouldn't compare the two. Especially in Pakistans Domestic Circuit, which isn't the best out there.

Users who are viewing this thread