Your 3rd shot at redemption

Action22

School Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
Warning: The following my sound like a rant, but let me assure you. Im just a lifelong cricket gamer who has bought and unable to keep up with the changes/updates and frustrations of the previous DBC editions and their game engines

Ill try to keep it short. Recently I found an old version of Cricket 2004 and played it on my PC. Dont worry! I blew off the dust on the cd first. But isnt it a shame? That I even had to go there? Its easy to recognize, that games for most are not only a medium of fun, but a stress beater. While its unreal to expect sixes of every ball, well thats the reason isnt it. The fact that I cant do it in reality or the fact I dont see it on TV (unless AB is batting ofc) that I want to replicate it on a game with a Yuvraj Singh.

The previous editions of DBC, as said as I am to admit were far from a game. Being a console gamer who has purchased both versions and the EA, codemasters before and beyond....Even the Brian Lara game, as comical and unreal as it was, well why cant we have an un-real feature.

Let me give you a scenario, bowling good line and length and batting defensively to grow my players momentum in the game to be rewarded as real players do.....i.e wickets only if the batsman or game wishes the batsmen to be out and no part in my efforts or a simple edge/nick or lbw where you could have played an ideal shot with ideal timing with ideal footwork and still gotten out.

Isnt it enough? to have to be watching a competition that lasts 8 hours a day, only to try and change the events or beat some stress or just play a damn game without all the simulation wanna be aspects.

I am aware that there are those who are quite fond of the new changes, Im just suggesting a feature for us oldies where you --see the bowling marker, you get an arc with the batsman towards the direction you are aiming etc, you know back to the good/bad/lazy/rookie old days.

You dont believe me? scroll through your own forums and you will see the batting tips....play on the LEG SIDE exclusively! Really? Is this why I bought the game? to counter my own instincts because a glitch. Why cant we have best of both worlds! Ok maybe my knowledge is limited and 2 engines are not feasible/ possible! Can you add the above mentioned changes and glitches. Im sure Xbox and PS give you records of returning/recurring gamers! do you see a consistent line?

Unless you are Apple who promises a new design loaded with new features but ends up giving you the same pie every year! Despite your/BIG ANT team being successful! I wont be buying the new Ashes game unless MAJOR IMPROVEMENTS in the tactics following DBC are made.

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
Warning: The following my sound like a rant, but let me assure you. Im just a lifelong cricket gamer who has bought and unable to keep up with the changes/updates and frustrations of the previous DBC editions and their game engines

Ill try to keep it short. Recently I found an old version of Cricket 2004 and played it on my PC. Dont worry! I blew off the dust on the cd first. But isnt it a shame? That I even had to go there? Its easy to recognize, that games for most are not only a medium of fun, but a stress beater. While its unreal to expect sixes of every ball, well thats the reason isnt it. The fact that I cant do it in reality or the fact I dont see it on TV (unless AB is batting ofc) that I want to replicate it on a game with a Yuvraj Singh.

The previous editions of DBC, as said as I am to admit were far from a game. Being a console gamer who has purchased both versions and the EA, codemasters before and beyond....Even the Brian Lara game, as comical and unreal as it was, well why cant we have an un-real feature.

Let me give you a scenario, bowling good line and length and batting defensively to grow my players momentum in the game to be rewarded as real players do.....i.e wickets only if the batsman or game wishes the batsmen to be out and no part in my efforts or a simple edge/nick or lbw where you could have played an ideal shot with ideal timing with ideal footwork and still gotten out.

Isnt it enough? to have to be watching a competition that lasts 8 hours a day, only to try and change the events or beat some stress or just play a damn game without all the simulation wanna be aspects.

I am aware that there are those who are quite fond of the new changes, Im just suggesting a feature for us oldies where you --see the bowling marker, you get an arc with the batsman towards the direction you are aiming etc, you know back to the good/bad/lazy/rookie old days.

You dont believe me? scroll through your own forums and you will see the batting tips....play on the LEG SIDE exclusively! Really? Is this why I bought the game? to counter my own instincts because a glitch. Why cant we have best of both worlds! Ok maybe my knowledge is limited and 2 engines are not feasible/ possible! Can you add the above mentioned changes and glitches. Im sure Xbox and PS give you records of returning/recurring gamers! do you see a consistent line?

Unless you are Apple who promises a new design loaded with new features but ends up giving you the same pie every year! Despite your/BIG ANT team being successful! I wont be buying the new Ashes game unless MAJOR IMPROVEMENTS in the tactics following DBC are made.

I would strongly dispute, that on lower difficulties and shorter formats, and with the earlier length marker, you could not have the sort of relax session hit and giggle in dbc17.

I played tons of long form tests trying to match my own feeble ambition of an Athertonesque gritty Joburg 180*. I also played plenty of shorter matches when I wanted the less "simulation" aspect as you say.

Accessibility is fine. Pitch markers are stupid. If you play a zombie shootem up would you expect the game to tell you exactly where the zombie is gonna be in 2 seconds so you can start shooting now?

Also, it's either their 2nd shot at redemption (their first title can't be a redeemer), or like their 10th if you include patches.

bestfriendh

Club Captain
Keep playing Cricket 2004. Problem solved?
It almost seems like some people just do not want to embrace change. BigAnt has re-invented Cricket Games, and that is a good thing. We were served the same hogwash for the last decade (that too on a not too regular basis) until BigAnt stepped in. They truly have raised the bar on cricket games, even if their games are not perfect, they are still the best by a long hop.

D

Deleted member 46200

It almost seems like some people just do not want to embrace change. BigAnt has re-invented Cricket Games, and that is a good thing. We were served the same hogwash for the last decade (that too on a not too regular basis) until BigAnt stepped in. They truly have raised the bar on cricket games, even if their games are not perfect, they are still the best by a long hop.
I think the grumpy guy was being sarcastic but each to their own... I'll wait for the reviews to see what pans out surely DBC 17 is an improvement on Cricket 04 (I was only a child back then and trying to figure out how Barbie liked ken... The wonder) But I feel... No, he lost me half way through but let's see what this edition brings without starting threads.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 46200

Let's wait for trusted reviews first there maybe surprise in the air... ?

Biggs

This guy gets it
BGZ..
Profile Flag
New Zealand (Silver Fern)
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC

Action22

School Cricketer
So where were the meaningful arguments. Looks like all of you just pulled out the trump playbook of just yelling.

Not one comment on players primarily preferring the leg side to score runs. Not one player mentioning how you bowling for an hour to a good strategy only yields wickets if the simulation wants you to not because your bowling had any role.

As you can note all that was asked was the option to. Big ant did make big changes including the reverse batting angles. Do you also go to a bowling game and yell at people who use blazers/girders ?

Yes! Im weak, impatient and asking the devs to cater to my need to since all it seems is a toggle and not a whole gameplay mode.

Who and how can you explain the edges? I am totally fine with them being part of the game as it is a big big part in reality but to an ideal shot with ideal timing and ideal footwork?

To the zombie shooter comment? The more succesful zombies games do that. And the ones which cater to your stupid random strategy end up lost in the abyss like left 4 dead. Cod, easily most succesful multiplayer franchise. Stumble on any video and you will see the players develop a strategy to counter zombies from any angle. I dont see bullets being missed simply because they shot one side of its body. Even the zombie game invented the ray gun. Still waiting for a meaningful argument chumps.

Waiting for 1 debate-worthy argument from you fellas.....

Users who are viewing this thread