Your Favourite Game Designer/Programmer

Ritwik

co-founder
Who is/are your favourite game designers and programmers. The people that you "connect to" in a way since you've really enjoyed their games. Preferably should be someone that you know a bit about - not just any guy whose name rolls on the credits screen.

For me:

1. Jordan Mechner: Originator of the legendary and path-breaking Prince of Persia series. He was a technical wizard during his time, mixing fluid character movements, incredible action, puzzle solving elements into a tight-knit storyline with great characters. He actually dared to tell a story in the late 80's and early 90's - instead of just making a hack and slash computer game.
Also made the highly stylized and fun to play The Last Express.
Masterpieces: Prince of Persia 1; Prince of Persia: The Shadow and The Flame
Notable Contributions: : Karateka, The Last Express
Project I wish he was not involved with: Prince of Persia 3D

2. John Romero : A child prodigy, programming wizard, computer games lover and a dreamer to boot. Co-founder of id software (alongwith John Carmack, Tom Hall and Adrian Carmack - and here is the answer to my question in the computers/quiz thread). Was programmer and lead level designer for Wolf 3d, Doom1, Doom 2, Quake and the Commander Keen series amongst others. 'Greatest' project: Daikatana - he dreamed big but had to bite the dust. Creater of hundreds of games and also dabbles in comic book writing from time to time.
See http://www.johnromero.com for more.
Masterpieces: Doom, Doom 2, Quake.
Notable Contributions: Wolfenstein 3d, Dangerous Dave, Hyperspace Delivery Boy, Commander Keen
Project I wish he was never involved with : Daikatana and Ion Storm in general

3. John Carmack : The other John of id software. He is the technical wizard who comes up with id's revolutionary game engines - which have changed the contours of the game industry every time a new one is released. One of the greatest programmers in the world. Recently provoked outcry by saying that "I have perhaps just one more good engine left in me".
Masterpieces : Doom, Doom 2, Quake 1, 2 and 3
Notable Contributions: Wolfenstein 3D, Commander Keen
Project I wish he was never involved with : Probably Final Doom. But this guy doesn't really give you a chance to say that.

sid_19840

International Coach
Online Cricket Games Owned
My favourite is the only one I know personally:Paul Snell.True that some of the names mentioned above are true legeneds at programming and gaming.But I personally beleive that Paul is equally good.His determination to keep going at something even when those around him had given up hope is quite amazing.

gold639

International Coach
Online Cricket Games Owned
I'd say Tim Train and Graham Somers. Both of them were extremely influential in the development of games like RoN, RoL, and AoE3.

Users who are viewing this thread