NZ....
AFG...
KKR
Avengers
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox One
So we have two limited format with the 50 overs format is seeing some kind of fall in viewership. 300 legal deliveries bowled twice taking approximately 6 and half hours is something the crowd is no longer interested.

If you were given an opportunity to create a new format altogether be it be Limited or Unlimited overs what would it be?

Try using the format and add things that are missing

Type - Limited/Unlimited
Number Of Overs Per Day (if unlimited) -
Number of Innings per side -
Max # of Overs to be bowled for a Closure Of Innings? -
Innings Per Side -
Wickets Per Side -
Free Hit On No Ball - Yes/No
Bouncers Allowed Per Over -
Trail System(If Longer Format)

And add in any other things you want to add.

CerealKiller

Staff Member
Fantasy Cricket Team
PAK...
Kings XI
Islamabad
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Avengers
Profile Flag
Pakistan
Type - Limited
Max # of Overs to be bowled for a Closure Of Innings? - 10
Innings Per Side - 1
Wickets Per Side - 6
Free Hit On No Ball - Yes
Bouncers Allowed Per Over - 2

I'd use this for the Olympics.

Yash.

Staff Member
India
Ireland
ENG....
SRH...
QG
Melbourne Stars
X Rebels
Profile Flag
India
Type - Limited/Unlimited - Unlimited
Number Of Overs Per Day (if unlimited) - 100
Number of Innings per side - 1
Max # of Overs to be bowled for a Closure Of Innings? - -
Wickets Per Side - 10
Free Hit On No Ball - Yes/No - No
Bouncers Allowed Per Over - 3

This is the format me and my friends play. Really good one. Single Innings unlimited overs match.

ShamiLoverGlipGlops

The Man With The Glip Glops
India
NZ....
AFG...
KKR
Avengers
Type - Limited
Max # of Overs to be bowled for a Closure Of Innings? - 10
Innings Per Side - 1
Wickets Per Side - 6
Free Hit On No Ball - Yes
Bouncers Allowed Per Over - 2

I'd use this for the Olympics.
I like this format too and its ideal for Olympics. Doing some research work for my school I realized people are only comfortable sitting a max of 2 hours for a game. Also that time is reduced if there is excessive heat or cold. Cricket being an open sport with open stadiums will be adversely effected by both. Wha would your max player per side be? 11 or 6?

ShamiLoverGlipGlops

India
NZ....
AFG...
KKR
Avengers
Type - Limited/Unlimited - Unlimited
Number Of Overs Per Day (if unlimited) - 100
Number of Innings per side - 1
Max # of Overs to be bowled for a Closure Of Innings? - -
Wickets Per Side - 10
Free Hit On No Ball - Yes/No - No
Bouncers Allowed Per Over - 3

This is the format me and my friends play. Really good one. Single Innings unlimited overs match.
How many days will this last? This is 200 overs cricket from traditionally 450 overs. I do not see and mind reducing and losing 250 overs as long as batsman and bowler skills are tested. 100 overs is still twice the 50 over matches.

Yash.

Staff Member
India
Ireland
ENG....
SRH...
QG
Melbourne Stars
X Rebels
Profile Flag
India
How many days will this last? This is 200 overs cricket from traditionally 450 overs. I do not see and mind reducing and losing 250 overs as long as batsman and bowler skills are tested. 100 overs is still twice the 50 over matches.
5 days.

ShamiLoverGlipGlops

India
NZ....
AFG...
KKR
Avengers
Now that will be a tad too much for 200 overs of cricket. 40 overs of cricket per day huh? I do not see people coming in for that. I would say 3 days is enough. Also instead of a forced declaration at the end of 100 overs how about dividing equal time to both teams. Have a 4 day game with Team A has 2 days and Team B 2 days. If Team A rolls out in a day Team B now has more days to chase that down.

The only problem I see is the pitch just getting bad and Team B always having to play on much less batting friendly pitches.

Yash.

Staff Member
India
Ireland
ENG....
SRH...
QG
Melbourne Stars
X Rebels
Profile Flag
India
Now that will be a tad too much for 200 overs of cricket. 40 overs of cricket per day huh? I do not see people coming in for that. I would say 3 days is enough. Also instead of a forced declaration at the end of 100 overs how about dividing equal time to both teams. Have a 4 day game with Team A has 2 days and Team B 2 days. If Team A rolls out in a day Team B now has more days to chase that down.

The only problem I see is the pitch just getting bad and Team B always having to play on much less batting friendly pitches.
Its 100 overs per day. Not 100 overs per inning. Unlimited overs each inning.

ShamiLoverGlipGlops

India
NZ....
AFG...
KKR
Avengers
Its 100 overs per day. Not 100 overs per inning. Unlimited overs each inning.
Ok, fair enough. I would not elongate the test format from what it is. It will only loose more viewers.

Yash.

Staff Member
India
Ireland
ENG....
SRH...
QG
Melbourne Stars
X Rebels
Profile Flag
India
Ok, fair enough. I would not elongate the test format from what it is. It will only loose more viewers.
Im not making this for viewers. It is to test the cricketing skills. A sport is not just meant for views. It must be skill, or else it cant survive.

ShamiLoverGlipGlops

India
NZ....
AFG...
KKR
Avengers
Im not making this for viewers. It is to test the cricketing skills. A sport is not just meant for views. It must be skill, or else it cant survive.
Look where the domestic cricket for each country is at. People choose sports as a profession which means they are going to be playing any sports be it be as a life time profession. They need money, money only comes from views. IF there are no viewership and they do not make money the skill is of no use. So yes skill is important to survive your own professional life but with skill viewership is as important.

India just announced schedule and said NO to test cricket in NZ why? Its not about skill it never was its because they will not get viewership when Test is played in NZ in NZT.

ShamiLoverGlipGlops

India
NZ....
AFG...
KKR
Avengers
Also its just not about cricket. NFL which has tremendous viewership now would have competition from XFL, now why is XFL introduced? Because NFL is too long with breaks and timeouts. XFL wants to keep it to a max of 2 hours.

Now a days people have become more and more impatient. They just do not see themselves sitting 8-10 hours in a place, they want things that are quick. This is the only reason T20 gets so much attention. So if not 90 overs, 100 overs is a pretty bad idea for test format. 10 more overs a day means an almost added hour.

CerealKiller

Staff Member
Fantasy Cricket Team
PAK...
Kings XI
Islamabad
Avengers
Profile Flag
Pakistan
Also its just not about cricket. NFL which has tremendous viewership now would have competition from XFL, now why is XFL introduced? Because NFL is too long with breaks and timeouts. XFL wants to keep it to a max of 2 hours.

Now a days people have become more and more impatient. They just do not see themselves sitting 8-10 hours in a place, they want things that are quick. This is the only reason T20 gets so much attention. So if not 90 overs, 100 overs is a pretty bad idea for test format. 10 more overs a day means an almost added hour.
I think XFL also aims to capture the viewers unhappy with the NFL's handling of the Kaepernick/kneeling/Trump situation

ShamiLoverGlipGlops

India
NZ....
AFG...
KKR
Avengers
I think XFL also aims to capture the viewers unhappy with the NFL's handling of the Kaepernick/kneeling/Trump situation
That is an added advantage they are taking of the situation.

Yash.

Staff Member
India
Ireland
ENG....
SRH...
QG
Melbourne Stars
X Rebels
Profile Flag
India
@CricketQ20

If it was only for viewership, the cricket game would have scrapped bowlers till now. The crowd loves sixes, fours, big hits and high scoring matches. If we are doing everything for the crowd, this is what the game would become, as said by my friend Cerealkiller.

Don't get me wrong, nothing personal, but people who say that series such as the India-Australia one in 2013 or the England-NZ one last year were great really make me wonder about cricket's future. Perhaps in 100 years we'll have bowling machines who dish out full tosses every ball, while batsmen smash every ball for six.
And mind you, The Ind vs Aus 2013 one did gather really great viewership... http://www.indiantelevision.com/headlines/y2k13/nov/nov71.php

How much we may deny, its the sixes and high scoring matches that attract the people, not the wickets.

And why do I want a long and challenging format? To have something for the bowlers. T20 isnt for the bowlers. We saw in the Heera T10 League that it also isn’t. Aren’t bowlers a part of this game too? Don’t they deserve a format where they can express their talent. And belive me, as far as viewership is concerned, the game will get viewers even if tests are played. Take the SA vs Ind series for example. It had great viewership in the test series. Leave that, I went to see the final of this year’s Ranji trophy live in Indire. It had great attendence, with respect to the stands opened for the public. Two stands were open, and they were jam packed. And that too this was on the 3rd day. The 4th day attendence was even more.

And even T20s don’t assure viewers. Did you see the TransTasman tri series? It had very low attendence, in many matches as I saw in the highlights. (Not Taking the example of PSL as it is not being played in Pakistan atm)

At the end, its a sport and not a movie, that it should only run after viewership. We need to mantain the integrity and skill involved in playing the sport, or else, it will become a money minting business only.

Users who are viewing this thread