• Zaheer Khan

Votes: 30 56.6%
  • James Anderson

Votes: 23 43.4%

• Total voters

puddleduck

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
If you don't think Jimmy bowled well in the UAE and Sri Lanka and are merely using numbers to make your point then you're already coming from a position of false impartiality.

Pretty much the left and right handed version of each other as attacking swing bowlers, except that the rest of Zaheer's career doesn't really look like going in the same direction as Jimmys.

vorgaphe

Club Cricketer
Well if we look at what makes a bowler:
A: Anderson K: Khan
Average: A: 30.05 / K: 31.78
S/R: A: 57.2 / K: 58
5wi: A: 12 / K: 10
10wi: A: 1 / K:1
BBI: A: 7-43 / K:7-87
BBM: A: 11-71 / K: 10-149
Economy: A: 3.14 / K: 3.28
Wicket/Innings: A: 2.05 / K: 1.92

Anderson is a better test bowler in every aspect as he will take more wickets in fewer balls with a better economy rate. Also, had Anderson not been rushed into the test side before he was ready all these stats would be much better. On the other hand though Zaheer Khan is a much better ODI bowler and that is clear and there is no argument about that.

Last edited:

Sahil 7

Panel of Selectors
england play lot of test matches were as india don't 2 month of ipl and then in june there is no test match itself. and anderson bowl well in england pitches were there is a pace and swing .wickets in india are slow and made for spinners also in sub continent as well

War

Chairman of Selectors
Dude I said he did OK on the recent tour of UAE and Sri Lanka and but his OVERALL RECORD is still very average in s-continent.How can you not get that?

You are saying he was amazing in Sri Lanka and UAE?

He got 9 wickets in 3 matches in UAE and same wickets in 2 matches in Sri Lanka. He did good in Sri Lanka but again 9 wickets in 3 matches in UAE is not an awesome performance.

Why is his overall record in the sub-continent relevant? Anderson who bowled in the UAE and SRI this winter and the Anderson who bowled on previous s-continent trips are completely different bowlers.

vorgaphe

Club Cricketer
england play lot of test matches were as india don't 2 month of ipl and then in june there is no test match itself. and anderson bowl well in england pitches were there is a pace and swing .wickets in india are slow and made for spinners also in sub continent as well

That may true but as I have already said Anderson has had the (dis)advantage of bowling with a better pace attack meaning that he's had to share his wickets out. Despite he on average still takes more wickets than Zaheer per innings making him a much better bowler.

Last edited:

dajesmac

Club Captain
Over his career, Zaheer is obviously superior.

However Anderson would be streets ahead on current form. One of the best new ball bowlers in the world currently.

Phen

School Cricketer
Zaheer was/is certainly the better ODI bowler but on current form, I'd pick Jimmy over Zaheer any day in both formats probably. Zaheer has slowed in pace just a bit. ;)

Aalay

Panel of Selectors
Profile Flag
India
Well if we look at what makes a bowler:
A: Anderson K: Khan
Average: A: 30.05 / K: 31.78
S/R: A: 57.2 / K: 58
5wi: A: 12 / K: 10
10wi: A: 1 / K:1
BBI: A: 7-43 / K:7-87
BBM: A: 11-71 / K: 10-149
Economy: A: 3.14 / K: 3.28
Wicket/Innings: A: 2.05 / K: 1.92

Anderson has better stats because he bowl more on bowler friendly wickets but Zaheer bowls on the dead pitches of sub-continent and still has very good record.

Epic

Panel of Selectors
Toughie really, one is just starting to come into his own and the other is seemingly on his way out. Each one is better in their own way, Jimmy gets the nod for the Test format and Zak gets the nod for the One Day format.

Overall though, I'd have to say Zaheer Khan.

vorgaphe

Club Cricketer
I'd always choose Jimmy because I know I could rely on him to turn fit and ready to play . . .

S

Satan666

Both are overrated in my opinion. Obviously James Anderson is better, over the last couple years or so he has been consistent, in the past due to Jimmy's inconsistency Zaheer would've gotten the nod, also Anderson has to compete with world class bowlers like Broad and Swann to claim his wickets over the past 2 years, while Zaheer has to carry a weak Indian attack it makes it easy for him to get wickets. Consistency is one but also Jimmy is a more attacking bowler than Zaheer by far.

The underlying factor why most members will tend to go with Jimmy is also due to his fitness, far better than the fragile Zaheer, but we shouldnt blame Zaheer for this for a long time he has had to carry the fast bowling forth on his back for the weak Indian bowling arsenal, his workload is definitely too much, and if it is not decreased soon he may not be able to play cricket again.

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
also Anderson has to compete with world class bowlers like Broad and Swann to claim his wickets over the past 2 years, while Zaheer has to carry a weak Indian attack it makes it easy for him to get wickets. Consistency is one but also Jimmy is a more attacking bowler than Zaheer by far.

You can use that argument a number of ways though. You could argue it's harder for Zaheer since he has no support so all batsmen have to do is see him off and then they can make hay vs the lesser bowlers. It's the old Richard Hadlee vs Malcolm Marshall argument or Murali vs Warne. One in a team of stars, the other the only star in their team.

Addy

National Board President
Jimmy, Zaheer & even Gul, all of 'em are of the same rank, I reckon.

StinkyBoHoon

National Board President
regarding support, india with zaheer are a better bowling unit with him in the team.

with him in the team compared to without him the win loss ratio jumps from 1.33 to 1.52 and the wicket average from 37.5 to 35.3 both in his favour. (over his playing reign)

that's not a massive jump, and it could be coincidence, but I don't think it is from observing india. in the last 5 years, so including their reign as number 1 and their downfall without him they are 40 per wicket but with him they are at 37. I think that counts in his favour, the talismanic quality he lends to the team.

over jimmy's career england are 32.5 with him and 32.5 without. again could be coincidence but i don't think it is.

the one thing though is that deliveries like zaheer's knuckle ball and all that only come with real experience so the comparison can't really be definitive until they've hung up their er... whatever. zaheer owes his status to how he integrated intelligence and guile into his game, jimmy's had 2 years or so of being a quality player and still has the oppertunity to do that.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread