Zorax needs a Laptop...

ZoraxDoom

Respected Legend
Online Cricket Games Owned
Alright, my needs have changed.

I'm getting a new Laptop for college, so this one is just going to be four 2 years.

Therefore, I want something very simple.

I've decided that I'll sacrifice the gaming aspect of it as I really should be focusing on my studies.

So what I'm looking for now is something around 80-100 GB, 512 - 1 GB of RAM, and a processor of around 1.5 GHz (Dual core would eb nice). Price range up to 1,500-2000 Dirhams (15,000-20,000 rupees, 410-545 USD, 215-285 GBP).

Sureshot

Executive member
Games like FIFA, ICC, Sim City. ICC and Sim City run okay on Intel, but FIFA will be a bit of a problem I guess.
EDIT: Also TAOC and Counter Strike. Both should work on Intel.

Dual Core is good, yup. Excellent laptop this. The sites great too, I'm gonna browse a bit more...

Oh, and is it possible to install another graphics card into a laptop, or are you stuck with the standard one?

ZoraxDoom added 19 Minutes and 13 Seconds later...

http://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/Toshiba_Satellite_A200-244_PSAE6E-0E702YEN/version.asp

This is pretty decent too.

Graphics - ATI Mobility Radeon HD 2400 - 128 MB

200 GB Harddisk, 2 GB RAM, Duel Core processor, smaller than the Asus - 1.66. Smaller screen. Same price...

I used laptopsdirect when I brought my Acer laptop. Very good service. Often have 'deals' on laptops too. I think you might be a little too optimistic by hoping that it will last 6 years. It might last that long. But it is going to be completely out of date gaming wise in six years. Would still work for 'college work'. Though that depends on what college work is. If it would need drawing programmes, like say, AutoCAD. You will struggle.

ZoraxDoom

Respected Legend
Yea, my sister and her husband told me the same thing.

So, after discussion with parents and family, I'm getting the Toshiba one I found earlier, or maybe another one similar to that. If it becomes of no use halfway through college, I'll get a new one.

Thanks for the help everyone.

Cricketman

ICC Chairman
Acer laptops really aren't the best. Their monitors are awesome however.

This one, for around $720 is awesome.

* Bright 15.4-inch LCD stylishly accented with an onyx blue metallic LCD cover
* 1.6 GHz Intel Pentium T2330 dual-core processor, 160 GB hard drive, 2 GB RAM (4 GB max), dual-layer DVD drive
* 54g Wi-Fi (802.11b/g); 10/100 Ethernet; Intel GMA X3100 graphics (up to 251 MB of available memory)
* Connectivity: 2 USB, 1 VGA, 1 headphone, 1 microphone, 1 ExpressCard 34/54
* Pre-installed with Windows Vista Home Premium (with Media Center capabilities)

http://www.amazon.com/Toshiba-Satel...?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1220400632&sr=8-11

ZoraxDoom

Respected Legend
My first post from my brand spanking new laptop! w00t!

It's an HP Pavillion dv6000. A last minute change after we realised that a 14 inch monitor is a bit too small.

160 GB HDD, 2 Ghz Dual Core, 15 inch screen, 256 dedicated graphics car, and lots of cool little extras. Was a bit of a hassle initially, had it for 5 days so far, had to get everything installed and updated, get rid of Norton, get the internet working, but it's all done now. Running smooth. Just need to upgrade our net speed, so that both computers can use it at once without much lag, transfer any last minute data and set the password for the network connection, and I'm all set! :D

SciD

Chairman of Selectors
Smart buy but 14" are more preferred laptops. But my HP is also 15" :p

Magz

Club Cricketer
Avoid Dells, they are unreliable and their customer service=Fail.

sohum

Executive member
Profile Flag
India
Speaking of laptops, I'm expecting my HP dv5z to be delivered in 2 days. Got lots of discounts, both academic and labor-day week. First time I'm going with an AMD processor (Turion). Also the IGP is supposed to be able to match the performance of many separate graphics cards, so I'm definitely excited!

angryangy

ICC Chairman
http://www.notebookcheck.net/
Excellent site, I would think almost every laptop ever is in there somewhere.

In terms of laptop graphics, it's best to take an all-or-nothing approach. A lot of low end solutions will cost extra, but deliver no practical benefits. If you don't want graphics power, you want to avoid them all. Mobile technology is always more expensive and it could cost you hundreds of dollars you can spend better. It's best to do your research. Try the graphics section on notebookcheck, it will give you a lot of info and you can start to decode what the model numbers actually indicate.

Users who are viewing this thread