Don Bradman Cricket 17 First Impressions Thread

sami ullah khan

Panel of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
After the first bit of play and impression, I have played the game extensively over the last two days. I played casual ODIS on custom difficulty.
I tried hitting the deadzone but couldn't even with all the suggested button combinations. So I just reconciled with the fact that there is no cover drive and fine leg glance in the game.
The rest of shots are well done I must say except for the ugly half cut of the front foot and ability to cut Yorkers to point. This shot is possible irl but not this often. However cutting yorkers for six is not possible on earth, moon or Mars. That shot needs to go. What I really liked is the back foot square cut. It has proper animations with bat going over the left shoulder for right hander. Too bad it only goes into one director though.
Drives that are there are really well done. I specifically like the straight drive. It is definitely the best version of the shot in any game I have played.
Glances through leg can be reassessed and that pull shot of the front foot is very annoying. It further limits the already very limited legside play. Pull.and hook are well done but I really can't tell if my RS movement determines the direction of the pull/Hook. It seems way too scripted.
Batting is enjoyable even with all these limitations though. I struggled to get over 200 as I kept losing wickets. Taking singles is too easy. You can just drop the ball to onside (for a right arm bowler) and sneak a single. Also I don't think edging is possible if you block. Even tailender can block everything if I choose to. Blocking should also have some risk.
AI fielders especially bowlers dive around too much. That needs to be toned down along with unnecessary throws. AI bowlers bowl too many extras, wides specially.
Bowling was fun but it is too easy to bowl one length all the time. There is thankfully a wide variety of dismissals from edges to lbw. I enjoyed bowling a lot more than I did in DBC 14. AI batted well and was taking situation of the match into context most of times which is a first in cricket game.
I still maintain there is a gem of a game under all of this and we will get to play it soon enough.

Michael Gower

Club Cricketer
Profile Flag
England
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
:lol
Bhuvneshwar Kumar in at no.3? Top order batsman eh?
I know yeah when i was doing line ups I must of pressed wrong button or something didn't realise till I'd started any consulation he was a bugger to get out :lol

zayno

Club Captain
Now with patch 2 installed. My general view is that it is a very good cricket game. there is a few things that need to be worked.

Cover drives should go in more than one direction and the square drive should replace that front foot cut shot. the don bradman cricket 14 had a good square drive. Make it easy to cut spinners as i am having trouble with that. and last is to bring back that fielding one camera option in the running camera angles like don bradman cricket had. that was the best running camera option.

If these are worked on then I can say i have not had so much fun with a cricket game than this with don bradman cricket 17.the most brilliant idea is the custom batting and bowling as well as the universal sliders that we can customize. this is a great addition to dbc 17 and works well.

francisjery

International Coach
I am not sure whether I am the only one facing this problem. Whenever, I try to play a backfoot cut short towards the deep third man, batsman is playing a short towards midwicket. But I am able to play front foot cut short towards deep third man.

The_Pharoah

International Coach
I am not sure whether I am the only one facing this problem. Whenever, I try to play a backfoot cut short towards the deep third man, batsman is playing a short towards midwicket. But I am able to play front foot cut short towards deep third man.

might just be you. I've only ever played a late cut to third man but it was down to timing than anything else (back foot square cut). The backfoot square cut does work on short fast bowling. The animation looks ok. The low square cut looks horrible. I wish they bring back the animation from DB14 which looked like you actually put some effort into the shot.

sami ullah khan

Panel of Selectors
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
It happened to me quite often. It happens due to the fact that we tend to move the RS stick to 11 O clock to make sure we play really fine. For some odd reason the game reads this as a legside flick. There is a late cut to third man but it is very tricky to get which should not be the case for a bread and butter shot in cricket.
I have seen AI playing authentic cover drives more than once. It means this shot is there. Why we can't play is a mystery even to the developers it seems.

D

Deleted member 149013

I have been called 'guy' and 'dude' too often have to readdress the balance.
Hmm readdress the balance, well I like the sound of that. Really don’t mind shaking the stupid tree either, you know a few will fall out. Anyways, hi nice to meet you. Really, really happy, I’m not alone anymore was really getting sick of it, you know. Btw, please excuse me if this message looks a bit cuckoo, the alcohol is out lol. Just gotta be shitfaced by the end of the night so my apologies. Yes! Should of definitely posted tomorrow but this is huge news. You have to stay now, hope you do.

Matt, hey you please, please, please can I have some sexual chocolate? PMSL. Go on, it’s still the season to be jolly. I don’t know, will send you socks or something….hmm or a tie perhaps? You’re not getting my half eaten box of chocolates, no!.

DBC 17 on its way too, something cricket related. Before the topic monster shows up. :)

prasoonvidhu

Associate Cricketer
Profile Flag
India
It happened to me quite often. It happens due to the fact that we tend to move the RS stick to 11 O clock to make sure we play really fine. For some odd reason the game reads this as a legside flick. There is a late cut to third man but it is very tricky to get which should not be the case for a bread and butter shot in cricket.
I have seen AI playing authentic cover drives more than once. It means this shot is there. Why we can't play is a mystery even to the developers it seems.

Yes, AI can play shots which we can't. Yesterday, I was playing T20 between India and Australia, AI played a very fine leg glance for a boundary. I couldn't save the video as I don't know how to.. :facepalm:facepalm

KingsPunjabIsaac

Club Captain
Profile Flag
England
First Impressions of this game are that it is very broken, and incredibly difficult to play. I think i'm gunna leave it until they release a patch in the near future hopefully, addressing all the problems with the game. A real shame to say this, but Big Ant really have no excuses.

Redfive

School Cricketer
After failing to persuade the missus to let me have it before Xmas, I've now had a couple of days playing it and really enjoying so far. Haven't really explored bowling yet but initial thoughts:

Earlier length marker is a game changer. No more premeditation and much more rewarding batting experience.

Edges and wickets I've given away seem more authentic (and deserved for my mistakes) compared to the at time random feeling edges in '14.

Feels like you have to play balls on merit more. In '14 I could pull balls from outside off stump etc, but now if I play the wrong shot for the line/length I'm in trouble or at least not scoring.

The ability to 'tip and run' with the new precision shots, now much easier to rotate the strike etc.

Finally, to the guys who've spent so many hours creating the kits, bats, teams and stadia. When called up to Surrey in my career and strode out to bat in my first one dayer against Sussex at Arundel - wow! Thanks for making the game that much more immersive.

GetAroundHim

School Cricketer
I've really been enjoying it so far, and after reading a lot of the critisms here I'm left wondering if I even have the same game? I haven't experienced a single crash, I'm having no trouble hitting cover drives, and my fielders rarely dive unnecessarily.

Bowling is great fun with the edges being fixed. One of my career modes is as a fast bowler, and it feels so good when the off cutter catches the edge and files to second slip. So long as they catch it that is... Feels like you can set a batsmen up with a plan too which is great. Batting is tough, but not unnecessarily so. The game rewards patience, and if you premeditate your shots or look to slog everything then you probably aren't going be as successful as you could be.

The glitch in career mode where you have to simulate to get your attributes to increase is annoying, but only because I want to play every game!

Definitely an improvement on DBC14, and as they have in the past BigAnt will listen, get the patches done and smooth the whole experience out over time.

Alberts

International Coach
I've really been enjoying it so far, and after reading a lot of the critisms here I'm left wondering if I even have the same game? I haven't experienced a single crash, I'm having no trouble hitting cover drives, and my fielders rarely dive unnecessarily.

Bowling is great fun with the edges being fixed. One of my career modes is as a fast bowler, and it feels so good when the off cutter catches the edge and files to second slip. So long as they catch it that is... Feels like you can set a batsmen up with a plan too which is great. Batting is tough, but not unnecessarily so. The game rewards patience, and if you premeditate your shots or look to slog everything then you probably aren't going be as successful as you could be.

The glitch in career mode where you have to simulate to get your attributes to increase is annoying, but only because I want to play every game!

Definitely an improvement on DBC14, and as they have in the past BigAnt will listen, get the patches done and smooth the whole experience out over time.

The game itself is a lot of fun, but there are a few issues the need work at this time. Hype and early release teething issues don't really get along though, it's a new game after a successful first game in the series, any issues will have amplified reactions. A lot of the crashing was due to issues from the original release version and the academy, if you have only played since after the second patch, it's likely you've not see these.

There are a good number of positives in the design decisions, the game is showing a lot of potential, but there are equally a lot of concerns, and valid ones at that, about issues in game. Whilst you note what you call a cover drive, what you're probably doing is a more standard offdrive that's a bit straighter, there is a well known issue with proper cover drives. Equally, there exists an issue where length has been set as a too accurate with bowlers, making it too easy to hit your lengths time and time again. The fielding issues are also understandable. Beyond that there are numerous issues they're working out with the academy, as well as career mode bugs as you've encountered.

Given time I'm the issues will be sorted, and we'll have a game that is considerably better than DBC 14, but there are understandable concerns at this time.

Users who are viewing this thread