Ashes Cricket 2013 announced

Status
Not open for further replies.

savvart

Associate Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
I am happy to see the back of Codemasters. They seemed more interested in how much they could take us for than developing or supporting a great game or community.

They told a few fibs too...

fk915

Club Cricketer
Unbelievable ... I wouldn't keep my hope high until I see some screen shots or more details. I remember seeing too many unfinished products that never released like Cricket 09, Trine Cricket, Cricket life etc ...

Good luck to dev team. I hope they keep it short & sweet. And no point of starting from scratches specially when you already have base Ashes 09 & 10. Just fix it and try to get more licenses ... That always work for EA (FIFA, NFL etc)

D

Dutch

But they are the same developers, so it shouldn't be problem when they know what they are doing.

But they will not be able to have a game that looks like a previous version if Codemaster owns the rights. Everything will have to be done again I imagine. I get the feeling that the starting from scratch is not out of luxury but necessity. However lets remain positive and at least we know they can make a decent game and they have a lot of experience now to draw upon.

Biggs

This guy gets it
BGZ..
Profile Flag
New Zealand (Silver Fern)
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
But they will not be able to have a game that looks like a previous version if Codemaster owns the rights. Everything will have to be done again I imagine.

Isn't Codemasters/Trickstar essentially similar people under a different name? I could be wrong, I'm only going on what I've read here and there. Either way, I'm sure then can use existing (and past) games as inspiration for ideas. Given C09/IC10 are almost 3 year old games and how fast stuff in gaming technology progresses, I doubt there's not much they would/could have re-used from those games anyway?

Last edited:
D

Dutch

Codemasters are the publishers and therefor the rights owners to a game. They put up the money to develop and bring the game out. They own the final product and can do with it whatever they want. We saw that with Cricket 09 from EA. EA decided they wernt going to publish it and that was that. The studio developing it worked for EA on the game and couldnt just go off and ask another publisher to produce it. They would first have to buy the rights from the publisher before being able to do that. Thats my perception on how it generally works. Anyone have more insight, then feel free.

Aravind.

ICC Board Member
India
Mumbai Indians
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Finally the wait is over.Looking forward to it,hope it will be an success not disappointment :) :cheers

P

pcfan123

At last we're going to have a new cricket game.

I'm off the same mentality. I'm just glad there is going to be a cricket game and will end up buying it regardless of how crap it is.

This is why we get screwed over, because there is no competition and whatever half assed product is put on the market will sell.

D

Dutch

I'm off the same mentality. I'm just glad there is going to be a cricket game and will end up buying it regardless of how crap it is.

This is why we get screwed over, because there is no competition and whatever half assed product is put on the market will sell.

I think we are probably all a bit in that camp. I know I will buy it. But I do have a good feeling about this one and the interaction so far here and on the game publishers forum does give reason te believe that these guys are really genuine in their wish to develop a game that gives cricket fans something playable. Whether they can implement everything we would like is of course an utopia and anyway the very nature of utopia is that each person has their own version of it. I get the feeling this game is going to go a long way down that long road to getting there though....

Chief

Panel of Selectors
Props to PC on stealing the big scoop on this by the way: was up here a few minutes even before industry stalwarts revealed it! :)

SCOOPED!.jpg

Biggs

This guy gets it
BGZ..
Profile Flag
New Zealand (Silver Fern)
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
...we do kinda rule :p

Allrounder18

Banned
Let me sum what I have understand.
-AC13 will be a brand new game with all new match engine/animations/physics.
-Not even a single thing will be imported from IC2010 or previous codies games.

Is that true or I am living in utopia?

D

Dutch

Let me sum what I have understand.
-AC13 will be a brand new game with all new match engine/animations/physics.
-Not even a single thing will be imported from IC2010 or previous codies games.

Is that true or I am living in utopia?

That is the jist of it. As I see it Codies own the rights to the previous games. Nothing will be able to be used from those other games as it would infringe copyright. Even though the developers are the same they do not have the publishing rights. Ergo the game must be made from scratch. Whether it is a good thing remains to be seen as you could imagine IC2010 forming a decent foundation to develop further on. Now the foundation has to be built again. I personally have the gut feeling that this is going to go a very
long way down the track of being a brilliant game of cricket.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread