DBC14 | Full Game Play with BARS Video

balkeet

International Coach
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
The thing is we were over imagining and were expecting the game to be super realistic due to the massive hype Ross has created but at least Ross has always been honest and straight forward with us and didn't make any false promise or give us wrong interpretations when answering our question , but 2 things I will not agree with him ,the bowling action could have been much much better (even cric 04 had decent one and Taoc has possibly the best one ever) a $79 tag for PC version , seriously after watching the. video it clicked in my mind that no way on earth this game worth 79 bucks , and I was literally started saving for this game , hopefully this notion will change in future after watching more videos :)

The bowling action is like that because it is user control driven, it's not pre determined like every other cricket game we had till date. As you would have read the bowling controls earlier we decide the time of jump of bowler and the release of ball along with the type of delivery so the bowling action won't be like earlier cricket games.

Fe98

County Cricketer
Not so much "licensing" as it has to do with being different enough from the real review system that BigAnt don't get lawyers knocking on their door.

I actually prefer it without the batsman because it's irrelevant that he's super-imposed over the image anyway, since it's all about whether the ball would hit the stumps or not.

That's what I meant by "licensing". Poor choice of words I guess.

BigAntStudios

@Ross
Big Ant
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
One thing I haven't seen mentioned (in this thread as well as in the old one) is the fact that during the Hawkeye (whatever it's called in the game) replay the batsman is not shown. At the point of impact there's the pop showing that the impact is in fact in line, but the fact that the batsman isn't there kinda takes away a bit from it.

Hope that makes sense. I'm guess this was done intentionally because if licensing issues?

It's pretty easy to leave the model on the pitch, which we did initially, it just looked better without him there.

shak91

School Cricketer
I dont understand people whining about little things most of which were due the pre-programming the situation and getting the created player in that bars situation. People need to be thankful to bigant who are finally giving us a fabulous game of cricket especially at a time when nobody is ready to invest in cricket gaming or atleast making trickstar a tough time and more...thanks again ross!

raza439

School Cricketer
It's pretty easy to leave the model on the pitch, which we did initially, it just looked better without him there.

Hi Ross. A quick question:

The pitch of the ball in the video is inside the off stump so the video shows pitch "in line" with a green mark. What would happen if the ball had pitched outside off stump? Of course, the batsman would be out, and should still be given out. Would BARS still say pitch "in line" in that case?

madman981

Club Captain
I can see why people are negative towards the video, it looks pretty darn good to me

Cant wait to get my hands on this, looking forward to visiting the play sessions in swanston street

Im going to be there 100% as long as its not a saturday, then i will be screwed!

BigAntStudios

@Ross
Big Ant
The thing is we were over imagining and were expecting the game to be super realistic due to the massive hype Ross has created but at least Ross has always been honest and straight forward with us and didn't make any false promise or give us wrong interpretations when answering our question , but 2 things I will not agree with him ,the bowling action could have been much much better (even cric 04 had decent one and Taoc has possibly the best one ever) a $79 tag for PC version , seriously after watching the. video it clicked in my mind that no way on earth this game worth 79 bucks , and I was literally started saving for this game , hopefully this notion will change in future after watching more videos :)

Isn't it great though that you have been given enough information and visuals so as to make an informed choice?

I can't deliver what you have imagined, I can deliver the best Cricket game to date by what I beleive is a reasonable margin. I have repeatably pointed out that this is not FIFA, not Madden, we do not have that budget.

----------

I can see why people are negative towards the video, it looks pretty darn good to me

Cant wait to get my hands on this, looking forward to visiting the play sessions in swanston street

Im going to be there 100% as long as its not a saturday, then i will be screwed!

It won't be a Saturday.

Dabi

Club Captain
Isn't it great though that you have been given enough information and visuals so as to make an informed choice?

I can't deliver what you have imagined, I can deliver the best Cricket game to date by what I beleive is a reasonable margin. I have repeatably pointed out that this is not FIFA, not Madden, we do not have that budget.

----------

It won't be a Saturday.

Ross, I stated in the previous thread that to me the bowling action once the bowler is at the crease just seems wrong. It does not seem natural, especially for someone who's bowling round the wicket.
In my humble opinion, previous games have done it better. My point is not to argue about whether this game will be better than the previous ones or not. I hope it will be and despite my reservations about your game, I still believe it will be one of the better cricket games that we have played.

My question is whether you are personally satisfied with the bowling action as depicted in the video you posted or is there any chance that it can be amended to make it more realistic at this stage of development?

BigAntStudios

@Ross
Big Ant
I am happy with the bowling animation as unlike the previous games it is interactive and not a pre-baked animation.

Everyone needs to compare apples with apples, we are talking the difference between an interactive experience and Dragons Lair (looks amazing and is 30 years old but was not "interactive").

Last edited:

St0ney

Club Captain
I loved the video game looks awesome, some people just expect far to much. For a first attempt it's way better than anything trickster have ever done.

Dabi

Club Captain
I am happy with the bowling animation as unlike the previous games it is interactive and not a pre-baked animation.

Everyone needs to compare apples with apples, we are talking the difference between an interactive experience and Dragons Lair (looks amazing and is 30 years old).

Point taken, though in theory if the player controlling the bowler does everything correctly in terms of pressing all the buttons and moving the left and right analog sticks at the right time, shouldn't the bowling action replicate movements of how actual bowlers deliver the ball?

I understand that the bowling action may "look wrong" if the user moves the input controls late / early but if everything is done correctly, will it be better than the one shown or this is how it would more or less look in the final build of the game?

Last edited:

BigAntStudios

@Ross
Big Ant
Point taken, though in theory if the player controlling the bowler does everything correctly in terms of pressing all the buttons and moving the left and right analog sticks at the right time, shouldn't the bowling action replicate movements of hwo actual bowlers deliver the ball?

I understand that the bowling action may "look wrong" if the user moves the input controls late / early but if everything is done correctly, will it be better than the one shown or this is how it would more or less look in the final build of the game?

No, because we need to leave the door open for them to get it wrong.

We know how to animate, check the animation on the referral scene - we could easily play a great bowling animation if we made you set the line and length prior to the delivery stride starting.

I am going to be blunt - this is not aimed at anyone in particular - These are technical issues and unless you are an animator or have made an interactive application then the ability to grasp these concepts may be too difficult. Anyone that compares pre-baked animation and talks of the fluidity of previous games has missed the point and lost their argument before they even began it. Play Dragon's Lair, it's animation is flawless and perfect.

OzAshie

School Cricketer
Not sure if it has been mentioned or not (couldn't see it in the thread), but with the review, if the pitch is inline, the impact in line and hitting the wickets - shouldn't they all be red rather than green? The green would indicate it is in the batsman's favour (ie impact not in line then it's green, impact in line then it should be red)

I know a minor complaint, but one I am assuming that will be fixed in the final product?? :)

BigAntStudios

@Ross
Big Ant
It did get mentioned, but perhaps deleted, our BARS (Big Ant Review System) is not remotely the same as DRS, they are totally different as we do not have the license for DRS.

sahilnatu

Club Captain
Not sure if it has been mentioned or not (couldn't see it in the thread), but with the review, if the pitch is inline, the impact in line and hitting the wickets - shouldn't they all be red rather than green? The green would indicate it is in the batsman's favour (ie impact not in line then it's green, impact in line then it should be red)

I know a minor complaint, but one I am assuming that will be fixed in the final product?? :)

It isn't the official DRS, is it? They had to make some things differ in their version of DRS (that is BARS) in order to avoid license infringements.

Edit: Duh. Ross is quicker than me! :p

Users who are viewing this thread