England tour of South Africa 09/10

Themer

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
On the same note, he is not a great captain either.

Maybe not great but a very good one in my opinion. You have to remember the circumstances in which he became captain and how well he has gelled the team from the events of last winter.

Howsie

Chairman of Selectors
Hah, man this cracks me up. The West Indies beat England 1-0 last year and apparently they're lucky and were no where near the best team. England pretty much does the exact same thing in South Africa (hanging on in two games) and all of a sudden it's a good thing?

stefan

International Coach
Well done to the boys in squaring the series. Had they been more clinical it should be 3-1 but well done to england and collingwood in particular they fought really well through out the series. Really happy with in partucular morkel he seems to finally be showing his potential. Along with Steyn only bowlers who averaged under 23 in the series, not going to include parnel in that since he bowled too few overs.

We have question marks over the opener to partner smith and the spinner for the tour to india. Dumniy has some things to work on but will keep his place same as ab and kallis did when they wen through their struggles.

MasterBlaster76

ICC Chairman
KP fails again, Colly grits it out and the Sherminator chokes when the real pressure is on. No big surprises here, Im just glad we managed to level the series, we should have lost 3-1

'The Sherminator' didn't choke when we needed him in the last drawn game, did he? Get off his back.

As to KP, he needs to have a good look at himself. As others have said, he's not good at playing the situation. Also, I don't know why people are calling for Trott to go - he made a century on debut vs the Aussies, did he not? This time round, he had a bad series, but the potential is clearly there.

Last edited:

Themer

Chairman of Selectors
As to KP, he needs to have a good look at himself. As others have said, he's not good at playing the situation. Also, I don't know why people are calling for Trott to go - he made a century on debut vs the Aussies, did he not? This time round, he had a bad series, but the potential is clearly there.

Why are people overreacting to KP's form? He has had one bad series the same as Trott and yet Trott is allowed to have a bad series and KP not?

KP averaged 46 before his injury in the last year which although it is lower than his overall test average it isn't poor. So looking at it he has had one poor series on the back of a serious injury.

If he is still struggling like this come Pakistan at home next year then yes he should have a hard look at himself but not quite yet.

drainpipe32

Chairman of Selectors
The thing is, to have your No.3 and No.4 slump at the same time is a recipe for disaster.

Valaskjalf

Club Captain
I wouldnt be too worried about Pietersen if I was an England supporter. The problem is when you are a fantastic talent like him and end up becoming the "go-to guy" who people always depend on, even a good average of 46 becomes too little and people tend to become greedy and expect more and more.

His form slump was gonna come at SOME point, I dont think any batsman in the game has gone through a career without a slump - and if it didnt happen during the SA tour it would have happened some other time. Pretty sure he will be back to his best sooner rather than later. Hopefully, for England's sake, before the Ashes.

Regarding Trott - Anyone feel that he might have tried a bit too hard to perform in front of his ex-home nation? I have a feeling he might have put too much pressure on himself in a way.

P

pcfan123

TBH who is really calling for Pietersen or Trotts removal? England still walked away the happier team. i was expecting a drubbing on this tour and we almost got one 3-1. Lucky to walk away 1-1 in our toughest assignment till the next Ashes.

Bangladesh - Pakistan - Bangladesh - Ashes up next .

So plenty of time and easy opposition for KP, Trott and Straussy to get back in form

Fatal Shot

Club Cricketer
Still not having found a spinner with the Indian series coming up, is frightening.

No spinner
What to do with Prince?
What to do with Duminy?

Right now we're pretty happy, but we have to quickly asses these problems.

Positives are also here though.

Smith is back in top form, for first time since Australian tour really.
Kallis back in top form, and healthy.
Morkel is finally delivering all his promise. Should pose a lethal partnership with Steyn.
Boucher isn't going anywhere. He was flawless behind the stumps, and his knocks were invaluable.
Now that Morkel is somewhat developed we can focus more on our spin problems, as well as develop Parnell.

I was thinking to myself about the opening pair problem, and I came up with a possible way to fix it. Smith and Amla batted extremely well together. They had two century plus stands in the series, and seem to enjoy being together at the crease. We could move Amla to opener, and move Kallis/De Villiers to one down. That would open up a space at five, which would mean that Prince could go back to the middle order, where he is comfortable, with Duminy at six behind him. It's a possible solution, if they plan to keep Prince in the team. Amla faced the new ball this series anyways, as the opening pair was horrible, and he came in very early throughout. It could work out pretty good, but Amla has made that one down position his own really, with some splendid performances with the bat.

Robelinda

International Coach
SA are in an interesting position, failing to win at home two seasons in a row, that must be worrying for them, you have to dominate at home and they havent beaten Aus or Eng in SA for a long time.

Fatal Shot

Club Cricketer
SA are in an interesting position, failing to win at home two seasons in a row, that must be worrying for them, you have to dominate at home and they havent beaten Aus or Eng in SA for a long time.

That's being a bit harsh, as we play them in SA about every three years or so, sometimes even longer, so it's not like we are getting many chances at it either. But we have been a very good home side. Other than that series against Australia, we haven't been beat for a while at home.

Last edited:

Robelinda

International Coach
I dunno, obviously they havent beaten Aus in SA since readmission, but then they lost to England in 04/05, and failed to win now in 09/10, including Aus thats 5 home series since 2002 they havent won.

Fatal Shot

Club Cricketer
We really should have won this series... Atleast 2-1, but hey we kept the trophy, so we'll take it. Since that series loss to England, we have beaten India, West Indies and Sri Lanka at home, and lost to Australia. Not too bad. We don't seem to have too many home series's though. India should be coming here, but they don't like to go outside of those flat decks.

Users who are viewing this thread