• No!! It should never be added

Votes: 52 21.1%
  • Maybe, or should be added and optional

Votes: 89 36.2%

• Total voters

silentwitness

School Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
We thought the pitch marker was a basic thing in cricket games and it's a huge improvement now it's gone. Forget everything about previous cricket games and play this one. At least give the new patched system a chance.

im not at all that happy that the pitch maker is gone(should be an option to turn it off or on) i love batting but this game is just soo diff in career mode its just not fun.

ChinamanSpin

International Coach
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
im not at all that happy that the pitch maker is gone(should be an option to turn it off or on) i love batting but this game is just soo diff in career mode its just not fun.

Then turn off your console, grab your keyboard and play Cricket 07. The pitch marker goes against everything Big Ant are trying to do.

79cricket

Panel of Selectors
I agree with both sides here, it's game so yes a option for field radar(3 seconds before bowlers run up and not on legend difficulty) would be fine with me but let's see how it feels after the first patch before Bigant go down the radar path. PS Pitch marker no way in hell.

silentwitness

School Cricketer
Then turn off your console, grab your keyboard and play Cricket 07. The pitch marker goes against everything Big Ant are trying to do.

I don't see the point in arguing over trivial things So I'm Not Going to bother. it's personal preference nobody asked if you liked it or Not I don't care much that the pitch maker is gone but fielding radar is a basic thing that's required.

79cricket

Panel of Selectors
I don't see the point in arguing over trivial things So I'm Not Going to bother. it's personal preference nobody asked if you liked it or Not I don't care much that the pitch maker is gone but fielding radar is a basic thing that's required.

I feel anyone how has played the game for a week will say pitch marker gone forever with a smile but field radar has been not a success as maybe Bigant would have hoped. I do not need one as i am ok how it is after the patch is released but many others are not so maybe Bigant will be forced into it kicking and screaming.

Last edited:

Biggs

This guy gets it
BGZ..
Profile Flag
New Zealand (Silver Fern)
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
I don't get how the same people who are asking for ball markers and red circles to be turned off bceause "their not realistikz" are complaining about not having a radar sitting in the left hand corner hand-holding them all the time... Of all the things the game has got right, I think the replication of the experience of batting and finding the gaps is 99.9% perfect. You don't ALWAYS know where the fielders are in a real game. You have to keep checking and remember things...

I've never played a game of cricket yet where the opposition captian walks up to you and goes...

"Hey mate, you're hitting a lot of balls through extra cover, just to let you know I'm going to put Bill there to stop that, do you know Bill? There he is... BILL, BILL... WAVE YOUR HANDS... right, so there go. There's Bill... don't hit it there. I can ask him to wear a bright yellow jacket if you need it..."

79cricket

Panel of Selectors
Very funny stuff Biggs, like i said before i don't care either way but if enough people don't like it then a on or off for a few seconds radar is fine with me.

Biggs

This guy gets it
BGZ..
Profile Flag
New Zealand (Silver Fern)
The thing is, that's missing the point of developing a game that's different to what has come before. It's like saying "Well, I'm making a next generation First Person shooter, but not everyone likes those so I'll give those people a third person option"

...bit of an exaggeration, but you get the idea. The point is, BigAnt are coming at the Cricket Game Franchise with a bunch of new toys, ideas and presentation concepts for us to experience. It's not about then giving us a whole bunch of back-ended ways to make it like all the other cricket games of the past.

If that happened in other games, we'd all still be playing side scrollers.

It's about evolving, if you can't play without a pitch marker or a radar then start at the lowest difficulty and work your way up to getting used to it. People are shoving it on "PRO" or "Legend" because of ego and a couple of games later, whinging about how hard it is. Learn. Evolve. Embrace the challenge.

79cricket

Panel of Selectors
I do understand and you are not wrong Biggs but in the end is it the end of the world if it becomes a option in the future.

skiptotheend

School Cricketer
The thing is, that's missing the point of developing a game that's different to what has come before. It's like saying "Well, I'm making a next generation First Person shooter, but not everyone likes those so I'll give those people a third person option"

...bit of an exaggeration, but you get the idea. The point is, BigAnt are coming at the Cricket Game Franchise with a bunch of new toys, ideas and presentation concepts for us to experience. It's not about then giving us a whole bunch of back-ended ways to make it like all the other cricket games of the past.

If that happened in other games, we'd all still be playing side scrollers.

It's about evolving, if you can't play without a pitch marker or a radar then start at the lowest difficulty and work your way up to getting used to it. People are shoving it on "PRO" or "Legend" because of ego and a couple of games later, whinging about how hard it is. Learn. Evolve. Embrace the challenge.

TGGI. :thumbs

abhi_jacko

National Board President
India
RCB...
Profile Flag
India
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
You don't ALWAYS know where the fielders are in a real game. You have to keep checking and remember things...

True.

But the issue (at least for me) is not about remembering where the fielders are. The issue is not being able to see if there is a player standing at the boundary or not. I almost go blind trying to squint through the other colors on the screen to ensure there is no deep midwicket.

Apparently the patch, with the field position marker, is supposed to fix that. So fingers crossed

ThandaMilk

Club Captain
I think the question, "Should there be a radar?" is flawed, and misleading. It presents a radar as the only, or the preferred, solution to an underlying problem statement. Takes the focus away from the issue at heart, of which there are a couple:

• Inability to see players clearly, especially boundary riders
  • The inability to see the field setting without having to actively "look around"
  • The inability to know which specific players are in which specific positions
  • The loss of "vision" for a period of time if the ball isn't played in the "V"

The proposed solution of a "position bubble/marker" in its current avatar solves the first issue, to an extent. Here are a few additional suggestions that, hopefully, while respecting the design philosophy offer meaningful ways to address the core issues.

• Instead of the position names it could be better to have player names as labels. Once I am able to see the fielder (which is what the label helps do), I can see (visually) what position they are in, so the position name doesn't really mean much to me. Would actually reveal more to me to know whether a particular player (say Ponting) is at point or riding the boundary. If we think the position labels actually help, there's a fundamental depth perception issue to think about.
  • We already have a solution for a quick view of the field built into the system: The field editor map that is available to the bowler. What if, in addition to or in lieu of having to look around to determine the field, I was able to pull up the field setting screen? Press L3 to view; similar to how you're able to view bowler stats/confidence on R3. Its not a radar, just an existing screen made available at the right context (on field change) to the right person (batsman).
  • The 4th issue seems hardest to resolve but is still possible to achieve without a radar. Am sure some of it can be improved with the camera movement but at some point am sure its a balancing act between showing us more vs. moving too quick. There's a half-baked "peripheral vision" coming into effect type idea I have in which shadows/silhouettes of the players closest to where the ball has been hit (or who are responding to the ball in their direction) are activated, but that's what it is at this point - half baked.

Big Ant have done a fantastic job of setting up a base upon which many a great cricket game will be built. There are some clear bugs (run outs, erroneous dismissals etc.) that am sure will be ironed out via a patch or two. The above however are design decisions that impact gameplay. I respect the decision to avoid typical on-screen HUD. Via this post I'd like to be the voice of those that believe the experience can be improved while respecting the design philosophy.

"Give me a radar" does disservice to the real feedback that should be conveyed: you've made some fantastic design choices but there are issues. Here they are, and we trust you to make improvements in this iteration (patch) or the next that address them while staying true to the simulation roots of this franchise.

Frostyvegi

Club Captain
I said the hard and fast NO! on the poll, but realisticly I'd be happy with the 'optional' option, if it makes others happy. Of course, I'm only content with how it is right now (even without any additional indicator) because I bat maybe a dozen balls every innings in career mode. If I was a batsman out there for hours, it might be a different story.

Snowy

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
Australia
As 70% seem to agree that we need a radar, and thats just people from this forum. I guarantee that theres hundreds/thousands of people going to play this at home (that don't access forums) and just curse the studio for not having a radar! It should at least be an optional thing even if it only appears for a few seconds before bowler run up.

Please don't do statistical analysis for a living.

Users who are viewing this thread