• No!! It should never be added

Votes: 52 21.1%
  • Maybe, or should be added and optional

Votes: 89 36.2%

• Total voters

79cricket

Panel of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
The game let's us custom so much in the game so i will say it for the last time, if Bigant put a radar in then cool as many customers want it but if you want to play without that's fine also. Win and Win i say.:clap

zombieian

International Coach
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
not every one is going to play on pro cam. and i havn't got the game but the pro cam was pretty good i didnt notice tunnel vision effect. that could also be due to the nets on either side confining you, check it out on the full game.

I'm not saying play on Pro cam. I saying that the view from the Batsman's eyes, when you view the field, is the same as the Pro cam view, which gives a distorted view making the fields seem further away then they actually are.
If you go to the nets, play the bowler from the 'close batsman' view and then from the 'Pro camera' view. Even though, in effect, the cameras are only a couple of metres apart in these two views, the bowling machine looks about twice as far away.

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
I said the hard and fast NO! on the poll, but realisticly I'd be happy with the 'optional' option, if it makes others happy. Of course, I'm only content with how it is right now (even without any additional indicator) because I bat maybe a dozen balls every innings in career mode. If I was a batsman out there for hours, it might be a different story.

i'm a no simply because i think there are more elegant solutions that fit the general design philosophy better than the radar.

i recognise the "boundary riders" issue as a problem, definitely, it can be hard to spot them and frustrating to hit where you think there's a gap but not... i just don't think the radar is the solution to that.

zombieian

International Coach
Am I correct in assuming that some of the England batsman have trouble seeing where the fielders are too? :eek: Art imitating life?
I don't think seeing the fielders would be much of a problem if the Batsman's eyes view was improved slightly.

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
A couple of points to note:

1) Those who are against the radar because "there's no such thing in real life" - Unless you are playing with no HUD (including ball trail, circles around the ball), no scores/speed readings, commentary off in 1st person mode all while sporting a hangover and sprinting 22 yards every time your batsman takes a run - your argument is invalid.

i've raised the point previously, that removing the ball hud makes the game less realistic, not more since you're without any visual clue of length as you don't have in-game depth perception.

i am fine with a solution to make spotting fielders, especially boundary ones, a bit easier. i don't think a radar is the answer. the proposed solution is a good compromise - it still requires you to "look", but makes looking/spotting easier.

at least try the new solution when the patch is out, then see how you feel.

grkrama

National Board President
If you go to the nets, play the bowler from the 'close batsman' view and then from the 'Pro camera' view. Even though, in effect, the cameras are only a couple of metres apart in these two views, the bowling machine looks about twice as far away.
i dont notice it in such a exaggerated way as you are saying, its obviously the depth of field you are getting with the rise in height of cam compared to the close cam.

----------

i've raised the point previously, that removing the ball hud makes the game less realistic, not more since you're without any visual clue of length as you don't have in-game depth perception.
actually i have found it easy to pick length in nets without any huds, it varies with the individual i think how good they are at picking the length.I have been able to do that always as long as i dont premeditate.

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
I'm loath to comment on the fielding radar thing - the 'but you could turn it off' argument suffices for just about any suggested change, so leaves little room for a discussion. Quite obviously, having an optional field radar (not that it'd ever be mandatory) would make some people happy and have no impact on those of us who don't want/need it.

if it was the only solution, it would have an impact on those who find the current system difficult to spot fielders but think a radar isn't the solution they want (i.e. me.)

the proposed patch lets people see the fielders - if they care to look.

zombieian

International Coach
i dont notice it in such a exaggerated way as you are saying, its obviously the depth of field you are getting with the rise in height of cam compared to the close cam.

----------

actually i have found it easy to pick length in nets without any huds, it varies with the individual i think how good they are at picking the length.I have been able to do that always as long as i dont premeditate.

Go back into the nets and see how far away the bowling machine looks in Pro cam compared to Close cam.:yes
If there is this difference over 22 yards it's no wonder you can't see the fielders 50 or more yards away.:yes

grkrama

National Board President
Go back into the nets and see how far away the bowling machine looks in Pro cam compared to Close cam.
obviously there is going to be difference, its not just 2 meters diff between cam like you say its a 3d plane and its a cam even a slight angle change will have a totally different feel and look, from what i have seen it captures the feel pretty well.
think of it as 3rd person vs first person you are always going to get more depth with first person, you are after all a small being in a huge stadium i think it captures it well and it looks very realistic as far as i have seen from the nets are the few vids available.

zombieian

International Coach
obviously there is going to be difference, its not just 2 meters diff between cam like you say its a 3d plane and its a cam even a slight angle change will have a totally different feel and look, from what i have seen it captures the feel pretty well.
think of it as 3rd person vs first person you are always going to get more depth with first person, you are after all a small being in a huge stadium i think it captures it well and it looks very realistic as far as i have seen from the nets are the few vids available.

I know all that. I'm just saying that if the view from the Batsman's eyes, when you viewed the fielders in the game, was similar to that of the Close cam view there 'might' not be a problem seeing the fielders.
Put another way, the vanishing point in Pro cam view is too acute in my opinion making the boundary fielders appear much too small.

Last edited:

St0ney

Club Captain
Why not just have the trigger button zoom to an overhead view of the field to see field settings then u can zoom back into the action no problem simples.:yes

zombieian

International Coach
Why not just have the trigger button zoom to an overhead view of the field to see field settings then u can zoom back into the action no problem simples.:yes

Personally I have no objections to people having their 'sacred' fielding radar but if BigAnt keep the game without one, being able to actually see the fielders using a slightly adjusted 'through the eyes cam' might be the way to go rather than having a label above the fielder's heads.
What say you @Ross

Last edited:

thevicky

Club Captain
@MattW - I'm happy for any radar to give an approximation of where the fielders are. I don't need to know exactly where cover is but would like to see at a glance if there IS a man at cover (without switching perspective)

@blockerdave - I'm absolutely willing to give the new system a chance. My fear is that it won't resolve two issues - the fact that having to look around needlessly slows down gameplay and the fact that the bowler sometimes runs in before you have a chance to look around (which would never happen irl)

Anyway, I've said my piece on the subject (and then some) and will try stay silent until the patch(es)

#inrosswetrust

Last edited:

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
@MattW - I'm happy for any radar to give an approximation of where the fielders are. I don't need to know exactly where cover is but would like to see at a glance if there IS a man at cover (without switching perspective)

@blockerdave - I'm absolutely willing to give the new system a chance. My fear is that it won't resolve two issues - the fact that having to look around needlessly slows down gameplay and the fact that the bowler sometimes runs in before you have a chance to look around (which would never happen irl)

Anyway, I've said my piece on the subject (and then some) and will try stay silent until the patch(es)

#inrosswetrust

if people are worried about slow gameplay i think they need to ask themselves a more fundamental question about why they like cricket ;):lol

Users who are viewing this thread