• No!! It should never be added

Votes: 52 21.1%
  • Maybe, or should be added and optional

Votes: 89 36.2%

• Total voters

thevicky

Club Captain
Online Cricket Games Owned
Some frankly ludicrous reasoning being used by those arguing against there being the Option of a radar available to players.

For the record, I selected option 3 in the poll on the basis that while I would like to be able to use the radar myself I recognise that other's may not want it.

A couple of points to note:

1) Those who are against the radar because "there's no such thing in real life" - Unless you are playing with no HUD (including ball trail, circles around the ball), no scores/speed readings, commentary off in 1st person mode all while sporting a hangover and sprinting 22 yards every time your batsman takes a run - your argument is invalid.

2) Those who are worried that having a radar wil let you simply aim a wedge at the gaps (a la AC09/IC10)(raised by both @Biggs and @MattW in his otherwise excellent review. I feel this fear is unfonded as I just don't think there's a risk of that happening in this game for 2 reasons:

i) The mechanics of the control scheme itself mitigates against this happening as you're not playing point and click cricket - the game does not allow you to pre-aim the shot direction (and see where you are aiming through HUD feedback) and then press a button to send the ball in that direction

ii) Even if you are good enough to be able to send the ball in a particular direction by premeditating based on the radar (kudos); the fact of the matter is that in those older games all you had to do was aim at the gap and time the button press. WIth all the variables in DBC14 (line, length, movement pace, footwork, pitch etc) all actually having an impact on the ball means that any such attempt is now a genuine risk vs reward proposition even if you know exactly where the fielders are, as is trying to manufacture a shot into a gap when the ball is not there.

Lord Sajjad

Club Cricketer
Having a radar for 3-4 seconds before the start of the runup will help very much. It will also ensure that we don't see the field during a shot.

Slugger

Club Cricketer
@thevicky i actually find some of your points quite valid, especially regarding the inability in this game to just aim a wedge. You can't. You make a good point, however i truly don't believe you will see a radar in this iteration. Will Bigant include an optional radar in future games? Possibly. I don't really care whether there is one or not.

In real life, i find myself playing the same shot whether there is a fielder there or not. How many time have i been caught at deep fine leg playing a hook when there are 2 men there?

174 is the answer.

Radar or not, really no biggie IMO

phil1987

Club Captain
Who needs a radar, seriously!!

-I bat and bowl on legendary difficulty,
-Bowl with no hud
-Bat without length & direction circle around the ball

I also want this game to get more and more complicated too so no one buys Don Bradman Cricket 15/16 except for the people in this forum.

Now for all the realistic and reasonable people out there. Fielding Radars have been in cricket games since i started playing cricket 2002 on PS2 and you had the option to turn them off or keep them on since when was is it such a bad thing to have the option of a field radar.

On top of that it's much different trying to T off into gaps when there is no pitch marker

Personally i do not mind not having a radar but i can totally understand those that want it in the game.

Why mess or remove basic aspects of cricket games that were not an issue in previous titles. This is an unnecessary problem that could have easily been avoided.

MattW

Administrator
Admin
Big Ant
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Melbourne Stars
Profile Flag
Australia
I'm loath to comment on the fielding radar thing - the 'but you could turn it off' argument suffices for just about any suggested change, so leaves little room for a discussion. Quite obviously, having an optional field radar (not that it'd ever be mandatory) would make some people happy and have no impact on those of us who don't want/need it.

However, I would argue that not having it as an option, just like not having a pitch marker as an option - is a way of forcing players to play the game the way it was intended, thinking about how you can play each ball, not look at the radar to decide where the largest gap is.

Design decisions like this help re-enforce the very different approach to cricket that DBC14 is, and taking away some of the points of safety assists in getting players to forget how they did things in the past and focus on what assistance they do have.

I posted this previously,
I think a good compromise would be if there was a bar shown at the edge of the field of view if there is a fielder in the peripheral vision of the player - similar to what happens in shooters when you're being hit from off screen - a visual indication of what in real life your senses and peripheral vision would tell you.

With the mini-maps, my suggestion has always been that games should make the dot of the players a vague estimation so if you can't really see a fielder, they'd have a large dot showing their general area while those in your direct vision would be a close representation of actual size. If you're fatigued it would be worse still.

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
We thought the pitch marker was a basic thing in cricket games and it's a huge improvement now it's gone. Forget everything about previous cricket games and play this one. At least give the new patched system a chance.

Absolutely... it's one thing to dislike the current situation, but to write-off their solution without having seen/tried it is odd.

zombieian

International Coach
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
I know that I've mentioned it before but I think the reason that fielders cannot be seen is because when you view from the batsman's eyes you get a slightly strange kind of 'tunnel vision' where objects seem further away then they actually are. The batting Pro camera gives this view.
If you viewed the fielders from a 'close batsman' type view I don't think that there would be so much of a problem.
Again, I don't have the game yet so my opinions might change when I actually play it.

grkrama

National Board President
Instead of the position names it could be better to have player names as labels. Once I am able to see the fielder (which is what the label helps do), I can see (visually) what position they are in, so the position name doesn't really mean much to me. Would actually reveal more to me to know whether a particular player (say Ponting) is at point or riding the boundary.

I like this point while its cool to know the position names, it would be even better to know the names of fielders standing as in real life, i wouldnt take on a kohli, warner,bravo but if its someone like ashwin or panesar i can sneak in a second @BigAntStudios ross this would make it terrific IMO
this is also more in tune with realistic approach as batsman looking around know who is were to a good extent and this is something fielding radars wont be able to provide.

Last edited:

zombieian

International Coach
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
If the view from the Batsman's eyes didn't have this 'tunnel vision' effect you might actually be able to see who the fielders were. Two birds with one stone!
(Or not) :)

grkrama

National Board President
If the view from the Batsman's eyes didn't have this 'tunnel vision' effect you might actually be able to see who the fielders were. Two birds with one stone!
not every one is going to play on pro cam. and i havn't got the game but the pro cam was pretty good i didnt notice tunnel vision effect. that could also be due to the nets on either side confining you, check it out on the full game.If you can notice on pro cam then good but the whole prob is here because either people are being lazy or not able to squint for player so the labeling is a really good solutions thats with essence to the game.

Im strongly voting for the player name labels instead of positions, for me that would take the game to next level, i want to pick fielders and exploit them.

Last edited:

ashwinpai

Club Cricketer
Even if a field radar is out of the question, why not have it in the menu like how it is while bowling. Just click down on the d pad and voila, you should be able to see the field map. Can this be done ?
So people then have the option whether or not they want to view the field.

Users who are viewing this thread